Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:02 am 

Guys, collecting parts now to convert my 3 circuit to a 2 circuit but I have a question as to if the internal linkage is okay for a transbrake car or if the 1:1 conversion would be better? Setup is a
416ci LS3 backed by a 8" conv and a powerglide w/brake. PTC setup the converter for 5700 stall and said to leave the line at 4800-5000rpm to start.

Anyone with real life situations or thoughts?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:11 am 
Site Admin

I don't think the linkage matters one way or another on a RACE CAR! If it's street driven and running a power valve then the progressive linkage would be better.

On a personal note though, I do like the 1:1 on a drag car as it gets the pump shots done at the same time and I like that part when recording O2 data as the pump shots are done at the same time. My methanol 1150 "A" carb is standard Holley 1:1 and my 1150 "B" carb has the BLP "clone" linkage I made, which has the secondaries coming in just a little behind the primaries. Both work equally well off the Pro Stage and Transbrake.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:43 am 

Thinking as I was driving to work this AM, would the fact that this is a tunnel ram with a rather large plenum area make more sense with a 1:1?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:29 am 
Site Admin

While I can't give you specific info to back this up, I suspect that the 1:1 ratio would be better especially on a single carb TR since those things are known to be somewhat lean the corners even at WFO.

On the other side of that coin though, at part throttle with progressive linkage you're not likely to hurt that thing even if the rear cylinders are leaner than the others as there's probably not enough cylinder pressure to make it detonate.

Last summer I bought the 1:1 linkage to go on my dual gas 4150 HP carbs that I ran on my TR but never did get a chance to try them before I pulled it off and went back with a single carb. Again, my primary reason for this was to get the pump shots over with so I could get a more accurate O2 reading earlier in the run.

And on another note, if you can afford it I'd change that thing over to external linkage as jmarkaudio had one of the internal linkage screws come out of a customer's carb he was testing on his engine last summer and it did hork up a piston or valve on it's way into the cylinder.

And as usual, your mileage may vary! ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:48 pm 

That was my next question....internal or external linkage? I have a .125 4 hole safety plate under the carb. Thats should be good enough to prevent anything dropping...?
Internal is considerable cheaper and looks to be about the same as far as installation time/skills.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:14 pm 

That plate is fine as I used one for years...External is better as you can play with opening rates and can be changed real quick..But internal or external you have to check those screws that hold the throttle blades ;-)

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:27 pm 

tsfso59 wrote:
That was my next question....internal or external linkage? I have a .125 4 hole safety plate under the carb. Thats should be good enough to prevent anything dropping...?
Internal is considerable cheaper and looks to be about the same as far as installation time/skills.

Actually if you have to buy shafts you are better off with external and the price is cheaper.

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems