Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Read These First » Newbie's Corner

Post subject: Re: Maryland newbie
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:32 pm 

Just for interest, I would be careful with E85 if you live in cold environments. Ethanol and gasoline separate out of solution at cold temperatures obtainable in inlet manifolds especially if your using Nitrous too. Not everyone who reads here is a drag racer so some people will be running their engines in snow etc. A friend of mine logged inlet manifold temps of minus 70F in his nitrous race engine. That was on normal race fuel not E85 which would be even colder. I think from memory it takes about minus 40F to separate ethanol from gasoline. The separation temperature is much higher if there is water contamination so its easier to separate if contaminated. Once the ethanol and gasoline separate you then have LOW OCTANE gasoline for the conditions, functioning as an independent fuel. Its going to detonate. As far as Im concerned this in the only drawback of E85, its OK if your aware, its just that you have to watch it when you start to push the edge, just like anything really isnt it.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:35 pm 

Ron Gusack wrote:
I take some verbal abuse for the dual plane intake sometimes also.
But what you got is OK because your feeding the dual plane with a dominator. Its all good.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:16 am 

European E blend fuels are different to USA versions. The USA is or has banned MTBE and is or will be in the process of replacing it with ETBE or Ethanol blends.
According to Caltex, Ethanol is not commonly used in Europe, probably because of the use of MTBE as an octane enhancer and oxygenate and lack of suitable agriculture for large scale ethanol production. Ethanol blends are limited to a maximum of 5%.
MTBE is not likely to function at idle loads, it requires considerable temperature around (1850F I think it is)to release the O contained in MTBE for usage. The point of MTBE activation in the burn is late even when the load is moderately high, I dont like it as a tuning substance because it release temp is close to CO formation, it's difficult to figure out the CO balance with it. If it doesnt function at idle then the engine will run poorly, it will run like its got very low octane fuel. The blenders rely on the MTBE to get the necessary octane. Its a good oxygenate that raises octane and saves them money.
I would expect that E5% blend with MTBE would be a recipe for your trouble. Extra cold due to the Ethanol wouldnt help matters. Of course engines can be modified to overcome any issue.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:03 pm 

Welcome.

I seen something that interested me. E85 will work with 14:1cr is that for N/A for F/I?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

Disturbed wrote:
Welcome.

I seen something that interested me. E85 will work with 14:1cr is that for N/A for F/I?

EITHER, but a carburetor has to be recalibrated to use it. There's several guys on here that are into the E85 thingie. jmarkaudio's brother runs a 14.5 to 1 SB2 engine on E85 and I'm looking at possibly switching to it myself depending on what methanol goes for this year.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:41 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
Disturbed wrote:
Welcome.

EITHER, but a carburetor has to be recalibrated to use it. There's several guys on here that are into the E85 thingie. jmarkaudio's brother runs a 14.5 to 1 SB2 engine on E85 and I'm looking at possibly switching to it myself depending on what methanol goes for this year.

I know a lot of guys on here use carbs, but I have port fuel injection. I assume it will still work with that high of cr. What if I can't get E85 can I use a mix of pump 93+water/meth?

Board index » Read These First » Newbie's Corner