Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics

Post subject: New personal best
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:01 pm 

Although I had a bad day at the track Saturday I did manage to set a new personal best. We got to the track early enough to make a time run during open session and although it wasn't the nicest pass I had made it went 8.160 off the trailer with a headwind that had to be at least 20 MPH. The weather station indicated it would run a 8.15 based on the last pass we made at that track with the carb jetted wrong. On the 1st session the car rattled the tires it spun so hard and I grabbed 2nd a little early. The car picked the front end up and carried it most of the way through 2nd. It ran a 8.29 at 165.7 on that pass. The next pass I left everything like it was and tried the other lane. On that pass it didn't spin but it felt like it twisted on the launch and as I moved down track it got far enough out of the groove I decided to abort the run. I was out of it on that pass before the 1/8 mile and coasted through the 1/4 with a 9.77 at 97 MPH. That was all for the time runs. Looking over the data logs I noticed the clutch slip had dropped drastically and I didn't see any indication of wheel spin. The air was improving and I came to the conclusion that I was making more power because of it and the engine was holding the RPM and preventing the clutch from slipping. Knowing I wasn't going to be able to compete like this I decided to make a couple of subtle changes to my car. I added 1/2 lb of air to the slicks and took 40 lbs of base off of the clutch. The weather station was calling for a 8.09 but we didn't know how much the changes would help and decided to play it safe and dial 8.13 for 1st round. The car left like a rocket and I knew it was on a good pass. the guy I was running that round was dialed on a 12.19 and as I was closing in at the top and lifted I saw his car nose dive. He grabbed the brake at the last minute and although he broke out I broke out worse but ran a 8.077 @ 162.33. Here's all the incrementals.

60'_______1.129
330'______3.304
1/8 ET____5.134
1/8 MPH__138.14
1000'_____6.720
1/4 ET____8.077
1/4 MPH__162.33

The DA for the 1st pass was a little over 1,800' and was at 524' for this pass and it got down to 167' a little over an hour later right before I shut down the weather station.

The really bad part of this race is the guy I ran 1st round dialed a 12.19 and our rules have a minimum for QS of 11.99. He broke his motor at the last race and borrowed this one to finish up the season with and that's about all it would run. He along with me and 2 others are within 5 points of each other for 2nd place in the points with one more race left. I was the second pair out and the guy I was next to was pulled out for the bye and I didn't see this guy or his dial until I was rolling out to the water. I think he should have been DQ'd for the dial but apparently our director told him it was OK to dial it where he did. I protested after the round to no avail.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post subject: Re: New personal best
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:10 am 

If it stuck you may have a 7 second pass there O:) ..

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:05 am 
Site Admin

CONGRATULATIONS CHUCK on that new personal best! While a race win would be nice, all is not lost when you can run faster than you ever have before!! ;-)

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:39 am 

Congrats Chuck on the personal best. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ That guy should have been made to run the 11.99 no matter what.

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:29 pm 

Beretta wrote:
If it stuck you may have a 7 second pass there O:) ..

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. The way conditions were improving I should have been real close to a 7 that night.

Ken0069 wrote:
CONGRATULATIONS CHUCK on that new personal best! While a race win would be nice, all is not lost when you can run faster than you ever have before!! ;-)

Thanks Ken. Little consolation but it's better than nothing. ;-)

WR169 wrote:
Congrats Chuck on the personal best. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ That guy should have been made to run the 11.99 no matter what.

Thanks Steve. I agree he should have. After the round I asked Dave if he was going to let him dial like that all night and how many more of our members was it going to tick off and if he was going to make him dial the minimum that it would be even more unfair to me. I don't want to come off as a whiner but that crap just wasn't right. I asked our director, Dave that he either DQ the driver or we could rerun with him dialing the 11.99 and I considered the rerun a generous offer. The air was rapidly improving and if he went 12.16 on the brakes he would probably be off by only a tenth by the time we would have raced. When he refused to do that Eddy asked him to just put me back in for the next round. He responded with "we've never done that before" then later turned us down on that too. Both the director and the racer have apologized to me since but it's a too late to correct it now. I have decided to skip the last race and I don't have any plans for going back next year.

Chuck's Automotive

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:16 pm 

I can understand that. It wasn't the first time they pulled stuff on you. Are you going to run the door slammers. We plan on running Sunday only.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:40 pm 

I haven't decided for sure about the doorslammers I figure if I do I'll run top sportsman. We are running the bracket finals at US60. Are you guys running that? I missed that race last year because the last UMTR race was the same weekend as it is this year. The original plan for this year was to run Friday and Sunday at Hardinsburg and going to Edgewater for Saturday but since I decided to skip that race we'll be at Hardinsburg for all 3 days.

Chuck's Automotive

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:49 am 

top sportsman??? Can't run that here unless you can run in the 7.30's and that may get you in the field O:) ..

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:11 am 

Beretta wrote:
top sportsman??? Can't run that here unless you can run in the 7.30's and that may get you in the field O:) ..

The Valley is 1/8 mile with a minimum dial of 5.29. Depending on conditions I would be on the slower end of qualifying. The NHRA rule is 5.29 1/8 and 7.99 1/4 so I wouldn't be quick enough for the 1/4 unless the air was real good. Is the rule at your track 7.30s because you're running 1,000'? If that's the case I wouldn't have any problem making that.

Chuck's Automotive

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:28 am 

We will be in Indy for the NMCA/LSX World Finals the 12-14th of Oct. It is also a double point race. It seems like everytime we go to Hardinsburg we end up breaking something so we have been staying away. :- ;-)

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:55 am 

No they don't do the TS at out local track..Usually at Raceway or Atco and only qualify 16 cars. So a 7.30 et just may get in but a sub 7 sec run will for sure..And all race 1/4 mile....

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:29 am 

They'll qualify 32 here if they get that many, the last race they had I heard they had 24 or maybe 26. So the index isn't 7.30 but that's what it usually takes to qualify?

Chuck's Automotive

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:32 am 

My boy decided he wanted to race this weekend so we went to the Valley for a little testing to get him some seat time last night. 1st pass he only ran a 6.02 and told me he didn't realize until he was near the top of the track that he was only at about 1/2 throttle. 2nd pass he got a little out of shape and lifted coasting through with a 6.20. I lowered the stage RPM a little for the next pass. He said he felt like he got the jitters out of the way and was ready to make a serious pass. 3rd shot he went 5.10 @ 136 and was moving around some on that one. We made a small adjustment to the tire pressure and I told him I could soften it up a little more because maybe the track just wasn't there. He felt like it was OK and just wanted to leave it alone. 4th shot he went 5.09 and we had to check my best pass to make sure I was still quicker than he was. Yeah my best was 5.094 and his was 5.095 so technically I was still quicker than he was. The last pass he made was about perfect. Nice wheels up launch down the middle of the track for a 5.08. He was still just a little late on the shifts so there should be more in it. The air was around 1300' and the track was decent for a test night. I have a few pounds on him so it's lighter with him driving. If we get some really good air Saturday and the way the track hooks on race day he should be able to go a little quicker than that. Stay tuned.....

Chuck's Automotive

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:45 am 

Hope you get a 4.9X this trip!

Good luck!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:59 am 

I have to tell you that is a very quick 1/8 mile as I think my quickest is a 5.18 at 136 and with a short time of 1.13 it get your attention real fast O:) ...Nice runs Chuck & son (boy) =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics