Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » E85 Fuel Systems

Post subject: Re: E85 test
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:34 pm 

None in America. I might decide to do it one day, but not now.
The top is that shape to straighten the air flow.
The models on the web site are still made but I make others now. I cant update the web page with new pictures because I dont have the prog anymore.
The biggest carby I have made so far is 1340 CFM 4 barrel. I can make any size and any number of barrels. Its a pain but every carby finishes up a unique item, its expensive to make stuff like that but some people want that uniqueness. Everyone of my customers in a racing class has become a champion once running my stuff.
People think the prosystems SV-1 is the same as mine but its actually worlds apart.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:49 pm 

Didn't you have one of your carbs in the "Carb Challenge"

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:24 pm 

That carb challenge was Marks carby I was involved in the setup of it. Marks a great guy to work with, he learns fast and is dedicated to the work necessary to understand. That's why he's good at it.
A Smartcarby is nothing like a Holley, it takes a different type of work ethic and different experiments to optimize it. You know how I keep saying power is about homogenization and vaporization well thats what you can control accurately with a Smartcarby. You cant control those factors accurate enough with a Holley. I'm possibly one of the few people who actually understands how these factors work because I have spent decades understanding it. I had to make my carby as a tool for engine development. Its a great tool for revealing what is wrong with an engine. It shocks a lot of people.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:12 am 
Site Admin

shrinker wrote:
None in America.

FYI, you might not have ever sold one here but according to Doug Schriefer at Braswell there is at least ONE Smart Carby here in the "States". He told me that he had worked with one that had come here on an engine that was bought from someone in Oz. ;-)

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:48 am 

i know where they all are. There are none outside Australia.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:02 am 

shrinker wrote:
That carb challenge was Marks carby I was involved in the setup of it. Marks a great guy to work with, he learns fast and is dedicated to the work necessary to understand. That's why he's good at it.
A Smartcarby is nothing like a Holley, it takes a different type of work ethic and different experiments to optimize it. You know how I keep saying power is about homogenization and vaporization well thats what you can control accurately with a Smartcarby. You cant control those factors accurate enough with a Holley. I'm possibly one of the few people who actually understands how these factors work because I have spent decades understanding it. I had to make my carby as a tool for engine development. Its a great tool for revealing what is wrong with an engine. It shocks a lot of people.

So what your saying is you build an engine to work with your carb as we make the carb work on the engine =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:48 am 

shrinker wrote:

Do you have GPS tracking on all your carbs??????? Just busting you Bruce but if someone purchased an engine
that had one on it what could you do???

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:46 am 
Site Admin

Beretta wrote:
shrinker wrote:

Do you have GPS tracking on all your carbs??????? Just busting you Bruce but if someone purchased an engine

All I know is that Doug mentioned this in a conversation we had back several years ago and being the "professional" gentleman type guy that he is and always has been on here, I don't think he had anything to gain by lying to me about it. :-k

I expect most all those carb guys wind up with other ppls carbs over time if for no other reason than to look at what the other guy is doing that you're not. ;-)

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:10 pm 

Beretta wrote:
shrinker wrote:

I have bought back my own carbys. I keep a very close eye on them.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:13 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:

All I know is that Doug mentioned this in a conversation we had back several years ago and being the "professional" gentleman type guy that he is and always has been on here, I don't think he had anything to gain by lying to me about it. :-k

I have issue here with people claiming to make my carby, People claim they know me and they dont, They claim they have one and they dont, They claim they know how they work and they dont. So who knows what Doug got, but its not one of mine.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:16 pm 

So if some one wanted to purchase one here in the US you would not sell one to him??

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:17 am 

At this stage I wouldn't just go ahead and sell one into the US. Its really hard to get one out of me even here in Oz. I'm really fussy about who gets one.
There are a lot of things to put in place to sell internationally. I aim to do it one day but I have other more important life issues going on at the moment.

Beretta wrote:
So what your saying is you build an engine to work with your carb as we make the carb work on the engine =;
I have done it that way around. But most people wont go that far, so the normal is to setup the fueling to the engine. But I always tell them what could be improved on their engine. Sometimes I just pop my carby on to see how the engine is then it tells me which direction to go with the Holley.
What the control of some aspects of fueling an engine allows is testing to determine how the burns are proceeding within the chamber. You have to use a gas bench and a dyno to do it and do some testing of fueling techniques with consistent AFR but different atomization etc. AFR is not the important thing with fueling that people concentrate on. Carburetor testing can even reveal port turbulence issues. Its very interesting how you can influence the progression of a burn. The power definitely follows the vaporization. When you pull the engine down you can see the same information as the gas bench picture of whats going on in the chamber. My carby is a really good tool for combustion analysis. Sometimes it make minimal power increase but it always improves engine life and reduces running costs. Typical is colder water temps, double the ring life, double the time to leakdown limit, oil analysis tests indicate much lower metals and HC levels, and less fuel consumption. Usually people with expensive engines save the price of the carbys in one season, so there in front after that.

The American approach over history has been to not fiddle with the design principles of the Holley and fiddle with the engines. That's a good way that in my way of thinking that was OK for many years but now the power per cube is reaching a point where some development work on carburetion is necessary. The EFI people have it easy as they can change injector design and alter vaporization that way. It works with effective results on EFI systems and Ive done the same thing to carbys. That's all there is too it.

Board index » Racing Forum » E85 Fuel Systems