Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: Shorty Glide?
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:55 am 
Site Admin

I think I may have a problem with this transmission. Since I got the car running it's been lazy going in reverse. Low and drive seem to be OK but it's been lazy going in reverse and at times it's acted like it's slipping. On the last pass Friday night I used the transbrake (footbraked the previous two runs) and Pro Stage, then saw full yellow before I let the button go and had a -.122 red light, which means that the car left as soon as the K&R activated the Pro Stage and the throttle went WFO, meaning that reverse was still applied but not enough to hold the car? That would also explain it being lazy leaving too.

The only thing I can come up with that would cause this is the shorty conversion plate on the tail end of the tranny. The roller bearing plate I had there before didn't have a gasket and it worked fine. So when I put this shorty cover on I didn't use a gasket either because it was shipped without one. Now if that shorty cover isn't fitting tight against the rear of the transmission, there's a good chance that enough fluid is leaking around it to cause what I'm seeing/feeling in the car.

So, I'll make a phone call to BTE tomorrow to see if there is suppose to be a gasket between that shorty adapter and the case and I'm betting that I'm gonna have to pull this thing to put one in before I can go back out.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject: Re: Shorty Glide?
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:02 am 

I guess you can't do that gasket with the trans in there???
Just for the heck of it I may want to put a gauge on the reverse if there is an port for it
to check the pressure... :-k

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:38 pm 
Site Admin

Beretta wrote:
I guess you can't do that gasket with the trans in there???

Yeah, if I pull the rear end housing completely out of the car. There's no way to get the coupler and shorty cover off as there's just barely enough room to put it in with that stuff in place. It's probably going to be easier to pull the tranny. You forget that I have a "Pit Bitch"! =;

Beretta wrote:
Just for the heck of it I may want to put a gauge on the reverse if there is an port for it
to check the pressure... :-k

No port on this case and if there was, I couldn't get to it with the transmission shield on it and again, it's probably just as easy to drop it as it would be trying to do all that with the tranny in the car. I can probably have it out in 45 minutes. We'll work on it tomorrow evening.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:22 am 

Ken, what case do you have? Ive just been reading up on powerglides and there is an old case with different reverse passages. One hole has to be plugged and a new hole drilled before a shorty cover can go on. Ive never seen it, just read about it.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:20 pm 
Site Admin

Mark this is a late model case because it has the smog switch on the high gear circuit, which puts it around what, 1973 or 74? :-k I used that switch on the Camaro to trigger the high gear ignition retard.

I called Brian at BTE this morning and his analysis of what was wrong was the same as mine, ie, that shorty cover is NOT seating against the case. He says that there is suppose to be a thin spacer that goes between that shorty cover and the case?? And my question was, then why wasn't it in the skin package with the shorty cover I got it??? O:)

Ennywho, he is sending me one and I should have it by Wednesday I hope.

This all goes back to the fact that I never locked the transbrake down to see where this new converter was stalling! I just "assumed" that since it would go forward and backward that everything was OK. NEVER ASS-U-ME! O:)

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:07 pm 

Nice how a packaging mistake costs you some extra work and hassle!

Denis =;

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

axegrinder wrote:
Nice how a packaging mistake costs you some extra work and hassle!

Denis =;

Yeah, I did thank him for having to pull that transmission out to fix their mistake! :-({|= Such is life I guess!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

FYI, that shorty cover is .010 short of hitting the back of the tranny case so that's why it was lazy going in reverse and why the transbrake didn't work right.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:57 am 

Glad you got it fixed Ken. If you ever hit the lottery or win a big money race, I would look into a Reid/Dedenbear, ATI, TCI aftermarket glide case and roller tail housing. Nice stuff and no safety shields needed as a safety liner is installed and boy is it evernice having to just pull a trans with a case and no shields ](*,) makes things so much racer friendly, bad thing is, it wil cost almost a grand for the case and tail hsg. and after doing the swapover I would think over a grand when all said and done. You would have Excellent case work space and room. Just a thought, I know you have seen them and know about them, but, should I ass-u-me???? =; \:D/ \:D/

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes