Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics

Post subject: Testing Tomorrow!
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

Piedmont Dragway weather tomorrow is looking real good about now. Looks like I might FINALLY get to the race track! Here's the Greensboro, Nc weather forecast. \:D/

http://wx.hamweather.com/?pands=greensboro,%20nc

It's a 260 mile round trip but hey, I've got to smell some smoke and Waynesboro (140 mile round trip) doesn't have a test scheduled for this weekend. However we will make a "token" appearance at New London Dragway, the local airport/dragstrip Saturday (40 mile round trip) since it's under new management this year and I need to go there to show them how crappy that track is. ;-)

Ennywho, it will be good to ride the car again! \:D/

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject: Re: Testing Tomorrow!
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:42 pm 

Have fun, I’m jealous ….. we just have rain out here. =P~

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:56 am 
Site Admin

Well, made 4 passes last night and felt REAL good to be in the car. Track wasn't there last night as the quickest short time was only 1.16 and quickest ET was only a 5.09 but a good time was had by all and the car, truck and trailer came home in one piece! \:D/

Will look at data later today but did have problems with the data logger again as one side was reading 12.8 AFRs flat line in high gear and the other was showing me erratic numbers down in the 10s??? O:) That and the driveshaft RPM graph was showing me 10,000 RPM and maxed out right about the gear change? And THAT was working fine last fall? Made an adjustment in the sensor but didn't look at data on the last two passes. Will know more this afternoon.

\:D/

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:28 am 

Congratulations, glad it went well! =;

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:39 pm 

Have you weighed the car yet?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:49 pm 
Site Admin

jmarkaudio wrote:
Have you weighed the car yet?

No I haven't Mark but I expect it's fairly light since it's a 225" hard tail. Maybe Shicks will feel sorry for me one day and bring his scales over so I can see what it weighs. :-({|= =;

Why do you ask? :-k

Last fall on gas we went 5.02 @ 138 with a 1.121 short time and I think it was a little lean then. Over the winter I upped the MJs from 73 to 75 square and AFRs now on the one side that "seems" to be reading correctly are in the 12.8 range down track. I did move the timing a couple of degrees up and down last night and it seems to like 29* now, which is down from 32* when the engine was in the Camaro. I'm thinking that air management, ie, scoop on the dragster is changing the tuneup as opposed to what under the hood of the Camaro was like.

RE: 10.x AFRs on the left side?? Well, after looking at the data I'm getting mixed signals on this? At part throttle that O2 sensor seems to follow along with the one on the right side of the engine so now I'm not so sure that there is a problem with the one running down in the 10s?? Is it possible that the secondary side of these 750 carbs would need way less jet than the primaries? They've got power valves on both ends and came jetted 73 square? :-k

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:22 pm 

I would block off the rear power valve, it could be causing problems if the fuel uncovers it, which I would think it would at your performance level, if you plug it you know it's not creating a problem. =;

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:33 pm 
Site Admin

Slowpoke wrote:
I would block off the rear power valve, it could be causing problems if the fuel uncovers it, which I would think it would at your performance level, if you plug it you know it's not creating a problem. =;

Donee, these carbs are mounted sideways, not inline? That and it's not going lean, it's going way rich but only on the left side down track, but seems to be "normal" at part throttle. :-k

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:35 pm 

Easiest thing to try is to block off all of the power valves and jet up. The next thing I would be concerned about would be the scoop. Do you have a filter in it? Do you have the vent tubes tied together? I had lots of scoop problems, it would start off rich on one side and switch to rich on the other side part way down the track........run it up against the transbrake, everything was fine. Just my thoughts. =;

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:50 am 

After seeing the vid that Mark posted with the BLP carb test with that digger going down track i am wondering what is happing in your bowels O:) going down track mounted sideways #-o

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:39 am 
Site Admin

I'm going to move this conversation to the fuel section.

Board index » Racing Forum » General Topics