Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics

Post subject: Trailer Problem!
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:12 am 
Site Admin

Well, looks like this used trailer I bought from that "piece of s**t" Dave Weakly [-o< in Harrisburg, Pa has a bent axle! :-

Got to Roxboro this evening for a T&T and when walking back to the ramp door I noticed cord showing on the inside of the right rear tire?? Changed it out and put the spare on to get back home but now I got to figure out if I can fix it or will have to replace it? ](*,)

Anyone know of a cheap place to buy a 3500lb torsion axle? [-( Or where I might find a good used one?

Post subject: Re: Trailer Problem!
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:06 am 

Your not going to find a used one I would not think so anyway. Northern tool in your backyard I think has them listed on line so there may be a thought but not going to be cheep... :-

I was looking at my tires last weekend and there waring somewhat funny on thge back and look like they need to be rotated. Anyone do that??

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:30 am 

I had the same problem with mine when I got it. Most of the tires on it didn't have much left on them so I bought 6 new ones. 600 miles later I had cord sticking out of the RF. I later found out the guy that sold me the trailer knew about it so I know how you feel Ken. I checked with a local truck shop about aligning it and IIRC that wasn't much less than I could buy an axle for. WE have a couple of local trailer dealers around here and I was doing some work for one of them and he got me a decent deal on a new one. He tried to get a used one but it ended up being the wrong. There are a lot of variations of those axles so you would be just as well off to buy it new. You should probably measure the overall length, mounting brackets and let that the axle down to see how it's clocked before you start looking around. I bought a bare axle (no brakes or hubs) and it seems like I spent somewhere around $200 - $250 about 6 years ago. It's easy to change and I spent more time swapping the brake parts over than I did changing the axle. As far as I know Dexter is the only outfit making the torsion axles.

Barry I never rotate the tires on mine but I have yet to wear a set out. Usually they blow out with at least 1/2 tread left on them. Hopefully I will get to wear these out as I went from a LR D to an E.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:50 am 
Site Admin

Well, Donee called me after reading this post and suggested some ways to straighten that axle. Since he was in the mobile home and trailer sales business for years he's seen this before and has successfully straightened more than a few so I'm going to give that a shot. Like Donee says, what have you got to loose but time as it's horked up anyway and you can't make it any worse than it is now! ;-)

Barry, your axle doesn't have enough camber in it for the load it's carrying and you can "adjust" that some by bending that axle up in the middle using a bottle jack along with some patience. ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:53 am 

I was a front end guy specializing in the Ford Twin I Beam axle back in the day. Any older shop has the equipment to re-camber that axle. We could even straighten rear axle housings using the same method.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:14 pm 

I tried to straighten mine out. I got it a little closer than what it was but couldn't get it straight enough to suit me. Between the rubber it's set in and the torsion bar there was way too much give to get it straight. Even the truck place I talked to said they couldn't guarantee they would get it right. I figured even if I did get it right there would be enough damage to the rubber that it wouldn't last anyway and those tires aren't cheap enough for me to try. Good luck if you give it a try and let me know how you do it.

Chuck's Automotive

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:07 pm 
Site Admin

Not having any luck finding anything local to replace it with so before I pay that kind of money for OTR shipping from bum hork Egypt I'll waste a "C" note on a tire if I have to to see if I can get to a point where I can live with it! That and I will cut and weld after the rubber if necessary to get what I need. After all, what have I got to loose except time and a tire and if you're retired, then time is moot point! =; I've got way more time than money at this point.

TELL ME AGAIN WHY I KEEP DOING THIS?? [-(

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:33 pm 

This is one of those times where a pit is a good idea. ;-)

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:46 pm 

I would assume it is most likely a camber issue?? Or maybe not as I guess it could be toe..

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:29 pm 

Beretta wrote:
I would assume it is most likely a camber issue?? Or maybe not as I guess it could be toe..

Toe will wear out a tire a lot faster than camber will.

Chuck's Automotive

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:10 am 

I was talking about a trailer Chuck, Was thinking with a torsion bar axle the up/down waring would produce a camber issue eventually...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:04 pm 
Site Admin

Well, Pit Bitch and I got that trailer in the shop this afternoon, got it up on jack stands and it isn't pretty!! The axle with the horked up tire has 3/4" TOE OUT!!! And I'm assuming it's on that end as the tire on the other side is not anywhere near as bad as the one on the right side.

The axle in front of that one has 5/16" TOE OUT and may be bent also? O:) Although it wasn't wearing the tire like the other one!

Ennywho, TMC (career in Quality Control at a NUKE plant) is coming over tomorrow to verify what I have found and he has a friend that has a BFP (big f**%ing press) O:) that we can use to (possibly) straighten this thing and keep using it. From what I can see, the bend in that axle is about 16" inboard as I ran a string from "known" locations end to end and that bend area manifest itself on the rule and verified what I was seeing with my eye.

Meanwhile, Pit Bitch has a friend that has worked in that industry (trailers), has "connections", and "may" be able to get me a new one, which I will do IF, the price is right!! Yeah, you know me, ie, it's gotta be "CHEAP"! ;-)

To Be Continued! ;-)

Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:23 pm 

my dad had to buy axles for his trailer when he hit some big pot holes. he found the cheapest place to be trailer super store in annapolis md. they have a website, i think its trailersuperstore.com .

Hubble Motorsports Junior Dragster Engines (301) 742-2489

Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:09 pm 
Site Admin

winlight148 wrote:
my dad had to buy axles for his trailer when he hit some big pot holes. he found the cheapest place to be trailer super store in annapolis md. they have a website, i think its trailersuperstore.com .

They're up in Penn according to the link you provided.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:17 pm 

There's also Redneck trailer parts O:)

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics