Keeping the interior of your car in top-notch condition is important. Not only do you want to maintain your car so it can bring in a solid resale value, you also want to keep it looking nice for yourself and whoever else steps inside. Floor mats can protect your factory-installed carpets from dirt, mud, salt, and other grime that collects on the bottom of your shoes. You can even opt for all-weather floor mats made from thick rubber that protect your floors even in the case of heavy-duty mud, rain, or snow.
We looked at dozens of floor mats in order to find the best, highest-quality, and most durable floor mats at any budget, based on factors such as quality of materials, Amazon ratings, and other considerations. We narrowed our search down to five of the top-rated car floor mats that are on the market today.
We’ve identified the Platinum Shield Custom Floor Mats (CarCovers.com) as the best floor mat overall. Customized to perfectly fit your car and provide 360° floor coverage, these high-grade synthetic leather car floor mats are an excellent choice for smart buyers.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Car Floor Mats
|Best Car Floor Mat Overall
|Platinum Shield Custom Floor Mats (CarCovers.com)
|WeatherTech Trim-to-Fit Front and Rear
|Best Budget Buy
|BDK MT-100-BK Classic Carpet Floor Mats for Car & Auto
|Best All-Weather Car Mat
|BDK MT614RDAMw1 Metallic Rubber Floor Mats
|Best Universal-Fit Car Floor Mat
|BDK MT-641-RD Universal Fit 4-Piece Set Metallic Design Car Floor Mat
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Best Floor Mat Overall: Platinum Shield Custom Floor Mats (CarCovers.com)
If you’re looking for car floor mats that check all the boxes, look no further than Platinum Shield Custom Floor Mats (CarCovers.com). These car floor mats feature premium-grade synthetic leather construction, as well as thick padding material, waterproof technology, and non-slip traction pads. They are designed to offer 360° floor coverage and withstand all kinds of messes. That means dirt, spills, and scuffs are no match for these durable car floor mats!
Each of CarCovers.com’s car floor mats are customized to fit the precise measurements of your car using 5D computer laser guided measuring. All you need to do get a car floor mat that’s designed to perfectly fit your car’s specs is to select the year, make, model, and body of your car. Then, make your selection from the car mats available for your car. It’s really that simple!
The customized, made-to-order approach CarCovers.com offers means that you won’t need to waste time and energy cutting your car mats to size, or waste money on one-size-fits-all products that don’t actually fit your car. While CarCovers.com’s Platinum Shield custom floor mats are a bit pricier than some other options, they are guaranteed to fit, and even come with free shipping, a 30-day return policy, and a 5-year limited warranty.
Platinum Shield Custom Floor Mats (CarCovers.com) Key Features:
- Made-to-order and guaranteed to fit your car
- Premium-grade synthetic leather construction
- Thick padding material
- Waterproof technology
- Non-slip traction pads
Our Runner Up Pick: WeatherTech Trim-to-Fit Front and Rear
Another amazing option is the WeatherTech Trim-to-Fit Front and Rear. These mats are designed to be trimmed or cut so that they may be customized to fit almost any vehicle. They’re made with heavy-duty thermoplastic elastomer that is odorless, non-toxic, and retains its flexibility in all temperatures. They feature tall ridges and rims to help guide water to the lower half of the mat. There, a small basin keeps fluids and debris away from your feet and clothes. These mats feature a patented “MatGrip” retention device as well as molded-in nibs that keep the mat secured in place. They’re available in black, tan, and gray.
Reviewers love the high quality rubber construction of these mats. They like that it’s thick and heavy and provides intense protection from the elements. They also like that the mats matched nicely with the interior of their car and look like they came with the vehicle. Lastly, reviewers like the detailed instructions that come with the mats on how to trim and size them to fit their vehicle perfectly.
WeatherTech Trim-to-Fit Front and Rear Key Features:
- Designed to be trimmed or cut so that they may be customized to fit almost any vehicle
- Made with heavy-duty thermoplastic elastomer that is odorless and non-toxic
- Tall ridges and rims help guide water to the lower half of the mat
- “MatGrip” retention device keeps the mat secured in place
- Available in black, tan, and gray
Best Budget Pick: BDK MT-100-BK Classic Carpet Floor Mats for Car & Auto
At just $9.38, the BDK MT-100-BK Classic Carpet Floor Mats for Car & Auto is the best floor mat for budget-friendly buyers who don’t want to sacrifice quality for price. This set of four mats includes two mats for the front seat and two mats for the back. The mats are constructed with carpet with a rubbery backing. They feature a water absorbent heel pad. A nibbed backing helps keep the mats securely in place. They feature a universal shape that fits most cars, SUVs, trucks, and vans. The front mats measure 25 by 17 inches and the rear mats measure 13 inches by 17 inches. The mats come in six colors: black, light beige, charcoal gray, burgundy red, dark beige, medium beige, and medium gray to match practically any interior.
Reviewers love the quality of the product for the price. They like the wide array of color choices so that they can find something that matches well with the factory installed carpet. Reviewers also report that the back rubber padding has nibs that hold that in place so it doesn’t slip.
BDK MT-100-BK Classic Carpet Floor Mats for Car & Auto Key Features:
- Constructed from carpet with a rubbery backing
- Water absorbent heel pad
- Nibbed backing helps keep the mats securely in place
- Universal shape that fits most cars, SUVs, trucks, and vans
- Come in six colors
Best All-Weather Car Floor Mat: BDK Metallic Rubber Floor Mats
If you’re looking for an all-weather car floor mat, the BDK MT614RDAMw1 Metallic Rubber Floor Mat is your best bet. They feature a heavy-duty rubber construction with a 3D metallic finish. They’re intended for all types of weather and heavy dirt and debris. Their broad channels and raised edges help trap mud, dirt, and spills to keep it off of your factory installed carpet. They have anti-slip nib backing that helps hold the mats securely in place. They are universally sized and can be trimmed to fit almost any size car, van, or SUV. They comes in three colors: red and black, blue and black, and pink and black.
Reviewers love that the mats are made of heavy rubber that stand up to even the toughest wear and tear. Reviewers report that the fit is easy to customize. Simply cutting the excess rubber on the edges of the mats with a regular pair of scissors and you’re good to go. Lastly, reviewers love the metallic look of the mats that helps brighten up the interior of their vehicles.
BDK MT614RDAMw1 Metallic Rubber Floor Mat Key Features:
- Heavy-duty rubber construction with a 3D metallic finish
- Broad channels and raised edges help trap mud, dirt, and spills
- Anti-slip nib backing holds the mats securely in place
- Universally sized and can be trimmed to fit almost any size car, van, or SUV
- Comes in three colors: red and black, blue and black, and pink and black
Best Universal-Fit Car Floor Mat: BDK Universal Fit 4-Piece Set Metallic Design Floor Mat
If you’re looking for a universal fit floor mat for your car, the BDK MT-641-RD Universal Fit 4-Piece Set Metallic Design Car Floor Mat will not disappoint. These mats are made from durable vinyl and feature an anti-fade, anti-scratch resistant finish. Their bright metallic chrome finish makes them stand out. Due to their vinyl design, they’re easy to wash and dry. The back of the mat features a non-skid rubber backing system. The four peace set includes two front (measuring 27 by 19 inches) and two rear mats (16 by 19.5 inches). They’re made with a universal shape that fits most cars, SUVs, trucks and vans. They come in sharp metallic red, blue, and silver.
Reviewers love the metallic look of the mats, especially at night when their car’s interior light reflects the metallic sheen of the mat. Reviewers also like that the mats are easy to clean. They like that they’re sturdy and won’t rip or tear. They are also impressed with the universal sizing of the mat that seems to fit a multitude of different car makes and models.
BDK Universal Fit 4-Piece Set Metallic Design Car Floor Mat Key Features:
- Made from durable vinyl with an anti color-fade scratch resistant finish
- Bright metallic chrome finish
- Easy to wash and dry
- Non-skid rubber backing system
- Four peace set includes two front and two rear mats
- Universal shape fits most cars, SUVs, trucks and vans
- Come in red, blue, and silver
Who Should Buy a Car Floor Mat
Every day, you track all sorts of messes into your car from rain, snow, dirt, rock salt, and more. You also likely spill drinks or food crumbs on your car floor, especially if you have little ones around. Cleaning your car’s factory installed carpet is no easy task. You can’t remove it for a thorough cleaning nor can you adequately remove all the dirt and grime with vacuuming alone. This is why good quality car floor mats are important. They help protect your car’s carpets from all sorts of dirt, mud, debris, and more.
Keeping the interior of your car in top-notch condition can help you get more value for your vehicle at the time of trade in or sale. It’s also essential if you lease your vehicle to avoid costly fines and fees. You also want to keep your vehicle looking nice and clean for yourself and any passengers who travel with you. Floor mats can help your car looking great. Not only do they provide a heavy-duty barrier between you and your car’s carpet, they can also be removed and cleaned easily. You might also want to check out our review of the best wheel covers for sleek, stylish-looking wheels.
Important Features to Consider
Floor mats should be well-constructed and sturdy enough to stand up to heavy-duty wear and tear. Here’s what to consider when selecting car mats:
- Size. First, you’ll need to ensure that the car mat will fit in your vehicle. Car floor mats come in a wide variety of sizes. Many are designed with universal sizing that allows them to fit in almost any car. Many products with a universal fit allow you to cut the product down to the correct size using a grid system on the outside of the mat. One great way to ensure you buy the correct size mat is to measure the size of the mats that your vehicle came with. You can then compare that size to that of the products you’re looking at to ensure the perfect fit.
- Type. You can find a variety of different types of floor mats on the market. Carpet floor mats provide the least amount of protection against dirt and mud, but they’re also the most comfortable. All-weather car mats are typically made of heavy-duty rubber that will keep your floors protected no matter what type of rain, snow, or mud you track in.
- Quality of materials. Floor mats are typically made of rubber, polymers, or carpeting. Make sure that the model you choose is constructed of heavy-duty materials that will stand up to intense wear and tear. Your floor mat should be intended to last, so choose your material carefully.
- Rime and ridges. If you’re purchasing an all-weather mat, pay attention to the rims and ridges. You want a product that has high edges around the mat to prevent liquids from seeping out onto the carpet. In addition, many mats grooves and channels that direct water from the around around your feet, into a catch basin at the back of the mat.
- Bottom of the mat. One of a car floor mat’s most important features is the mechanisms it uses to keep it from sliding around on the floor. If your mat bunches up and slides around, it can get in the way of your driving or become caught up under your pedals. Most mats are covered with little nubs that dig into the car’s carpet and prevent it from sliding, while other products feature proprietary locking mechanisms.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do car floor mats fit all cars?
All car floor mats do not fit all cars. Many car mats are sized for a specific make and model of car, truck, van, or SUV. Others are universally sized, which means they are intended to fit a wide variety of cars. Many universally sized products have a trim-to-fit feature, which allows you to trim the product down to the correct size using a series of grids on the outermost edge of the mat. However, even these “universal” size mats do not fit all vehicles, so it’s important to double check the size you require.
Can I wash car floor mats?
Some car floor mats can be washed in a regular washing machine and hung to dry. You will need to check the manufacturer’s instructions on care for your specific mat. If your mat cannot be machine washed, you can still clean it. First, remove all dirt and debris by giving it a good vacuum. Then, use regular detergent and a scrub brush to get out any stains. Finally, rinse with a high-powered hose and allow to air dry.
How do you clean all-weather car mats?
All-weather car mats are even easier to clean than those made from carpet or upholstery. All-weather mats are usually made from rubber or polymers that make them super easy to clean. Simply hose these products down with a pressure washer or high-powered hose and scrub with soap and water if needed.
How do I know if a set of floor mats will fit in my car?
To see if a particular set of floor mats will fit in your car, check the manufacturer’s instructions. You’ll find out if the product is universally sized or sized for a particular make or model of vehicle. If you still have the original mats that came with your car, this can come in particularly handy. Simply measure those mats and compare with the product you’re considering to ensure it will fit perfectly.
Other Car Floor Mats We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other car mats. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best car mats, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your vehicle. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
All-Weather Car Floor Mats
These all-weather mats feature tall outer ridges that prevent water, mud, or other spills from leaking onto your carpet. Nibbed backing secures mats stay exactly where you want them.
- Comes in three colors: black, tan, and gray
- Front mat measures 29 by 18 inches; rear mat measures 17.1 by 14 inches
- Waterproof and stain-resistant
Built for durability, these mats are thick and heavy duty mats with deep ridges that keeps liquids off your carpets. This set includes two front mats, a rear liner, and a cargo/trunk mat.
Full Flooring Coverage – Front: 31.5 ” L x 22.5″ W / Rear Liner: 18 ” L x 58″ W / Cargo : 31.5″ L x 50 ” W
Semi-custom fits – trim to fit
- Trim to fit capability allows a semi-custom fit
- Made with 100% odorless rubber
- Comes in black, gray, and beige
Made with high-quality vinyl, these mats are designed to withstand anything you throw at them, including rain, snow, mud, or spills. They’re easy to trim using scissors or shears and offer a truly custom fit that can accomidate most vehicles.
- Waterproof and stain resistant
- Tall outer ridges keep fluids in place
- Available in black, gray, and tan
These all-weather mats are made from EVA rubber that’s 100% odorless. They’re durable and long lasting and will even withstand heavy-duty wear and tear.
- Use regular scissors to trim down your mats to the perfect size
- Thick construction provides superior comfort and protection
- Comes in black, gray, and tan beige
This set of all-weather mats includes two front seat mats, two back seat mats, and a cargo or trunk mat. It’s made to be trimmable to fit your vehicle with just a pair of scissors.
- Rubberized nibs on the bottom so the mat does not move
- Made with rubber polymers that won’t crack, split, or deform
- Comes in black and gray
These floor mats were designed with TriFlex protection that guards against spills, debris, and all-types of weather. They feature ergonomic grooves on the top that provide traction and comfort while driving or sitting as a passenger.
- Advanced performance rubber polymers are tested for extreme conditions
- Can be trimmed to fit your vehicle
- Anti-slip backing keep the mats in place
Intended for a three row SUV, this set of floor mats includes two front seat mats, and two set of liners for two back rows. These mats feature a deep dish design that holds all of your messes and liquids in place so nothing leaks onto your carpet.
- Rubberized nibs on the bottom keep the mat in place
- Universally sized for all three row SUVs
- Built to last through rain, snow, mud, and more
Made of thick, flexible rubber, these mats have ridges and deep grooves to effectively contain dirt and debris. The front mats measure 19 by 28 inches and the rear mats measure 18 by 16 inches, but they can be trimmed to fit your car.
- Non-skid design won’t slip or slide on your floor
- Comes in gray, beige, and black
- One year warranty
Made of flexible rubber, these floor mats can be trimmed to fit your specific vehicle. They features a non-skid design that won’t slip or slide around on the floor.
- Cleans easily with water
- Comes in beige, black, and gray
- One year limited warranty
These mats are made with advanced performance rubber polymers that won’t crack, split, or deform. They’re designed to withstand rain, snow, ice, mud, and so much more.
- Rubberized nibs on the bottom keeps the mat from moving
- Ergonomic grooves provide traction and comfort for your feet
- Comes in gray, black, and beige
Designed to be trimmable to fit any size vehicle, this set of mats comes with five pieces: two front mats, two rear mats, and a cargo/trunk mat. They’re made with ecofriendly EVA rubber that’s 100% odorless.
- Engineered for comfort, durability and complete floor protection
- No-slip nibs on the bottom of the mats keep it in place
- Thick and flexible
Made with heavy duty rubber, these mats are made to last and designed to handle a heavy-duty beating. The colored accent heel pad adds some style to the look of the mats.
- Tall outer rides keep liquids from spilling onto your carpets
- Waterproof and stain resistant
- Comes in eight color combinations
The performance plus rubber that’s used to make these mats is odorless and has been tested to withstand all weather conditions. These mats feature a deep dish center that is a full one-inch deep, trapping any snow, mud, dirt, food or liquids and making it stay put.
- Flexible channels conform to your vehicle’s floor
- 100% odorless material
- Comes in black, gray, and beige
Universal Fit Car Floor Mats
These carpet floor mats feature a strip of durable faux leather on the sides that adds a unique touch. They features a universal design that fits in most sedans, coupes, and small SUVs.
- Nibbled backing keeps mats in place
- Designed for a wide variety of vehicles
- Comes in 13 color combinations
These mats feature a heavy-duty yet plush carpet floor mat, with a graphic design detail. Made from rubber PVC, the backing keeps the mat in place.
- Universal size fits most cars and SUVs
- Absorbent carpeting can soak up water and spills
- Comes in six color combinations
Made of flexible rubber, these mats are perfect for protecting against snow, dirt, and mud. They feature a non-slip design so it stays right where you need it.
- Can be trimmed to fit any car
- Comes in beige, black, and gray
- One year limited warranty
Made from an original patented material, these rubber mats will hold up to even the roughest wear and tear. Special anti-skid nib backing ensures the mat stays put and doesn’t slip.
- Ergonomic grooves provide foot traction and comfort
- Stain resistant and easy to clean
- Come in black, beige, gray, and clear
These mats are constructed with needle punch carpet and a padded heel pad to lengthen the life of the mat. Nibbed backing ensures the mats stay securely in place.
- Weighted nylon carpeting will outlast the competition
- Universal shape to fit most cars, SUVs, trucks and vans
- Available in 12 colors
Made with FlexTough rubber polymers, these mats will never crack, split, or deform. They feature a universal size that can be trimmed to fit any size vehicle.
- Rubberized nibs on the bottom prevent the mat from moving
- Easy to remove and clean
- Comes in black, gray, and beige bronze
Made from odorless EVA rubber, these mats are built to last. They feature a universal fit that’s perfect for most cars, vans, and SUVs.
- Deep inverted shell design
- Ergonomic grooves provide traction and comfort
- Comes in black, gray, and beige