Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » E85 Fuel Systems

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Another E-85 Convert
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:01 pm 

Okay, I broke down the HPI carb looking for secrets. There are none. The mainwells use a #2 tapered pin reamer just like the rest of us. The emulsion package is nothing remarkable. It's what we are all doing to 4150 carbs.

Only in the boosters do I see anything special. They are standard .178 passage 850 boosters. It looks as if the builder machined the steps into them himself. The step is .4698 in diameter and .320 deep. Booster ID is .375 with an outside diameter of .620 or so.

I sent photos to jmarkaudio. Maybe he can post them.

Bruce

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:06 pm 

Not anything I see out of the ordinary, other than Bruces 850 does not have a stepped booster, when we put our new emulsion back in the Demon it does. I think it will be the best so far of the 4150's.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:12 pm 
Site Admin

OK so I got to ask, what is the step in the booster doing? :-k

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:07 am 

Stepping the booster allows an area for the fuel to flow around without blocking the hole. They spray better with a better fan and finer drops because the fuel can exit the delivery tube and be contained in the stalled area under the step and then exit into the air stream. The resultant fan has more even AFR spread around the fan or cone of fuel.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:12 am 

BLP sells a variety of stepped boosters, they come with the booster passage in different diameters for different carb sizes and fuels. They also have a Braswell booster, a stepped booster with the exit taper that has an outward radius. The Demon booster has a step and then an angled chamfer at the bottom. Both I think were done to spread the fan or cone of fuel wider off the bottom of the booster.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:45 pm 

Just before we removed the engine from the dyno we made some pulls. jmark's Demon made 542 peak HP and 450+ TQ with the three emulsion calibration. BSFC was .570. It had 96H jets in it and probably could have used 97s at least and maybe 98s.

This was an increase of 13HP over the best HP achieved with the two emulsion calibration.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:15 pm 

You guys have done really well. Its good to have lots of time to do dyno stuff isnt it. It takes a lot of time and effort over long break periods to understand what needs to be. Your fortunate to have had the experience you had.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:46 pm 

I ran my 1050 at the Divisional race a couple weeks ago, with a different emulsion package on it. I was running Super Comp with a throttle stop to slow the car to 8.90, but the fuel curve was the smoothest looking yet with the Dominator. When we get back to the dyno we will work the Dominator a bit more. Emulsion was .018, .018, .020, .022, .024, and main jet was .130.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:48 pm 

shrinker wrote:
You guys have done really well. Its good to have lots of time to do dyno stuff isnt it. It takes a lot of time and effort over long break periods to understand what needs to be. Your fortunate to have had the experience you had.

Thanks shrinker, we appreciate the comment.

You're right, having the time to mess with this stuff was really nice. It was done on Saturdays and weekdays between 5:30 and 8:30PM. A few times we were there twice a week and a Saturday. What really helped was that we planned out what we wanted to accomplish. It got to the point we were working together like a well oiled watch. That's when we began to see some of the eye opening results. I figure we probably have 40 pulls on E85 alone. So much of this does apply to my program even though I run 180 inches more and 93 octane swill.

I couldn't put a price on what I've learned but, it was a lot. I now more fully understand what I've read from your postings and other good information I've read. I've started to read it again.

All this by no means make me an expert but, I think I may be past the beginner stage. The most important thing I've learned is this. When it comes to this stuff, step out of the box a little, as there is no failure only learning. Failure is a learning experience as well.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:02 pm 

nomad wrote:
Failure is a learning experience as well.

The best thing that can ever happen is a failure. Failure forces you to figure out why and in the process you learn far more than with only success. Failure to obtain what you expect is the best teacher that you dont know enough. The more I learn the more I realize I dont know enough.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:07 am 

Oh, I forgot. We're not done yet. I bought enough parts to duplicate the HPI 950. We didn't really tune that one as it wasn't ours. This time we'll see if we can tune it to it's best. That will be a fair comparision then.

Then we'll stick our calibration in it and see what happens then.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:17 pm 

The 950 HP body I ordered came in yesterday. As our booster tool didn't have an adaptor to install the Braswell boosters I had BLP install them for me. They also machined the gasket faces, tumbled, and colored it. It's real purty. I also ordered a BLP billet 4150 baseplate ,no guts in it, to see if it's something I want to mess with.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:39 pm 

Will you be doing more dyno testing?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:48 pm 

Yes, but probably not for a few weeks. Kevin at APE has been generous with the dyno time and flow bench, but has some work at the moment that is more important for him to take care of. We will resume when the time allows.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:28 pm 

Interesting thing I saw. eric68 claims over on innovate forum that he does his calibrations a lot different to Quickfuel for E85. Humm you guys have pulled one of his carbs apart and said its basically what everyone else is doing. Or am I mistaken. HPI may be Mark W. Im not sure. Clarify please.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » Racing Forum » E85 Fuel Systems