Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:43 pm 
Site Admin

I use these for both the driveshaft and engine RPM sensors for my Innovate Data Logger.

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/948176 ... -02-a.html

The engine RPM one works with the magnets on the MSD crank trigger and the driveshaft one requires a bolt on ring on the pinion flange with 4 magnets in it to trigger it. Although the one on the dragster isn't working correctly now, it worked fine on the Camaro for 4 years and was working on the dragster last fall. I just need to reprogram the box to see the correct number of counts per revolution.

Oh, and Digikey also has the magnets too if you have a need for them. Mine are .250 round x .250 long.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:01 am 

Ken0069 wrote:
I used one of these 12v solenoid operated valves to operate the air shifter cylinder that is mounted in the shifter on my dragster. The ACD unit that came with it was too bulky to mount so I got this instead and it works great triggered by the MSD Digital 7 Ignition box. Small, light weight and easy to mount. ;-) And did I mention that it was cheap at under $20 shipped. ;-)

http://www.allair.com/svalve/I-Solenoid-spec-3V1.htm

Can you expand on that some??? Are you still using the air valve on the shifter and replaced the other part with what you listed above??? How about a picture =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:38 am 
Site Admin

Beretta wrote:
Can you expand on that some??? Are you still using the air valve on the shifter and replaced the other part with what you listed above??? How about a picture =;

Sorry Barry but that thing is mounted UNDER the dash next to the MSD and cannot be seen unless I pull that dash cover off, which is a pure BITCH to get off and back on again. [-( The guy that designed that part of this car should have his nuts cut out!! O:)

The model number of the one I used is 3V1-06 D and 12v. I didn't use the little cover over the spade terminals but just used regular crimp on spade terminal connectors on the wire.

Run 12v from the ignition switch to the solenoid then connect the ground end to the MSD RPM trigger wire, which provides a path to ground to make the air cylinder do the shift.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:48 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
I use these for both the driveshaft and engine RPM sensors for my Innovate Data Logger.

The engine RPM one works with the magnets on the MSD crank trigger and the driveshaft one requires a bolt on ring on the pinion flange with 4 magnets in it to trigger it. Although the one on the dragster isn't working correctly now, it worked fine on the Camaro for 4 years and was working on the dragster last fall. I just need to reprogram the box to see the correct number of counts per revolution.

Oh, and Digikey also has the magnets too if you have a need for them. Mine are .250 round x .250 long.

This has to be one the the slick ideas of the thread.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:18 pm 
Site Admin

nomad wrote:
Ken0069 wrote:

This has to be one the the slick ideas of the thread.

Yeah Bruce but please note that these things have to be epoxied to the head of a NYLON bolt mounted into an ALUMINUM mounting tab!! AND, the magnets need to be staggered north, south to make sure that the switch sees different polarity from each magnet, ie, north, south, north, south, etc.

But yeah, I've had this engine up over 8,000 RPM and this sensor follows the MSD RPM graph to the letter!

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:35 am 

OK Ant has a air and electric type sol on his shifter and it's leaking air as it drained a full bottle of CO2 in just a 1/2 hr or so. Looking at Biondo's sight it's $70 plus dollars..I looked around but does anyone know where to get one for less???? He need to get it off and see if there are some #s on it I guess..

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:18 am 

We get em filled over here at the fire stations. Or you can use the soda water carbonation bottles, same stuff but a smaller bottle. Visit a supermarket.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:01 am 
Site Admin

Barry how is his solenoid activated?

On mine, I turn the bottle on and off after each run as I don't think there's an air system made that won't leak some. Also, I pull the quarter inch tube off at the regulator and spray some WD40 in that line and that helps slow the leaks down a bit.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:05 am 

activated by time or rpm

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:23 pm 
Site Admin

Beretta wrote:
activated by time or rpm

No, I mean what triggers it, ie, some kind of standalone controller or is it done by his ignition box?

What I'm getting at is mine was originally controlled by a rather large ACD control box that uses MSD RPM chips, like the one you use. Now though this small solenoid I have is triggered by that Digital 7 box I run. Just trying to make sure that Ant's stuff would be able to use one like I'm using now IF that's what he wants to try.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:31 pm 

Ken he is using a msd to shift and I think it just grounds it to shift..
Half way down this page or so is what he needs..It's an "AS sol"
http://www.biondoracing.com/CO2Shifters.shtml

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

Beretta wrote:

That solenoid I'm using will work through the MSD box. Like I said, mine is wired from the hot side of the ignition switch and the MSD makes the ground to activate it. I'll try to find where I ordered mine and post a link if I didn't already. May be more info in my Drageter Redoo thread too.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:20 pm 
Site Admin

Beretta wrote:

Barry, I thought I had a link to the place where I got my solenoid valve but can't find it now? I went looking though and I'm pretty sure this is it, ie, 3v1 in 12v and I got the D coil although I didn't use the LED top housing and it's $18, which sounds about right. The G coil is just wire leads with no LED.

http://www.fremontindustrialsupply.com/ ... way/Detail

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:36 am 

Bingo!!! That looks like it should work..$18 bucks looks
better than $70 plus dollars........
We us should make a sticky for some of this stuff fo sure!!!
Thanks Ken

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:32 pm 

I suspect avgas may qualify here. Especially, for those use 110 octane race gas. While I haven't been able to find it again I had a nice spec sheet for Shell 100LL. As I recall it was pretty close to 110 in most areas. Including lead which was 3gr per gallon. A lot of race gas retailers say we shouldn't run it. I say let's see it in writing. Put the specs or MSDS's together and lets see. Anyone up for this?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics