Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » E85 Fuel Systems

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: E85 test
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:23 am 
Site Admin

F636 wrote:
got it together but had to go have my gall bladder removed this morning so waiting to heal up.

That sounds funny. What I mean is that I had my ball bladder taken out back around 1982 or so and I was in the hospital for a week afterwards with an incision about 8 inches long right below my right rib cage! Was out of work for 4 weeks too! And here you are having your's taken out yesterday morning, you were home last night and will be back in a race car on the 21st?

So that's jmark with recent surgery. Nomad with recent surgery. Shrinker damn near dieing with a lung infection and now you with gall bladder surgery and all 4 of you are involved in this E85 carburetor section?? O:) [-(

Ennywho, glad to hear you're on the mend! ;-)

Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:56 am 

I hope all this stuff isn't spreading =; I have enough health issues and don't need to add anything new to the list!

On a more serious note, I'm glad to hear everyone is improving.

Super Comp 130C

Post Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:48 pm 

Well i finally got to the track this weekend. The new calibration is:
.170 step booster
#2 taper mainwell
.028 hsb
.061 iab
.041 ifr
.028,X,.028,X
6.5 hi flo p/v with .080 pvcr
85/93 jets
The temps were about 15° more than last time out and the et's ended up only about .02 slower and mph less than half. I didn't get to try a different emulsion due the holes in my set screws not being centered and I didn't want to turn a .014 hole into a .009. I think I'll drill the e holes in the blocks to .060 or so to utilize set screws and not plug the holes. Even though I was chasing around the 60' and changing jets around I still made it to the final round, damn red eye got me. The next day I changed to a .043 ifr, plugged he p/v and jetted square at 93. 60' only varied .002 in first three runs and the car became predictable again. Unfortunately first round was 3 hours after my third time run and my .104 light did me in. Getting closer to nailing down this carb, I was within .004 of my first run but my light didnt help me. Sorry this is so long but found out a lot his weekend! Now to get the new emulsion package in it and try again. Thanks AJ for the help with the boosters and everyone for the info, one other thing I'm gonna try is a 1:1 link for the secondary next time out.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:49 pm 

Those numbers are looking good. A little more tuning and you are on your way to better ets.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:04 pm 

One thing I forgot was that the engine likes about 2° less timing than on gas. I'm running ngk #8 plugs and plan on trying a #7 next time out, unfortunately that's about 3 weeks out. Thanks everyone as this has been a fun project so far and can't want for the wins to come.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:02 am 

OK, I learned a few things this weekend and went a lot of rounds in the process! First off, my combo needs to be 180* or it stumbles at the hit. I thought it might be a little rich on the acc pump circuit but not till I got home, it's at 37 front with the pink cam and 40 rear with a green cam. I did try the pink cam in the #2 position but the engine temp made more difference. Second, even with 130* track temps It still mph's like an overcast day, this calibration likes the heat! On Saturday the engine temp seemed to stay up around 195-200 on the return road (glass nose with no opening exept for two 3X6" holes under the bumperl) so I dropped the IAB from .061 to .059 and it also gained about 6* in the 1/8 so I dropped the MAB from .027 to.026 for Sunday. This helped as I couldn't hit 105mph on Saturday but did on Sunday and the engine temps stayed a little lower. I'll go up a jet size for the next race and see what happens but after changing the timing and jetting and acc pump circuit I'm very satisfied with my end results so far knowing there is more left. Here's the calibration so far:
MAB-.026
IAB-.059
IFR-.043 in the lower position
e-bleeds-.014,plug,.018,.022
92/92 jet with no P/v
.170 stepped booster (thanks AJ)
#2 taper mainwell
.130 N/S
mixture screws at 3/4 out
On Saturday in first round I didn't have the temp up enough and bogged at the hit so I got in the jackpot race and won it keeping the engine temp up at 180-185 at the start, oh and some good luck not sure how I won a round with a 150 light but I'll take it when I can get it! Still working on this but getting closer, thanks for everyones help.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:56 am 

Wow, this board has been quiet lately! Made my last runs of the year last weekend and ended up having some issues with water getting to the oil. Before a lifter totally lost it's bearings it ran the same as the previous 5 months, actually about 2/100 better but that's from May-Sept which it usually runs the best of the year in Sept at my home track.Throughout the year the car gradually found some consistancy with the mods made to the carb even though not much, if any, gain on et. This has been an exciting experiment for the year even if it did end with a broken lifter. There's only a few other changes I'd like to try next year but not expecting great changes in performance with them. I'd like to thank AJ and Mark W. and Nomad along with anyone else who has participated in the E85 section, it's your contributions that have helped with my own calibration of this carb.
Thanks, Keith

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:21 am 

Looking good Keith!!! Sorry about the issue with the lifter and water :- that's not good but at least it did wait till the end of the season for you..
Wonder why it likes all that heat??
Mine seems to be happy at 170* on the starting line...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:58 am 
Site Admin

Yeah Keith, things have been kinda quite in here for the past few months. Since Jmark can't drive yet he hasn't done much with E85 testing with his car that I'm aware of and on top of that, his engine got hurt when a bolt from someone elses Dominator linkage decided to fall into the intake and you know what happened then. I think he's in the process of putting his SB2 engine back in the car now.

It is good to know that you're endeavors have been successful. It's really nice to have a happy ending of sorts with a project like this.

On the lifter, what do you think caused the failure? And what brand is it? :-k

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:05 am 

With the lifter could you tell us which lifter bore it was that it failed?

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:04 pm 

Beretta, this small block has always liked heat or it just falls on it's face. It has hyper pistons with a. 028" top ring gap so maybe the gap closes up a bit and runs better? Other than that the guage could be off even though it's not that old.
As far as the lifter goes, at risk of ridicule, it was the #6 intake lifter and they are a set of Herbert lifters I paid $179 for back in 1997 with probably 800 runs on them! After closer inspection than when I put them in I noticed the case hardening possibly having an issue. This is a motor I slapped together with leftover parts and ended up being the fastest small block I've had in the car! It actually went 9.90@134 on gas, never made it to the 1/4 on e85. I guess it's time to get that big motor back together. Can't complain about the year, it was a good one overall.
Keith

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:08 am 

F636 wrote:
OK, I learned a few things this weekend and went a lot of rounds in the process! First off, my combo needs to be 180* or it stumbles at the hit. I thought it might be a little rich on the acc pump circuit but not till I got home, it's at 37 front with the pink cam and 40 rear with a green cam. I did try the pink cam in the #2 position but the engine temp made more difference. Second, even with 130* track temps It still mph's like an overcast day, this calibration likes the heat! On Saturday the engine temp seemed to stay up around 195-200 on the return road (glass nose with no opening exept for two 3X6" holes under the bumperl) so I dropped the IAB from .061 to .059 and it also gained about 6* in the 1/8 so I dropped the MAB from .027 to.026 for Sunday. This helped as I couldn't hit 105mph on Saturday but did on Sunday and the engine temps stayed a little lower. I'll go up a jet size for the next race and see what happens but after changing the timing and jetting and acc pump circuit I'm very satisfied with my end results so far knowing there is more left. Here's the calibration so far:
MAB-.026
IAB-.059
IFR-.043 in the lower position
e-bleeds-.014,plug,.018,.022
92/92 jet with no P/v
.170 stepped booster (thanks AJ)
#2 taper mainwell
.130 N/S
mixture screws at 3/4 out
On Saturday in first round I didn't have the temp up enough and bogged at the hit so I got in the jackpot race and won it keeping the engine temp up at 180-185 at the start, oh and some good luck not sure how I won a round with a 150 light but I'll take it when I can get it! Still working on this but getting closer, thanks for everyones help.

Keith said he dropped the IAB from 61 to 59 and it gained 6* in the 1/8.....So the IAB has an affect on the mixture after the throttle is opened? I guess it does as it's always there but I need some more explaining on that...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:43 am 
Site Admin

Beretta wrote:

Keith said he dropped the IAB from 61 to 59 and it gained 6* in the 1/8.....So the IAB has an affect on the mixture after the throttle is opened? I guess it does as it's always there but I need some more explaining on that...

If the IAB is too large, then the T slot becomes an air bleed @ WFO. Maley had mentioned to me that the T slot circuit was an air bleed but shrinker says that if it is it's just because the IAB is too large. :-k I guess that's what Keith found out then, hey.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:22 pm 

That 6* was in reference to the run before the change. I wasn't very clear on that as there was a lot of info to relay. Dropping the iab was due to the temp not dropping very fast on te return road and tried a smaller bleed to see what happens, the change in hsb was to lower the gain in temp on the run and that was a good direction as it seemed to help. I will admit that in my quest to change one particular aspect I uncovered something I wasn't expecting and didn't make sense as I was focusing on what I was looking for. I do think the idle circuit does have a minute affect on the wot .

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:13 pm 

Ive picked up 25 BHP on an engine dyno by tuning the idle mixture. It was a 730hp engine. Believe me the idle is SO IMPORTANT it should always be done when a main jet is changed. Peole say the idle isnt effected by the main jet but I differ.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Racing Forum » E85 Fuel Systems