Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:23 pm 

Took the car out last Sunday and had real problems.. Off the start line car drove heavily to the right and in the shutdown area it drove to the left as soon as I came off the gas...next trial run it tramped heavily from the line, still pulled right and again went left when I came off the gas..car is 3800lbs, ladder bar, detroit locker,9inch 35 spline.. Now checked the car thoroughly and found that the left rear shock is weak,, could that cause such a violent change.. Have noticed that with the driveshaft disconnected and one wheel off the floor I can turn the wheel,, sometimes the drive shaft flange moves and sometimes not..stripped the locker down and there is nothing broken inside at all ... Is it normal to be able to rotate one wheel independently of the other,, I thought a locker could not do that

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:19 pm 
Site Admin

Are you hearing a "clicking" sound when you turn that tire without the driveshaft flange turning?

Lockers unload the inside tire when going around a corner and are known to make that clicking sound.

And on another note, when a locker goes bad, it will sometimes "unload" whether making a turn or going straight and you'll feel and hear that in the car when it does it.

I'm going to "assume" this is a stock type shock in a coil over adapter? Swap the shocks from side to side and try it again as it will probably take a week or two for you to get new ones from here in the "States". Better yet, you could look around there and see if any of your parts suppliers could cross it over to something you can get readily there in the UK. Either way you need to replace the pair if one is horked up.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:08 pm 

Ken, yes does Indeed make a noise, kind of like very loud ratcheting noise... Is this normal then, kinda hope so..is it really possible that a shock could cause this,, never had experience like this before and hopefully never will again

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:43 pm 
Site Admin

zephyrc wrote:
Ken, yes does Indeed make a noise, kind of like very loud ratcheting noise... Is this normal then, kinda hope so..is it really possible that a shock could cause this,, never had experience like this before and hopefully never will again

Zephyrc yeah, "Lockers" do make a lot of noise and some street rodders won't run them for that reason. If it's unloading then you'll know it as there will be a loud bang when it unloads.

I'd concentrate on the shock deal as that's the cheapest thing to hork with at this point. As I said, if these are "USA" made shocks and I suspect that they were in the "kit" you bouight for your car, then there's an outside chance that there's something been made there in the UK that is "similar", or close enough that you could use it. Oh, and don't be afraid to cut the dust cover on the top end to make it fit if needed. ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:46 pm 

Whilst the wheels are off the car, I measured the roll on the tyres.. One one the left rear is 7/8 inch longer than right rear... Surely that would cause a locker equipped car to drift right but would it cause it to go left in the shutdown area when off the gas..

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:54 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah that "might" have something to do with it all right but how did they get that far off? I forget the acceptable limit on roll out difference but 1/2" comes to mind. Maybe Chuck knows as I believe he was the one that told me that.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:25 pm 

Mickey Thompson website wrote:
Tires must be matched within ½” maximum before they are run. If they exceed this difference, it can usually be corrected. This is done by over inflating the shorter tire and letting it sit a short period of time to allow it to stretch. It is very important to monitor this procedure to avoid stretching too much. When stretching tires always drop them back to "0" psi,, then back up to your track pressure. This will show if it has actually stretched or not. This should be done as close to running the tires as possible. Never inflate tires over 40 PSI to stretch them. If you cannot get the tires to match, please contact your dealer. Mismatched tires exceeding ½” cannot be exchanged if:

This procedure has not been followed.
The tires have been put into use.
Rim screws have been installed.

Again, this procedure will only work before a tire has been used.

I usually get mine within 1/4"

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes