Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: Reaction help needed
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:33 pm 

OK guy's I want to run some 4/10 protree stuff and about .050 is the best I can cut shallow staged my car info listed below.
My little vega is a 4 link rear with non adjustable struts up front with 1.5" travel in both directions, the car runs 6.1's @113 in the eighth mile. I usually run 1055-1065 delay on a 5/10 full tree and .050-.060 on a 5/10 protree. I use a 4000 launch chip and the converter flashes to about 5700, I know leaving on the converter will help but, prolly not enough to to be competetive on a 4/10 tree. The 4 link bars are kinda short @ 19" center to center of heims, my bottom bars are in the lower holes on both the chassis and the housing and that equals about 2.5 degrees down in front. The top bars are in the hole closest to the housing and the 2nd hole up on the upper section of holes, this nets about 46" out and 6" up intersect point. Strange D/A shocks on the rear set at 3 from soft on compression and 5 from soft on extension.
Can anyone suggest what needs to happen in order to make the car react faster?

BTW the driver is old and fat so, there's prolly not much to help him.lol

Post subject: Re: Reaction help needed
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:29 pm 

Set your launch to around 5300, it will make a difference in reaction.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:28 pm 
Site Admin

Stiff sidewall tires will help also if you aren't already running them. I went to a 30761 MT tire on the Camaro and it woke it up. Had to add time in the box for them also.

You probably don't want to hear this one, but a ladder bar suspension is "suppose" to react quicker than a 4 link. ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:44 pm 

Is your transbrake a Pro-tree brake? What size dump hole is drilled in back of trans? Some trans-brake spools have an adjustment that can be adjusted for quickest release. Front tire diameter ... smaller is quicker and more air pressure is quicker.

Like Mark mentioned run up on the converter more, 5000 chip vs flat on converter stalling 5700 makes a couple hundredths on my dragster.

You might gain a little by wiring your button direct to the TB ... ie not wired thru the delay box where even set on zero has to release a relay.

.050 is a lot to make up, but with all these things you may be getting close.

Rick

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:35 am 

As mentioned, all these tweaks will all add up and help. You could also adjust the 4-link to hit the tires harder and also firm up the shocks a bit too. All these little things always add up and will help with RT. You can also try going into the beams further, but you'll need to be careful about trying to do it the same ever time.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:14 am 
Site Admin

The point Rick brought up about the transbrake is a good one as even if there isn't a spool adjustment there, you can shim the solenoid back some to shorten the stroke.

I've done something different on the reverse apply/release holes in the case in that I do the normal 5/16" hole behind the reverse piston but I also put a string of 4 or 5 1/8" holes down toward the valve body. I use a larger drill too in that cavity that leads down to the valve body for reverse apply/release but I can't remember the size. 7/16" comes to mind but I'm not exactly sure. :-k

TRANSBRAKE BUTTON STROKE! I made spacers for my button mount so I could adjust the button travel down to an absolute minimum! On mine, I'd bet that the button doesn't travel more than like .010 or maybe even less from on to off.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:03 am 

Car has a 5.43 rear gear now, it can't stand anymore.
Stiff wall tires already on it.
Protree brake.
Trans is a Dedenbear case so , what ever hole dumps the reverse fluid is from them.
Which direction should the bolt on the trans case be set to get the quickest release? I think it's 6 turns out now.
Moroso button, stroke is very short...lol
The car sits low in the front, I switched from 26" to 24" front tires last fall and the chassis didn't work nearly as good, also I really didn't see any difference in reaction times. I think the shorter tire made it more difficult to transfer weight.
What 4-link setting will react faster?

Thanks for the suggestions!!! Please keep them coming \:D/

Last edited by oobob on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:53 pm 

I see you're on DRR and XPS Fan has replied about 4-link settings. You're in very good hands, Fred is very knowledgeable. I'm sure others will chime in as well. Good luck

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:47 pm 

Ok guy's I got under the car today and some of the info I posted on the 4 link is incorrect. My bottom bars are down 4.6 degrees in front with the intersect @ 48 " out and 4- 1/4" up
I can get them 2.4 degrees down and intersect @ 47 out and 6- 3/4 up or
41 out and 7-1/4 up
Wheelbase is 99"
I don't know the center of gravity but, the camshaft is 20" high

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:29 pm 

try to find a intersection on your vega that will net you 36-38" like a ladder bar .

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes