Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: Mystery Oil Leak?
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:35 am 
Site Admin

Was under my Dodge this past week pulling the transmission out and noticed that the rear housing was wet with oil that seems to be coming from the pinion oil seal? This seal was put in new back a year or two ago when I put the new rear gear in it?? Funny thing is, it's not leaking anything just sitting there as I cleaned all the oil off it and it hasn't leaked a drop in two days now? :-k

Oh, and yes, it's full of oil so there's plenty there to run out.

So the question is, why would it only leak when the truck is running down the highway?? [-(

Post subject: Re: Mystery Oil Leak?
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:33 pm 

The leak could be above the oil when sitting...Another words no leaking from the oil level down but when turning the oil being splashed to where the leak is.... O:) Make sense #-o

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:13 pm 

Make sure there's no play in the pinion bearing. Usually when the pinion bearing gets loose the pinion will move in and out and if there's any wear on the seal surface of the yoke it will work the seal across that. The seal could be leaking while the pinion is spinning and not when it's static depending on the condition of the seal surface.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

Chuck, no slack in the pinion as that was my first thought also?? No noise from the rear end either.

Just got back from a 16 mile test run and that thing is dry as a bone!!?? It hasn't been leaking long as I haven't noticed any oil on the shop floor until last Saturday when I started pulling the transmission out? No oil blown back on the trailer hitch or spare tire either that I can see. :-k

Ennywho, I've got a new seal here but I'm not going to fix it until I'm sure it's broke. That's a crush sleeve preload deal and I'd rather not mess with it unless I absolutely have to.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:55 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
That's a crush sleeve preload deal and I'd rather not mess with it unless I absolutely have to.

I figured that would have a Dana in it and most of those use shims for pinion bearing preload?

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

gearhead1011 wrote:
Ken0069 wrote:
That's a crush sleeve preload deal and I'd rather not mess with it unless I absolutely have to.

I figured that would have a Dana in it and most of those use shims for pinion bearing preload?

Humm, you might be right Chuck? I was thinking it was a crush sleeve though.

Oh, and I think I might have figured out what the problem is. I'm wondering if the breather tube is stopped up? :-k Might have a dirt dauber nest in it and that would make it leak when it gets hot and pressure builds up inside the housing.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:12 pm 
Site Admin

Well, it's leaking again?? Looks like it's coming from the passenger side of the seal. I checked on here and that rear gear was put in back in March of 2010.

So I guess that seal will get changed out Monday. =P~

Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

Ok so Barry, you were right about the oil level in this rear end as it's right at the bottom of that pinion seal. Measured it with a tape measure and there's only about a half inch of oil in that area.

So it looks like there is a groove where the seal has run causing the leak so I called the parts store just now and they've got a Speedy Sleeve set aside for me and I'll put that on that yoke tomorrow along with that new seal I bought. Hopefully that will cure that problem and I can start putting some miles on that thing.

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes