Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject: AFR Gauge With LC-1?
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:32 pm 
Site Admin

Finished the install of the digital AFR gauge on the Studebaker this evening and did a full calibration.

With all the calibrations done that gauge is reading 22.4 in free air?? The ones on the race car that go through the DL-32 usually read 21.9 or so after a free air calibration?

Anyone have any idea why this is? :-k

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject: Re: AFR Gauge With LC-1?
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:40 am 
Site Admin

The LC-1s on the race car are all digital I guess as they are at the beginning of the log chain and not connected to anything but the DL-32 and power/ground/calibration. I can see the gauges on my laptop in dash board and they both usually read within .01 of each other (21.9+/-) after they are free air calibrated.

The LC-1 I've got on the Studebaker is "stand alone", ie, not connected to anything but the gauge and 12v power/ground/calibrate and the brown (LC-1) wire is connected to the blue wire going into the DB digital gauge (without the Innovate logo), which is how it's suppose to be connected according to the gauge instructions.

I guess I need fire up the DL-32 on the dragster some time today with it connected to the laptop and double check my O2 calibration numbers as from what I just found on the internet, we're only suppose to have like 20.9% oxygen in our air so my 21.9 number may be wrong. If it is, then this gauge has a much larger error than I thought.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:57 pm 
Site Admin

Well, checked the DL-32/LC-1s today and I got 20.9 on both in free air so the one on the Studebaker is really off at 22.4 in free air, BUT, if you look at the DB gauge setup manual at the screen shot of the "Analog 2" output it shows that @ 5v = 22.39 AFR, which is within .01 of what mine is actually reading?? :-k

Things that make you go...........hummmm!

So I connected the laptop to that standalone LC-1 on the Studebaker and when it I went to the Analog 2 screen it showed me some REALLY FAR OUT FUNKY NUMBERS??? I tried to make them default but it was a 'no go"! Gauge is still reading 22.4 mind you but that thing is way horked up!!

I guess I'll try to overwrite the firmware tomorrow to see if that will fix it?? :-k

Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:56 pm 
Site Admin

Well, it's not tomorrow but I did fix the funky numbers thingie in that LC-1. Downloaded the newest version of Logwerks from Innovate and it had a new LM1 programmer in it, ie, v3.32 and using that I was able to set it back to factory defaults. That gauge is still reading 22.4 though so I guess that's what it's going to do! I'll wait until I get a chance to run that engine and see what the AFRs look like before I do anything else with it.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

Just got off the phone with Innovate tech support about this gauge reading 22.4. So Felipe says that is correct for a free air calibration reading? He also said that if I took that same LC-1 and connected it to my DL-32 it would only show 20.9 on the dashboard but he says that what I'm seeing is "normal" for an analog gauge connected to the standalone LC-1. He also said that when I start the engine and the sensor starts sampling it will read correctly!

Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:04 pm 
Site Admin

Just took a picture of my "home made" 2 gauge panel with the O2 calibration button and LED mounted. Now I need some decent cruising weather so I can check out that 750 Holley that's on that engine! \:D/

Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:23 pm 

Nice!!!

I'm in Zapata, it's 85˚ and it should be heading your way. =;

Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:10 pm 
Site Admin

webermaniac wrote:
The best part is the radio! \:D/

You got to realize that this car was built back in 1991 and at that time, CD players were few and far in between. It does have 205 watts of power though with Bose speakers. Bad thing about it is wheels up launches took it's toll on it and it quit working years ago. I just never bothered to replace it. I do remember sitting in the staging lanes at Roxboro one night with the rock group Jackyl screaming their hit song "She Loves My Cock"! \:D/

Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

webermaniac wrote:
What happened to the Innovate logo on it?

There's two different ones. One with the Innovate logo and the other without. Wiring is different color codes also. The new Logwerks software package has the two different DB gauges user manuals in it along with the new LM programmer.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:48 pm 
Site Admin

I did a test run with the Studebaker this past Tuesday and that AFR gauge setup seems to work well. AFRs on that 750HP carb were very good in the 2200 to 2400 RPM cruise range @ mid 13s to mid 14s but below and above that RPM it went phat. At WFO it went WAY phat down in the mid 11s range so it definitely needs less jet than is in it now.

Ennywho, just thought I'd do an update to let those that still read here know that the Innovate AFR gauge and LC-1 will show you what you need to know if you don't want to spend the money to buy a data logger.

I found an Innovate AFR gauge kit complete with digital gauge, LC-1 and O2 sensor on fleabay for just under $160 however I would contact Greg Kelly at Motorsports Innovations up in NJ to see if he could match or give a better price. Greg has been excellent as far as both price and tech support goes and I'd rate it as probably the best I've ever had!

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics