Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » E85 Fuel Systems

Post subject: winter storage?
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:54 pm 

I am done till April so should I completely drain the fuel and clean the system or maybe put some pump gas in it???

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject: Re: winter storage?
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:05 pm 
Site Admin

I drain the system then spray my BLP fuel pump with WD-40 as it's the only spray lube I know of that's compatible with methanol. Not sure about ethanol though.

It won't hurt to put some gas in it as gas will actually soften up the hoses after they've been in methanol for a while. I drained mine yesterday and plan to put some old C12 in it that was left over from the spring. Got the gas carb on it also so I can heat cycle the engine before I drain the oil out. May do that tomorrow since it's suppose to be warm again like today.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:21 pm 

Solvent S12 is a good perfectly safe Hydrocarbon for storage and cleaning. It has zero health effects and doesn't eat into anything. You may know it as Shellite, or Coleman's fuel for their camping burners. Id dunk the carby in that stuff and whatever parts you could take off easily, then put av-gas in the system, reinstall the components and start the engine on AV-gas. Av-gas doesn't corrode, it doesn't gum, it perfect stuff. Fully heat the engine by just idling and slowly revving without bashing the throttle because its only av-gas on a high comp motor and all should be sweet. Drain the oil and put fresh stuff in it before doing the heat cycle and the dissolved Ethanol should be gone. If the car gets cold and its got ethanol anywhere in the oil etc it may separate out and have standing water, but the oil has detergents to take care of that but if its not circulating that stuff may not work.
Alternately you could just live in OZ, doesn't get cold here. =;

Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:00 pm 

Drain the oil?? It's got 4 runs on it since it was changed..Ken do you let it sit for the winter with no oil in it??

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

Beretta wrote:
Drain the oil?? It's got 4 runs on it since it was changed..Ken do you let it sit for the winter with no oil in it??

Nah, it's just time to change it and I'll do that soon. That oil has been in this engine now for two seasons! O:) I'm going to pull the engine out anyway so the oil change will happen more because of that than anything else. I'll have the pan off and will check bearings too when I change the cam timing.

If it does sell, then it will be ready for whomever buys it and if it doesn't, then it will be ready for me if I ever run it again.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:17 am 

I dont know how cold it gets in your place but if you drain the oil you can store it correctly and its not subject to oxidization and condensation. Then you put it back in and go again.

Board index » Racing Forum » E85 Fuel Systems