Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Read These First » Newbie's Corner

Post subject: Hello from the Northwest
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:48 am 

I've been reading here awhile and just wanted to say hi. I built my first automotive engine in '86 and have built a few mostly small blocks, one big block and a couple of W motors. Every motor I did was better than the last and I've learned how to put together better combo's. The one thing that always bothered me was I didnn't really know how to tune a carburetor so having a little more time to spend these days I spent the winter diging into tuning carburetors. I feel fortunate to have read most of Tuners posts on the inovate site also Shrinker was a big help with his posts, there were others including JMark who I found helpful. While I will never know all the ins and outs of tuning carburetors I have been fairly successful in tuning my latest motor a (small) SR camed, 10.3CR, 406 with AFR210 heads and an old 830 annular that I bought new in about 88. I didn't like it then and thru in a bag and forgot about it. Now I've learned enough to change it from a circle track carb to a street/strip performer. Although I've had some success with this combo there are a couple of questions i may post in the fuel systems fourm if I can't find the answers. Next thing to start learning about is reading spark plugs. It seems there are some conflicting opinions on that, should be interesting!
BTW great site and good info here. Best regards.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:54 am 

Welcome!!!!!! And post away your questions!!! =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:40 am 

Welcome to the board Blown55409 \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:34 am 

webermaniac wrote:
Welcome!! I have almost all of Tuner's posts at Innovate forums saved locally, Shrinker's too. If I think of a way to organize them properly maybe I will place them online somewhere. That information must not disappear just because some genius bookkeeper decided that running a forum is not cost effective.

Great idea... \:D/

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:00 am 
Site Admin

Sorry for the hijack but we do have a "Tech Articles" section so I sent Webermanic a PM to see if we could get that info posted there. \:D/

Oh, and I gotta ask Blown55409 if he's actually got a "real" 409 Chevy engine or is that some overbore on a 400 SBC? Oh, and welcome again! ;-)

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:50 am 

Ken0069 wrote:
Sorry for the hijack but we do have a "Tech Articles" section so I sent Webermanic a PM to see if we could get that info posted there. \:D/

way to go webermanic, I only book marked them never thinking they would take the site down.

Ken, I think that would be an excellent idea to post them in the tech section. It could possibly steer a lot of traffic to; this site.

Oh, and I gotta ask Blown55409 if he's actually got a "real" 409 Chevy engine or is that some overbore on a 400 SBC? Oh, and welcome again! ;-)

Yes, it is a real 409, bored and stroked to 482, 6-71 blower, 3.08 gears, MT ET radials, best 10.66
4000+(with driver) street car. I've owned the car for 37 years.
thanks for the welcome.

Board index » Read These First » Newbie's Corner