Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: How Much Is Too Much??
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:07 pm 
Site Admin

With my dragster doing 1.12 short times yesterday on tires that are 10 years old I'm wondering if it can be any better? Then I looked at this video real close in stop action and it looks like there's a ton of tire spin going on so this begs the question of "how much is too much" where tire spin is concerned? I realize that there has to be "some" tire spin as the Camaro ALWAYS had a little at the hit but this seems to be quite a bit more than that.

Here's link to that video and be warned that it's over 13MB and will take a minute or two to load and it's best to associate it with Quicktime player.

http://kenrutledge.com/movies/dragster1.mp4

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:24 pm 

I couldn't slow it down to frame by frame, however it does seem like it spins almost out to the 60' light. For bracket type racing, typically it's easier to be consistant if you dead hook. Controlling tire spin is tough to keep consistant. One thing for sure, I wouldn't be overly concerned until you get some new tires on the thing to see where you're at.

Looks like a pretty nice clean run for a "test" =D>

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

J_6961 wrote:
I couldn't slow it down to frame by frame,

You CAN do that with Quiktime Player. That is what you are using, right? :-k

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:30 pm 

Nope, windows media player (Windows 7) It could slow it down to 50% of regular speed. That's all I have access to here at work.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:43 pm 
Site Admin

Using Quicktime Player you can start that video, then hit the pause button and it will stop. Then you can use the arrow keys to make it go forward and or backward frame by frame. It's really neat as you can actually inch it along and see there is NO light on between bulbs on the tree coming down. That .013 light looks weird too when you do that.

What I did was look at the lettering on the tire and to see how many times it came up top. That's a 104" roll out tire and that means that if there was a dead hook then there'd only be 2.16 revolutions from the hit to the starting line. From what I can see there's 3 turns from the hit to the starting line and there's even more after that.

I guess I'll never really know though unless I spend some money on a new set of tires. =P~

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:22 pm 

Not that I know anything about drag racing. But...if I was getting 1.12 60ft times...I wouldn't care about tires spin as that is awesome.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:54 pm 
Site Admin

Disturbed wrote:
Not that I know anything about drag racing. But...if I was getting 1.12 60ft times...I wouldn't care about tires spin as that is awesome.

Thanks but that engine in the Camaro I sold a couple of weeks back has been 1.15s and would 1.18/1.19 almost anywhere. ;-)

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:13 am 

Ken0069 wrote:
Disturbed wrote:

Thanks but that engine in the Camaro I sold a couple of weeks back has been 1.15s and would 1.18/1.19 almost anywhere. ;-)

Damn....I need my bucket to do that! \:D/

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes