Tool boxes are specifically designed storage solutions, allowing you to keep your tools organized, clean, and safe. If you have a collection of tools for working on your car or truck, it’s a great idea to invest in a tool box. They come in a range of materials and designs, meaning you’ll have no trouble finding the perfect tool box for your needs.
We reviewed dozens of tool boxes to identify the best of the best. We looked at features such as the material each box was made from, whether it was portable, or was designed to be stored in your truck bed.
Our top pick is the DEWALT Tough System Case. This tool box combines an extra large interior, with a removable tray, and inner vertical storage. The durable, structural foam walls, and watertight seals provide excellent protection for your tools.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Tool Boxes
|DEWALT Tough System Case
|Homak Industrial Cantilever Steel Tool Box
|Best Budget Buy
|Akro-Mills ProBox Plastic Tool Box
|Best Truck Bed Tool Box
|UnderCover SwingCase Truck Bed Tool Box
|Best Tool Bag
|DEWALT Tool Bag
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: DEWALT Tough System Case
Out of all the tool boxes we reviewed, we selected the DEWALT Tough System Case as our top pick. This tool box is made from a durable and robust blend of structural foam, designed to provide the highest level of protection for your valuable tools. The combination of flexible storage includes a removable tray, and internal vertical storage.
The side and top handles mean it’s easy to carry this tool box. But you also have the option of stacking one or more of these tool boxes on a DEWALT metal carrier, for even easier portability. Reviewers were impressed by the flexibility of this tool box. Professionals noted it can be secured to the side of their work van using wall racks, while others appreciated the watertight seal which protects tools from rain or damp.
DEWALT Tough System Case Key Features:
- Removable vertical compartments for hand tools
- Integrated watertight seal
- Side carry handles
Our Runner Up Pick: Homak Industrial Canitlever Steel Tool Box
For our Runner Up Pick, we selected the Homak Industrial Cantilever Steel Tool Box. This sturdy tool box is made from powder coated 8mm steel, and provides a solid storage solution, with an industrial quality feel. The lid cantilevers open to create 4 stacked shelves, two on each side. Within the base of the tool box, there is plenty of room to store larger tools.
The 3 clasps on the lid of this tool box provide a secure seal, keeping your tools safe. If you want to, you can padlock the central clasp for extra security. There is also a sturdy plastic handle meaning this tool box is easy to transport. This Homak tool box gets plenty of great reviews for its tough, traditional design, which still provides plenty of features.
Homak Industrial Cantilever Steel Tool Box:
- Available in 2 sizes: 22 inch, and 18 inch
- Lockable central clasp
- 1 year warranty
Best Budget Pick: Akro-Mills ProBox Plastic Tool Box
Our Budget Pick is the Akro-Mills ProBox Plastic Tool Box. This rugged plastic tool box has an extra large removable tray within the interior. This is designed to keep your smaller tools easily accessible, while larger tools can be kept in the base.
The steel latch has an over-sized padlock eye, meaning its easy to keep your tools secure. The large plastic handle is designed to be comfortable to carry, an important consideration if you plan to keep heavy tools in your box. Many reviewers on Amazon are extremely happy with this tool box, mentioning that the design means this tool box won’t slide around in your trunk.
Akro-Mills ProBox Plastic Tool Box Key Features:
- Chemical resistant plastic
- Made in the USA
- Lockable latch
Best Truck Bed Tool Box: UnderCover Swing Case Truck Bed Tool Box
If you’re looking for a specific tool box for your truck bed, our suggestion is the UnderCover Swing Case Truck Bed Tool Box. This sturdy, lockable plastic tool box is designed to be fitted to the side of your truck bed. Once installed, the box swings out into the middle of your truck bed, for easy access to all your tools.
The entire tool box is also removable, thanks to the quick release handle. This means you can remove and reinstall the tool box in seconds, an excellent feature if you need to use a variety of tools away from your truck. It’s also available to fit a wide range of different trucks.
UnderCover Swing Case Truck Bed Tool Box Key Features:
- Made in the USA
- 1 year warranty
- Available for driver or passenger side
Best Tool Bag Pick: DEWALT Tool Bag
If you’re looking for the best tool bag, our recommendation is the DEWALT Tool Bag. This offers a huge range of storage possibilities for all your tools. It includes 28 exterior pockets, 3 of which are covered by a secure flap. One pocket has a drawstring, making it perfect for keeping small items safe.
The adjustable, non-slip shoulder strap is comfortably padded, meaning it’s easy to carry this tool bag wherever you need to go. The pop open design allows you to immediately see where your tools are, and to access them quickly and easily.
DEWALT Tool Bag Key Features:
- Heavy duty, double-pull zipper
- Made from ballastic poly fabric
- Solid base pad to protect tools from water, and debris
Who Should Buy a Tool Box
If you ever carry out any maintenance tasks either to your vehicle, or at home, you’ll find a tool box is a very useful piece of equipment! Having somewhere to organize your tools means that it’s easier to keep track of them. Many people choose to have a few tool boxes, for example one with tools for home maintenance, and another with tools specifically for your car or truck.
Choosing equipment for your home or truck can be a lot of fun. It’s a good idea to select any new tools you may need at the same time. Maybe you used our review of the best truck tires to help you choose a new set for your truck. Make sure you include the right tools in your truck tool box so that you can quickly and easily change a tire if you suffer from a blowout.
Important Features to Consider
A tool box should have a few important features. Here’s what to look for when selecting the best tool box to meet your needs:
- Type. Tool boxes come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. If you only have a few, small tools, you may like to use a portable tool box, or tool bag. These will be easier to transport, and weigh less. If you have a more comprehensive set of tools, then a rolling tool box can be useful for keeping all your tools together, without the extra effort of lifting a heavy tool box – simply roll your box on its wheels! If you have a specific set of tools for your truck, selecting a truck bed tool box can be a great way to keep them neat, safe, and secure.
- Material. Tool boxes are typically made from either steel, plastic, or aluminium. Steel boxes are strong and durable, but tend to be heavy, and more expensive than other options. Plastic tool boxes are lightweight, easy to clean, and come in a wide range of designs. They are less durable than metal tool boxes though. Lastly, aluminium tool boxes are lightweight, and this material is popular for truck bed tool boxes for this reason. They are sometimes more prone to denting than steel, as aluminium is slightly softer.
- Size. Tool boxes are available in a huge range of sizes. You might already know roughly what size you need, but if not, take some time to decide before you make your purchase. Using a tool box which is too small can make it difficult to find the right tool, if they’re all crammed in a small space! A tool box which is too big will soon become annoying to move around.
Frequently Asked Questions
What tools does every tool box need?
When it comes to making sure your tool box is fully stocked, there’s a few key items you should make sure to include. We recommend:
• Wrench set
• Screwdrivers in a variety of sizes, both flathead and Philips
• Cable ties
• Duct tape
• Set of Allen keys
What do you keep in your truck tool box?
If you have a specific tool box for your truck tools, there’s a few additional items that can come in handy, including:
• Latex gloves (to keep your hands clean when working with oil)
• Paper towels
• Ratchet set
• Drive sockets
• Locking wheel nut key (if you use them)
• Jumper cables
• Tow strap
• Winter equipment including ice scraper, and snow chains (if necessary)
If you plan to keep your truck tool box in the bed of your truck, you might also like to include a flashlight, first aid kit, and emergency blanket.
What type of plastic are tool boxes made of?
The majority of plastic tool boxes are made from a mix of polypropylene. Plastic tool boxes are durable, and won’t rust if kept in your truck bed.
What size tool box should I buy?
This depends on how many tools you have, and the amount of space you have for storage. If you plan to keep separate tool boxes for home and vehicle, you can probably use two smaller tool boxes. If you’re keeping everything together, your tool box will need to be a bit bigger.
