Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:53 pm 

Had this happen yesterday on a Dominator I was reworking, the carb was no more than a year old, a name custom build, but not performing well. Kind of rushed to turn it around, I neglected to check the linkage and throttle plate screws. Bolted it on my engine to test... Silly me... ](*,) Everything got pulled and red Loktite. And two throttle blade screws were about 1/4 turn loose as well. [-(

Good news is it came out, I still need to do a compression check. If it checks out I may be good with only screw marks on the piston and quench of the head where it was stuck.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

You didn't have that stuff loose did you? I mean, it was like that when you got it from someone else, right? :-k

I had heard of this happening before but never knew anyone directly involved. Now I do. [-( Lets just hope that you've dodged a bullet and not collapsed a ring land.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:23 am 

Bottom side of a Dominator..That is the reason I always use a "safety plate" with a open spacer but they don't help when you have a plate screw fall out :- ..

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:17 am 
Site Admin

Oh, and for the record. Mark didn't do anything to cause this as it was like this when he got it from the owner? :-k

I guess it never hurts to check though, hey! And I'll bet that will be on his checklist from now on! ](*,)

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:29 am 

Beretta wrote:
Bottom side of a Dominator..That is the reason I always use a "safety plate" with a open spacer but they don't help when you have a plate screw fall out :- ..

By plate screw do you mean for the butterfly? The screw in Marks pic looks like a linkage screw to me, something a safety plate should catch.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:09 pm 

I normally have a 4 hole plate for my cable to attach to, this carb is a 2.190 throttle blade, I had to use a custom open spacer to test with to clear the butterflies. I did a compression check this morning, that cylinder is down 50 lbs and after more pics with the inspection cam I see where the screw got between the intake valve and seat. Guess it's time to put the SB2 back in... What I can't figure out is why Holley linkage was used. It is cheaper when building from scratch as this was to use an external shaft setup and eliminate the linkage.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:03 pm 

gearhead1011 wrote:
Beretta wrote:

By plate screw do you mean for the butterfly? The screw in Marks pic looks like a linkage screw to me, something a safety plate should catch.

Yes Chuck, I have heard of them falling out and doing the same thing. Safety plate won't help them

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:00 pm 

Wow, that's got to suck. Trying to help somebody and that happens.
I'm going to pull mine and check every thing.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:31 pm 
Site Admin

The screws in a "factory" Holley are staked on the threaded end after they are installed. I try to do that also on the ones that I remove and reinstall butterfly screws on. That and some Locktite.

Board index » Racing Forum » Fuel Systems