Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » E85 Fuel Systems

Post subject: Re: 2012 Race Season
 Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:05 am 

ajcasini I run a 4500 under carb stop with front and rear butterflies and about all i do is drop 2 jet sizes, 104 to a 102. This seems to work well, no other changes to the carb, started shifting on time while the stop is on for this year and that seems to work well also. Had my first win of year last week.

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:21 am 

1st win of the season then you need to tell us and wright to the adm. about it so he can put you in the winners circle....And that was on E85????????
Congrats on the win Ron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:43 am 

Ron, why do you drop the jets with the stop? I have not seen any significant change in AFR's with or without a stop on mine. 2 or 3 circuit Dominator?

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:45 am 

Beretta Yes that is on pump e85, jmarkaudio, started as a 750 dominator that i converted to e85 about three years ago, changed out 750 banjos and now use a 1050 banjo body, BLP 1.015 insert with 12 holes drilled to .067. Mark at a TT a couple years ago i found the car liked the 2 jet cxhange, i think its because of the restriction of air when the stop is on the car. I was thinking with the stop on thr car i shouild retry the 1050 banjo insert to help with air loss from the extra butterflies in the stop. No wide band just reading the plugs The win was in the TOP class at Dunn Tire Raceway Park in Buffalo NY.

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:56 am 

Could be that the 4 hole is pulling a stronger signal, just seems like a fairly large change. Try running a straight 4 hole or sheer plate under it without the stop on it and see if it stays the same.

On another note I put together a 1050 on E85 for someone local, had some other issues when he first put it on ( timing was off and the fuel pressure was too high) so he was reluctant to try it again. I ran it last month, made an idle bleed change and gave it to my brother. He ended up winning last night. Also have some new carb gaskets for testing, I'll see how they work with E85.

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:14 pm 

Gezzzzzzzzz man I can hardly wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:59 pm 

Well had a very good day. Made 10 laps in the car 4 tt and 6 elim rounds before the red eye got me. Car ran between 10.30 and 10.25 from noon til 6 pm when I lot the red. Was flirting with the red all day. Had 3 elim rounds in a row 004, 006,007 then the -005 red eye. Other 2 hits were 10 and 16. Had no adjustment left couldn't lower rear tire pressure due to spinning, couldn't lower chip anymore and had the front tires flat. Mounted the adjustable button on the wheel after the red eye. I will have adjustment now.

Had an awesome run in the box class against my buddy in dragster I'm 10 dead on 8 and in the way. He's 4 dead on 8.

I think I about have this thing figured out. 60' was between 1.410-1.421 and slowed as track got hot as expected hitting as hard as I am with a 9" tire. I have a couple curves from the weekend and am wondering how they look. I will post up when I get the laptop going. On the iPad now.

My best bud picked up the W in Modified driving like a champ. He's running an 850 demon carb I converted for him 3 years ago.

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:58 pm 
Site Admin

aj you're kicking ass Bubba!!! And it's good to hear that you're "friends/customers" are doing the same. Only wish that E85 was more accessible to me!! Not out of the question mind you, just 70 miles away!

RE: The Big RED!! Hey, we live by the tree and we die by the tree!!! LONG LIVE THE TREE AS IT'S AN EQUALIZER!! \:D/

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:32 pm 

Thanks ken. Yeah things are falling into place now. The old red eye gotta turn em red sometimes or your not trying hard enough. I really like where the car is on the start one this year. First time in a long time I can turn it red shallow staged. I am used to taking two bumps to be 20....lol

Have a three day weekend coming up so should get some major laps on the car. I think I figured out the rpm on the lm2 so I should have that this week in the logs.

One thing I noticed in the logs is that the lambda climbs from .74 to .86 approaching the 1-2 and 2-3 shift then stays flat at .74-.76 the rest of the run. I am thinking I may be draining the bowls early in the run and may need to raise float level a bit.

Any thoughts?

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:54 pm 
Site Admin

Raising float levels will make it richer through out the entire run. Looks like maybe the pump isn't keeping up during the lower gears, ie, engine RPM is rising faster in 1st and 2nd gear and maybe the pump isn't keeping up?? Also don't over look G forces either, especially in lower gears.

So how is fuel pressure through out the run? :-k

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:32 pm 

Yeah I was thinking that would happen with float level but was thinking to correct with jet.

Pump is a bg400+ pressure seems steady at 6psi throughout the run. I don't have the ability to log it yet. Just a mechanical gauge with isolator. May try raising pressure to 7 and see if it gets better.

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:06 pm 
Site Admin

ajcasini wrote:
Yeah I was thinking that would happen with float level but was thinking to correct with jet.

Pump is a bg400+ pressure seems steady at 6psi throughout the run. I don't have the ability to log it yet. Just a mechanical gauge with isolator. May try raising pressure to 7 and see if it gets better.

Correction with jet will still require the same amount of fuel to air. If it's running low on fuel then you'll still have it trailing off lean in the upper RPM range.

What's the shift RPM and what is it at the stripe?

What's the emulsion package like?? :-k

Upping the fuel pressure would be what I'd try first and I've seen those SS needle seats hold upwards of 8psig.

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:18 pm 

I have the good BLP SS needle and seat in it. Shift is 6800, stripe 7000.

Emulsion is nothing special 024-Blank-024-Blank.

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:50 am 
Site Admin

ajcasini wrote:
I have the good BLP SS needle and seat in it. Shift is 6800, stripe 7000.

Emulsion is nothing special 024-Blank-024-Blank.

Reason I asked about the shift points is that sometimes guys set cars up to run both eight and quarter mile and on an eight mile track, stripe RPM is usually lower than the shift point, which "might" keep the AFRs more flat line in high gear. Since you're trapping more than the shift point that rules that out, ie, I was thinking about a MAB change but now not so much.

Logic would tell you that the highest fuel demand will be in low gear, ie, RPM acceleration rate and G forces are higher then than anywhere else in the run. Second gear would be less and high gear would stabilize as the car settles down some then.

Just thinking out loud here but I believe it's a fuel delivery issue. :-k

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:27 am 

Yeah I am thinking along the lines you are too now ken. I have a brand new aero motive pump I may put on the car and try. Won't be any worse and may get better.

Yeah I know what ya mean in the 1/8 vs 1/4. My car is set up that way and only traps about 6400 in the 1/8.

Board index » Racing Forum » E85 Fuel Systems