Once you’ve taken into account all your tools, we suggest selecting a tool box which has room for all of these, plus a little bit of extra space. You’ll probably invest in more tools in the future, so make sure you’re future proofing your tool box purchase by making sure it’s big enough!
Other Tool Boxes We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other tool boxes. Although they didn’t make our 5 best tool boxes, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your garage or home. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
Truck Bed Tool Boxes
This large, low profile truck bed tool box provides plenty of space for your tools, but won’t impact visibility from your cab.
- Fully welded seams
- Slimline design
- Made form rust-resistant aluminium
This weather resistant steel box is made using aircraft grade cables, and a replaceable gasket sealing system.
- Black powder coated finish
- Locking stainless steel latch
- Can be mounted in the truck bed, or under the body of your truck
This lockable storage box has plenty of room for a wide selection of tools.
- Available in 3 sizes
- Lockable central latch
- Carry handles on each side
The overlapping lid of this truck bed tool box is designed to protect your tools from the weather.
- Made from corrosion resistant aluminium
- Lightweight design
- Measures 49″ in length
This quality aluminium truck bed tool box measures 30″ in length.
- Lockable latch
- Weatherproof design
- Carry handles
This 12″ tool bag is perfect for storing small items you need for working on your car or truck.
- 16 pockets
- Made from tough, 600D Oxford cloth fabric
- 1 year warranty
This tool bag is packed full of features which allow you to carry a full set of tools with ease.
- 50 pockets
- Zippered side pockets prevent tools falling out
- Vertical inner pockets for easy access
The innovative, backpack design of this tool bag makes it easy to carry your tools from place to place.
- Hard molded base
- Made from tough 1680D ballistic weave fabric
- Bright interior
This durable tool bag is made from heavyweight cotton canvas, for an vintage style.
- Measures 11″ in length
- Full length brass zipper
- 8 interior pockets, 2 exterior pockets
The internal metal frame of this 16″, wide mouth bags means you can instantly locate the right tool for each job.
- 8 interior pockets, 13 exterior pockets, and 8 storage belts
- Waterproof, molded base
- Two padded handles, plus adjustable shoulder strap
Rolling Tool Boxes
This roomy rolling tool box includes a large bottom bin, mid-section organizer, as well as an upper tool box and tray.
- Telescopic handle
- Single front pull-up latch for easy opening
- Rugged wheels
This high quality, rolling tool box is made from cold rolled steel, coated with rust-resistant paint.
- Side handle for easy maneuverability
- Available in black, or red
- Can be split into 2 separate tool boxes
This modular rolling tool box is perfect to keep all your garage tools organized.
- Central lock to secure the entire box
- 16 removable bins and dividers
- Available in black, or red
This chunky plastic tool box features large wheels, and a locking mechanism for added security.
- Extendable handle
- Compartmentalized bins
- Interior tool divider
This heavy duty rolling tool box is made from polypropylene and metal.
- Rugged design
- Removable top tool box
- 24 small compartments, two tool trays, and a deep base for larger tools
Portable Tool Boxes
This plastic tool box measures 16″ in length, and comes with 2 free boxes to hold small items.
- Clear top organizer section
- Lockable eyelet
- Made from recycled materials
This 20″, steel cantilever tool box has 5 trays for easy access to all your tools.
- Can carry up to 66lbs of tools
- Full length steel handle
- Red powder coated finish
If you have a lot of tools, but still want a portable solution, this twin pack is a great choice.
- Made from rugged polypropylene
- Removable interior tray
- Lid organizer on each side of handle
This set includes a 19″ tool box, and a 12.5″ tool box.
- Lockable design
- Built-in organizer on top of lid
- Metal clasps
This heavy duty, 28″ tool box features a soft-grip handle, and patented water-tight seal.
- Made in the USA
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Portable half-tray allows larger items to fit in base