Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Under Construction

Post subject: Chassis build videos
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:10 pm 

I'm doing a build series on my Chevelle Chassis build. Its coming along great. Check it out if you like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd8DMdHK ... vV2FD9tb4Q I also have a cool Road Runner Pro Mod in the shop that i have a few vids on.

Post subject: Re: Chassis build videos
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:39 pm 

Nice series of video's. That is a lot of work. I only watched the first 3 so far.

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:10 am 

Hey Jmech,

Your one busy dude up dere in the North country!!!! =; =; =; Chassis looks good so far, nice job.

I have a question or two for ya.
1. Why did you angle the front 2x4 rails up in front of the firewall area?, what will that do for this chassis? was it because you wanted to come close to what the stock frame form was to mount the front suspension?
2. Why did you mount the rack soo far forward vs. being almost inline with the steering arms? Wouldn't you want them in line with the arms as much as possible, and in line also with the forward A-arms pivots kind of like you have it???

Just curious as I am installing my TRZ rack and mine is darn near straight accross from steering arm to arm!!! Trying to learn something from you North country guys don't you know! :-$ :-k
Keep up the good work and the video's. ;-) I love the injection setup too \:D/

ps, did you happen to scale the Chevelle before the work started?

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:16 am 

WR169 wrote:
Nice series of video's. That is a lot of work. I only watched the first 3 so far.

Hey Steve,

I was looking into some old post's on the other site and it went back to 2007??? forgot already :- but it was when you guys baught a big block and were looking to install that in the wagon, did you get rid of all that stuff? I think you did but just checking...

jmech is doing a kick a$$ job on that Chevelle hey? =;

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:28 am 

Yeah John we sold it all except the stock water pump and valve covers.

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:36 am 

The rails are up 7* so i could get the rack and pinion under them and the glass body mounts to line up. I didn't want the frame rails below the front end. Now they are hidden with the front end on. Also it was easy to mount the controle arms to the rack crossmember to get them level and eliminate bump steer and any binding. The rack is mounted forward for clearence. I have a big oil pan and crank mandrel for the fuel and vac pumps. I actually had it even farther forward with the stock frame to clear the pan and get a good angle in the steering U joints. I used TRZ steering arms but made my own rack mounts. If your thinking of using a different pan in the future on your Elky it might be a good idea to put the rack forward now before its all welded in, also helps with steering U joint angles. The Chevelle was 2740lbs without me in it before i started. Ya the injection is sick!! Cant wait to get it on the dyno.
Elkyman wrote:
Hey Jmech,

Your one busy dude up dere in the North country!!!! =; =; =; Chassis looks good so far, nice job.

1. Why did you angle the front 2x4 rails up in front of the firewall area?, what will that do for this chassis? was it because you wanted to come close to what the stock frame form was to mount the front suspension?
2. Why did you mount the rack soo far forward vs. being almost inline with the steering arms? Wouldn't you want them in line with the arms as much as possible, and in line also with the forward A-arms pivots kind of like you have it???

Just curious as I am installing my TRZ rack and mine is darn near straight accross from steering arm to arm!!! Trying to learn something from you North country guys don't you know! :-$ :-k

John

Post Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:49 am 

jmech wrote:
The rails are up 7* so i could get the rack and pinion under them and the glass body mounts to line up. I didn't want the frame rails below the front end. Now they are hidden with the front end on. Also it was easy to mount the controle arms to the rack crossmember to get them level and eliminate bump steer and any binding. The rack is mounted forward for clearence. I have a big oil pan and crank mandrel for the fuel and vac pumps. I actually had it even farther forward with the stock frame to clear the pan and get a good angle in the steering U joints. I used TRZ steering arms but made my own rack mounts. If your thinking of using a different pan in the future on your Elky it might be a good idea to put the rack forward now before its all welded in, also helps with steering U joint angles. The Chevelle was 2740lbs without me in it before i started. Ya the injection is sick!! Cant wait to get it on the dyno.
---------------------------------------
Oooh, ok, makes sense now, thanks.
Thanks also for the oil pan clearance thing too as I am changing to a larger pan as well. Thanks also for the rack info, good to know I have other issue's to work with. ;-) Boy, I wish my Elky could be that light!!!, well, it could, but for a price of course! :-
Good luck with the build, and where are those new video's???????????? =; =; =;

Elkyman wrote:
Hey Jmech,

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:20 am 

I got the chassis painted yesterday. With the new chassis, glass doors and lexan windows i'm hoping to get it around 2400lbs.

Board index » Racing Forum » Under Construction