Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post subject: A/F reading gadgets
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:57 pm 

Ok all you brainer's, I need some opinions and some facts as to what works for the money spent.

I would like to add into my engine a way to read both sides of the exh. for a/f ratio's and I need it to be affordable enough to do so. I just want to be able to read the a/f ratio's per side to get this engine a bit more balanced.
So what is the best affordable bang for the buck stuff to use?

I can't afford a full on data logging system so that is out, just something to be able to read the a/f ratio's while idleing and going down the track. I can use my GoPro camera to video the gauges too...

Thanks guys. ;-)

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post subject: Re: A/F reading gadgets
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:18 pm 
Site Admin

You'll only need one unless you want to be able to read both sides at the same time. Most of us that check multiple sides/cylinders put bungs in where you want them then move the sensor/s to each location to see what they are doing.

Greg Kelly at Motorsports Innovations in NJ can fix you up with an Innovate deal and a gauge to mount on the dash and NO, I don't get any kick back from him!! He's just been a good guy to deal with in the past. Reason I suggest the Innovate brand is because their AFR stuff is second to none! I just got done mounting an AFR gauge in my Studebaker and all that's left to finish it is connecting the wires, which I'll do after dinner.

On my dragster with the Innovate logger I have bungs in all 8 exhaust header pipes. I also have LC-1s on both sides of the engine so by moving the sensors, in 4 passes I can read all 8 cylinders.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:57 am 

Thanks Ken, and I have been looking at the Innovate stuff too, VERY nice stuff indeed. Looks like I would have to do what you mentioned or buy two complete setup's to read both sides without changing things. Either way is doable, just money to right? ;-)
Thanks again Ken. \:D/

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:39 am 

LM2 will do what you want. I've just started using one in my street car, having a problem getting a good RPM trace but it's reading AFRs in each collector at the same time and that's doing good. It also has the capability of logging other inputs, I'm logging transbrake release and will also log MAP in the future.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:14 am 
Site Admin

Not sure I'd recommend an LM-2 for a "budget" deal. Even with an LM-2, isn't he still going to have to have an LC-1? From problems others have had with the LM-2, I'm not sure that I'd want one of those myself.

In fact, having owned a DL-32 Innovate logger I'd never recommend that anyone else buy one!! If you want a logger then go with either Computech or Racepack. The innovate logger that I have is always screwing up in one way or another and requires almost constant attention to keep it functioning correctly. When it works it works, and when it doesn't, it's a PITA!

If you just want an AFR gauge on the dash, then the Innovate stuff for that is about as good as you can get.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:49 pm 

It can be bought with either one or two O2 sensors for $399 and $599 respectively from Greg.

No LC1 needed to record both banks.

I think it's important to be able to record data and study a pass down the track.

I'm satisfied with mine.

My race car will have a DL32 system with eight LC1's.

I guess it depends on how much money you have to spend and how much you want to fiddle with stuff.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:06 am 

I love my Racepak, but as some body else said " the Sportsman is not expensive, but as soon as you add stuff, the price take off like the space shuttle)
x2, talk to Greg Kelly, he won't steer you wrong.
Cheers Colin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:38 am 

Id recommend the Innovate MTX-L gauge and the pocket recorder thing they make now. They dont make the DL-32 anymore they replaced it with a recorder thats $100.
They have changed the connectors to a proper plug and socket thing now and that should take care of most of the issues people have. The serial plugs they used (that look like a headphone socket) are useless and created tiny interruptions to the signal and the processor reacts to them as a command and all sorts of error and shutdowns occur. The new plugs should fix that.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:27 pm 

Hey shrinker,

That MTX-L stuff looks real interesting ;-) although I like the in dash gauges too, I guess I could get used to plugging in my data to my laptop after each pass :- either that kit or a couple of those LC-1's or don't ehy have the LC-2 kit too :-k thought I saw that on there site... Iwant to be able to keep an eye on the a/f ratio's if possible but not to tune with so much. I think it would be good data to have and log every time I race.

Thanks for the info guys. ;-)

John

shrinker wrote:
Id recommend the Innovate MTX-L gauge and the pocket recorder thing they make now. They dont make the DL-32 anymore they replaced it with a recorder thats $100.
They have changed the connectors to a proper plug and socket thing now and that should take care of most of the issues people have. The serial plugs they used (that look like a headphone socket) are useless and created tiny interruptions to the signal and the processor reacts to them as a command and all sorts of error and shutdowns occur. The new plugs should fix that.

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:16 pm 

shrinker wrote:

We started using the pocket recorder in the dynocell a couple of weeks ago. It has a new interface as mentioned above. It also comes with an adaptor for the older 2.5m plugs. The record button lights up when recording and also will give error codes when there is a problem.

It's working great for us.

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems