Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject: DL-32 Glitches
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:08 am 

I run a DL-32 and a LM-1, LMA-2 combination together. I originally setup to run RPM off the LMA-2 and ran my coolant temp off of the DL-32 CH1. Dumb move I shoud have run the ST to the LMA-2 to begin with.

Anyways, I installed a trans temp sensor and a coolant temp sensor on the LMA-2 and removed the RPM back to the DL-32 CH1. Everything works correctly except the RPM at CH1. There's a reading but, it doesn't equal the Tach. I'm thinking I just have software configuration problem here. ie: I ain't got the right checks in the right boxes.

Can someone walk me through this?

Post subject: Re: DL-32 Glitches
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:27 pm 

Ive found some units dont program correctly from serial connection. They work fine by just using the front panel buttons to set the channel allocation options. Do this. disconnect the DL-32 from the log chain. Use the front buttons to set the deried channel to the desired function and then wait until it does its thing and then turn the power off. Then connect a computer to the serial out of the DL-32 power it up and read what the settings are with LMprogrammer. It should be correct. Then turn the power off and disconnect and reconnect into the chain and it should work. You have to remember to cycle the power off and on after each and every change you do with the innovate stuff. You can only do one change at a time and you have to cycle power each time. Otherwise it wont program. I just make sure I adhere to the rules and the stuff works.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:07 pm 

Okay shrinker, I'll do that. I really don't have much trouble with this deal but, I know they can be a bit fiddly when it comes to changes.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:39 pm 

The rules are simple, plug each unit singularly into a computer to program each unit. thats any sort of programing change, things like the name of the unit, the configuration of inputs etc, it all has to be done with ONLY one unit plugged into a computer at a time. Cycle power after every time a unit is programed.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:20 am 

shrinker, I was able to resolve my RPM issue using your suggestion. Thank you.

I have an issue regarding my LMA-2. I'm now using it to log coolant and transmission temps and not RPM. The wiring is done and the DL-32 sees it and the temp sensors on the log chain. I installed the temp sensors in the same manner I did when they were on the DL-32. These are GM type sensors I have logged the resistance per the Innovate instructions. CH+ and CH- wires with a 2.2k ohm resistor jumpered between the 5v terminal and the CH+ terminal. Worked great on the DL-32 and not working so good on the LMA2. I suspect that the resistor should be on the ground wire of the sensor instead of the 5v side. Thoughts?

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:36 am 

No ideas on that one.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:37 pm 

Gave up on the LM-1 and Rpm converter. Going to try two LC-1s and an SSI-4 with my DL-32. Need to get my temps right and add fuel pressure.

We'll see.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:55 pm 

While I've been recuperating I've been working on my DL-32 stuff. As in the last post I'm ditching the O2 reads off the LM-1.

On my DL-32 I have the following channels

RPM
Oil Pressure
Driveshaft
Coolant Temp
Trans Temp

On the SSI-4

Vacuum
Fuel Pressure

And of course, left and right LC-1s.

I dumped the GForce. I never referred to it as I paid more attention to shaft speed. I also replaced the native vacuum on the DL-32 with a temp reading.

I like using GM type sensors as it makes possible sensor failures easy and cheep to replace. I do have a question on the wiring of my GM MAP sensor. I connect power to the 5v terminal the SSI-4, the output voltage to a CH+ terminal, and the ground, right? Just like any other pressure sensor?

I also want to create a math channel designated Converter Slip by dividing the Driveshaft by the Engine RPM. I've tried this a couple of times and haven't yet been successful.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:10 pm 

Okay, got everything tested and working except the math channel for the converter slip.

I'm stuck with this Innovate stuff because I'm just a poor senior citizen racer on SS. :-({|= Well, it's not quite that bad.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:30 pm 
Site Admin

nomad wrote:
Okay, got everything tested and working except the math channel for the converter slip.

I'm stuck with this Innovate stuff because I'm just a poor senior citizen racer on SS. :-({|= Well, it's not quite that bad.

X2 on the SS and Innovate stuff but it IS that bad at my house! Especially since my 5 year IRA CD interest rate went in the toilet back in January! =P~ Thank you Ben Bernanke!! [-o< That deal cost me about $2600 worth of play money that I won't have for a while! #-o O:)

I would offer you some help on that "math channel" stuff but I'm about as dumb as brick where the Innovate system is concerned. I just feel fortunate that I finally got my junk working, or at least it did last time out! Not taking any bets for Thursday either! ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:30 pm 

I think I may have the math channel worked out. I had the formula worked out correctly I think but, I mis-named on of the channels the info was to come from. Most stuff can be tested without starting the engine. Problem with the math channels is that they do not log in real time.

As far as the GM temp sensors that was real easy to work out. So was the GM MAP.

BTW, how are you recording temps Ken?

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

nomad wrote:
BTW, how are you recording temps Ken?

Bruce the only temp I'm recording right now is the transmission and that's with a thermocouple I got from Greg with my system.

I have two TC-4s and 8 thermocouples for the EGTs but I'm not using those right now as room to put the stuff is somewhat nonexistent, if you know what I mean. That and I finally figured out that trying to tune with EGTs was somewhat of an exercise in futility, ie, balancing EGTs to within 60* still didn't make it run any faster??

EGT now is only in #6 and I use an Omega HH-11 to record max temp on that one cylinder only.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:30 am 

I use the GM (NAPA Made in America part) temp sensors in both coolant and transmission. I power them off the 5v terminal on the DL-32 or SSI-4 with a 2.2k pull up resistor to the CH+ terminal. The sensor positive wire also goes to the CH+ terminal. The sensor negative wire goes to the CH- terminal. A jumper wire from the CH- terminal to to the DL-32 or SSI-4 ground terminal.

Of course, each sensor has to be calibrated. The Logworks manual spells out how that is done. Innovate seems to feel as each sensor is individualy calibrated accuracy is quite high.

I would imagine that a GM AIT sensor is configured the same way in order to track temps inside the hood scoop.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:04 pm 

HOLY SMOKES! I got the darn thing working right! I was having a problem with the CH1 channel on the SSI4 reading the fuel pressure transducer. It was continually showing voltage at the CH1- terminal when the pump was turned off. So I moved the whole mess to CH3 as CH2 is occupied. It all works just like it is supposed to. No voltage at CH3- when the pump is off.

Great, I got this race car and here I set instead of racing.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:39 pm 

Well, I been at the track and all my channels work except that cotton pickin' math channel. it's convertor slip and the darn thing doesn't show up I'm stumped ](*,)

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics