Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » E85 Fuel Systems

Post subject: Re: Ran E85 today
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:49 pm 

Nope no bung in those cyds...Anyway here are the other 2 runs..These #'s are just before the hit at 5000rpm..
This one is with the 176 jets:
1-527
2-662
3-957
4-1004
5-917
6-897
7-1013
8-915

These are with the 168 jets.
1-633
2-679
3-1004
4-1071
5-935
6-972
7-1023
8-917
As you can see most of the #'s went up and the ET went down =; ...
This help any???????

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:29 pm 

Hi, That plug looks to me like there isnt enough heat generation in the actual plug. It looks a little bit cold to me. If there is clearance I would use a different plug with the arc position further out into the chamber. Note how the strap or ground electrode is showing some signs of heat (slight oxidation coloring) the heat being produced away from the chamber wall is sufficient but porcelain is showing cold. To me thats either the wrong heat range plug or the arc is too close to the chamber wall. If the arc is moved out into the chamber a tiny bit the arc will start in a fresher mixture and that will then generate more heat and make the porcelain tan . The heated porcelain will utilise the energy thats currently not used (as it's trapped in the plug recess). A good indicator of that is if there is a tan ring at the base of the porcelain, Id be surprised if this plug displayed a strong burn ring down at the base. Thats how I see it, but my proper opinion would only be formed if I personally observed the plug and engine. Hope you go well with your testing. All the best.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:44 pm 

Thanks for the tip, That plug only has some idle time and 4 runs on them...I think I have a set of plugs that are one heat range hotter but don't think I can get it into the cyd any farther...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:58 pm 

shrinker wrote:
Hi, That plug looks to me like there isnt enough heat generation in the actual plug. It looks a little bit cold to me. If there is clearance I would use a different plug with the arc position further out into the chamber. Note how the strap or ground electrode is showing some signs of heat (slight oxidation coloring) the heat being produced away from the chamber wall is sufficient but porcelain is showing cold. To me thats either the wrong heat range plug or the arc is too close to the chamber wall. If the arc is moved out into the chamber a tiny bit the arc will start in a fresher mixture and that will then generate more heat and make the porcelain tan . The heated porcelain will utilise the energy thats currently not used (as it's trapped in the plug recess). A good indicator of that is if there is a tan ring at the base of the porcelain, Id be surprised if this plug displayed a strong burn ring down at the base. Thats how I see it, but my proper opinion would only be formed if I personally observed the plug and engine. Hope you go well with your testing. All the best.

Glad to see you back Bruce, hope things are going in a positive direction for you.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:59 pm 

The 4 runs is enough to show whats happening. You have to look down into the depth of the porcelain and check the colors there. In The photo the plug looks to have a slight sheen to it is it actually like that in the sunlight?

Hi Mark, Yeah things are going good at the moment.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:57 am 

Not sure but I did take that pic in the garage with the lights on and there 8' florescent lights..
Guessing I should get a plug light mag glass so I can try to do this.

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:42 am 

Just take the photos out in the sun light. I wrap my hand around the plug so the cameras can focus easier on macro settings. Cameras seem to have trouble with the distance of the background and force the image out of focus if you dont have something near to the field of where you want the focus on the plug. Neon tubes have a lot of blue spectrum in the light and it doesnt show up the tan properly. Different brand digital cameras result in different color saturation too. Eye balling it is best.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:16 am 

Well going to see if it is working??? Yep going to the track and leaving in an hour or so..
Hope the trans works and they fixed (even though they said there is nothing wrong with it) my delay box :- ...
See if I can get to where I left off 2 weeks ago and continue where I left off :-k

Bruce I will get some pictures of a plug or 2 in the sun light...and post them

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:09 am 

Well everything worked well and went down on jetting again and looks like I found where it wants to be and it's around a 160 jet or so...
Yep had a tough 1st round a 2 time class champ,winner of the ND Challange any way treed him with a
009 light and on the dial 6.88 at 153 \:D/ .
Now for the $hitty part on the return road my temp was climbing and it usually hangs about 180* and was almost 195 O:) ..
Back in the pit I pulled the hood off and the fans were blowing cold air and water pump was not running
](*,) ..Had power and ground so that ended my day and hope to get a break one of these days!!!!!! [-( [-( [-( :-({|= [-(

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:03 pm 

Dang Barry, seems like you can't catch a break ](*,) I feel for you there buddy.

How were the time runs?

Anyhow, looks like you're getting a handle on the calibration.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:47 pm 

Yea it's coming along well!!!
Ran a 6.92 with same jetting as last week but the air was 800' worst air so I jetted down to 156 and it ran 2 6.88's but mph was down some so we will go up to a 160 jet and try it there and see what happens.
Still not happy with the idle and when it comes up on the converter before it leaves but it does not seem to matter cause it still put's out zerox copy 1.16 short time's =; =; ....
Swapping metering blocks did nothing and still have very low EGT's on 1&2 cyd's..

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:13 am 

Hey if it went faster and made more power the then the plug might look better too. There gotta be more heat in the cylinder with more power. Just keep working on the fueling etc first then look into plugs and heat ranges etc.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:28 am 

Bruce, Have any Idea why #1 & 2 cyd's are low on egt??? This was not the case with the gas carb.
They start low and continue threw the hole run..

I will pull a couple of plugs to night and take a look..

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:00 am 

Its possibly the water temp on the front barrels. The ethanol requires much more heat energy to vaporize than straight gasoline. That means that any colder places in the engine will show up as slower burning because heat from the burn has to be used to vaporize fuel thats not done from things like water temp on the barrels etc. The slow burn results in more CO percentage for the effected cylinders so the EGT is low.

Board index » Racing Forum » E85 Fuel Systems