Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:33 am 

No worries Adger, like you said we will get through this. I was the only person on my team who had a clue on what was going on in tech and there were a few things that obviously had me -------> :-k I was freaking out all week anyways cause I knew things would be VERY close. I'm glad I went through it cause I learned how tech goes and learned how to do a few things a little differently. All I could do was be polite and stay positive. I called Gene Adams to give him some grief (teased him LOL =; ) a little for a few mishaps that weren't communicated to me very well. I guess that's what happens when your team is across five states.

We were on to that for the finals and Scott tweaked a few things but I knew we didn't have enough for Brad to win. We got closer and I think I shocked quite a few people on my collector change and how much it picked up. I knew it was gonna work and guessed 30-40 points, I plan to contact Larry Meaux and thank him for Pipemax personally. =D> This is the one area we didn't test on because all of our other electrical gremlins this year but it sure was nice having an "Ace" in your pocket. It was very obvious on Scott's graphs that she was chocked off so I was pretty confident things would come together for Friday. Didn't know there was a big betting pool on me and Steve Dulcich said he won it - was within one point. =; Had a blast on my vacation, glad to have met you, and hopefully we can come back to compete again, just waiting on the rules. :-$

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:58 am 

Nick, congratulations to you and the rest of the team on your second place finish!

Good job!

Oh, and I think your score is wrong ?? They didn't add in your points for the nostalgia factor!!! =;

That early hemi deserves a few points just for that, don't you think??

Randy

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:59 pm 

You are right... the score could have been higher. I believe they lost 10 points because of a spark plug brand change. Bob had such a sick look in his eyes when he saw the plug I pulled.
I "felt" for him.. He was a gentelman and took it like a man, no complaints. Great team leader!!
What I want to know is how much do those o'2 sensors confuse the flow in the 8 ex pipes. The have to be, or they are nothing like I've seen before. Most sensors are big hulking projections...Aren't they in there downsizing the pipe & obstructing any sonic wave pulses??
Adger

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:42 pm 

Adger Smith wrote:
You are right... the score could have been higher. I believe they lost 10 points because of a spark plug brand change. Bob had such a sick look in his eyes when he saw the plug I pulled.
I "felt" for him.. He was a gentelman and took it like a man, no complaints. Great team leader!!
What I want to know is how much do those o'2 sensors confuse the flow in the 8 ex pipes. The have to be, or they are nothing like I've seen before. Most sensors are big hulking projections...Aren't they in there downsizing the pipe & obstructing any sonic wave pulses??
Adger

Well his look and my look about the rod bearing brand probably looked the same. #-o

The O2's do not really hurt the flow because they are down the primary tube a long ways. Had they been located closer to the port I think it would be more of an issue then. We actually did some A-B testing with them in and out and there was virtually no difference. I know another PHR guy (photographer, forgot his name - shorter dark haired guy) stopped by at Applebee's on Friday night to ask that very question when we were sitting at the bar.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:03 pm 

LOL, you mean when I identified them as Brand XX ? :~) sorry,sometimes I can't help myself. Yea, I know who you are talking about, but old timers and being tired have his name locked in my memory bank. Funny he would ask, too...
Adger

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:48 am 

Now I remember: Chris Campbell

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:14 pm 

Late to the party, sorry - hadn't been on MSV in waaaaay too long.

Here's some data y'all might find interesting.

The reason we knew that our home dyno and the UNOH dyno were matched up pretty well is this graph, our best pull in Chico (at ProMachine) and our best Qualifying pull at EMC 2012. As you can see, power at the hit and at the top of the pull were basically identical. That means something else is afoot, at least in my tuner mind:

Nick immediately took over, feeling that this was an exhaust tuning issue. I'm glad because, there just wasn't much left in the actual EFI and ignition tuning.

This next graph compares our best EMC Qualifying pull to our best Finals pull, this is strictly the improvement made by the exhaust collector extensions and just a tiny bit of tuning. You know it's good when the engine wants more fuel after a change:

Adger, I specifically wanted to thank you here for your professionalism and obvious desire to help the racers do the best they can at EMC, while at the same time making sure everyone's following the rules. You do such a great job at the event. Hope to see you next year!

-Scott

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:38 pm 

Here's another comparison. This is the 2012 competition version (Hilborn/Smithberg/etc EFI injector) versus a competition-legal dual plane manifold and a decently tuned carburetor. This team has been good about keeping their options open in case the EFI setup doesn't make more power than the carb'd combination. Obviously the carb version is hampered by EMC rules... and doesn't have Nick's work on the manifold either.

Peak torque difference is 60 ft-lbs.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:11 am 

Scott,
Thanks.
I appreciate the big pat on the back. I enjoy the EMC and strive for only the best for the program and the participants. I do enjoy eveyone there and hope I'm able to do my job with a smile and be courtious to them all. I like it so well if I'm not ask back to work I will be there either as a competitor or just a spectator. I do hope I'm back working and trying to make the program go smoother and more efficently.
You guys did a great job. BTY didn't I tell you those "o" rings were going to be trouble for me. I knew going in what the outcome would be with my measurements. I hadn't though about them and didn't have the correct formula in my computer. Glad my boss Wesley had it covered!! :~)
Thanks for sticking with us and not being upset about the delay. All of you guys, esp. Bob handled the delay real well and were understanding about it. I just wish I could have seen Gene Adams face when Nick was talking to him on the phone. Esp. after he told him it was O.K. :~)
The spirit and determination of your team is living proof that Dan's dream does live on.. Congtats on your success!

Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:56 pm 

Yeah, Gene and I had a few conversations. We will be better organized next year if we can do it all over again. Now the waiting period for the new rules.........

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech