Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Under Construction

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

Just got a call from Mike at Fab Shop Headers and my headers are done and will ship tomorrow. Hopefully they will be here by Friday and on the car shortly thereafter. So looks like Saturday I'll be working on the trailer getting it where I can drive the car in and out without dragging @ the dove tail. On the last one I used some 2x12 boards placed where they would lift the back end of the car higher as it came on the ramp door. Will probably use that method again.

The guy that did the nose piece is going to refinish the scoop that came with the car. Been looking on fleabay for one of the newer scoops at a decent price only to watch the price go up around $40 in the past few months. There's one in Canada at a decent price but it also has 2 week shipping, which won't work now so I'll just get the old scoop fixed so I can use that for the rest of this season. I guess since it's an old style car with old style wheels and an old style guy driving it, an old style scoop will be right at home!! \:D/

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:22 pm 
Site Admin

IT'S CHRISTMAS IN SEPTEMBER! \:D/ Image

Only problem is that the collector is suppose to be 7.5 inches long and they are 12"?? I guess he forgot to cut them off? I sent a spec sheet with the dimensions that I wanted. Guess I'll have to take them off and carry them out to a friends shop who has a plasma cutter since it's really hard to cut that stuff straight with a hack saw.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:33 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
Looks like I'll have a set of Fab Shop headers for my dragster after all. The deal was done this afternoon and I'll likely have them by the end of the month.

You posted that on the 7th and have them 15 days later. Sounds like they are one of the few places that offer a great product and customer service. The fact that Tim passed away about the time you contacted them I would call that exceptional.

You can cut those collectors off with a chop saw or a bandsaw. If you want to take a crack at it with a hacksaw I would put a big hose clamp around it for a guide where you want to cut it and then dress it with a grinder.

Looking good =;

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:14 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah Chuck, I contacted them via their website the night Tim died. The next morning I got a call from Mike and we talked about what I wanted to do and we were somewhat on the same page.

I sent him the flanges on 9/8/11, they received them on 9/14/11 and they shipped the finished product to me on 9/20/11 and I got them today.

I'm happy with them and I'm looking forward to getting to the track next week. The only thing I can see that needs improvement is Mike's people skills and hopefully someone else will be taking over that part of the business in the not too distant future. ;-)

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:00 am 

Looking good Ken!!!!!!!!!
If you sell the Camaro I think you should get them coated =; ...Save that box they came in...Nitro Plate is what the Fab shop uses and that's what's on mine and look good so far.... =;

So are you going to run it on those tires???

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:23 am 
Site Admin

Beretta wrote:
If you sell the Camaro I think you should get them coated =;

Nah, too much money for me. Header paint is $9 a can and I can touch them up if needed. You have to realize that the tires will throw whatever is on the ground on to the header so it's hard to keep them looking good with that happening. And with the way my EGT probes mount they get scratched up from the SS hose clamps.

Beretta wrote:
So are you going to run it on those tires???

Yeah Barry, I had a half gallon of Formula V left over and I've probably got enough for two or three coatings and I'll be done with that. Probably have put 25 coats on them already.

Bubstr had given me his secret tire treatment recipe but I didn't have a source for one of ingredients so I just decided to use the Formula V instead. Don't look for any spectacular ETs with'em but at least I'll be able to get an idea of what finish line RPM will be with them and that is something I need to know before I buy new tires. The ones on there now are 33" so I can go up or down in tire size to change finish line RPM one way or the other. And...... :-k those MT 30761 tires on the Camaro might find their way on to this car! O:) ;-)

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:09 am 

That 30761 may not be such a good choice for the dragster. M/T told me the stiff sidewall tire is recommended for a car with a suspension and non suspended cars do better with the soft sidewall tire.

Chuck's Automotive

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:40 am 
Site Admin

gearhead1011 wrote:
That 30761 may not be such a good choice for the dragster. M/T told me the stiff sidewall tire is recommended for a car with a suspension and non suspended cars do better with the soft sidewall tire.

Funny you mention that but the guy I bought this car from was running NHRA Super Comp with it and it's got "S" sidewall Hoosier tires on it now cuz that's what they ran. I Emailed him and asked about that and he told me they mainly did that for reaction times but he didn't have anything negative to say about them otherwise?? I can't remember who it was but I remember others running those "S" sidewall tires on dragsters too.

So in the middle of writing this, I just got off the phone with MT and they say that I can run that tire on this car since the HP is up around 800. According to them, it takes either a heavy car or a higher HP engine in a light car to make them work. He also says that most guys that run dragsters run a "similar" stiff sidewall tire that is 33" not 32" in diameter. What I wind up with will depend on what finish line RPM is.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:55 pm 
Site Admin

Well, I went over to TMCs this afternoon and welded the evac tubes in the headers but the sand blasting deal went on hold because it was raining like a bitch. So I came back home and bolted those headers on that thing and fired it up to check some stuff out. Timing was 6* late, tranny needed two quarts and I've got a new oil leak in the timing cover area and also a water leak somewhere behind the motor plate?? So I dumped a couple of tablespoons of black pepper in the cooling system and I guess I'll have to put a "home made" diaper under the timing cover to catch the oil as I'll be damned if I'll pull that pan again any time soon!!! O:) Seriously, don't know how this happened as it's a brand new gasket/install and I've NEVER seen this before??? Oh, and BTW, the leak behind the engine was probably one of those 3 oil gallery plugs as it's dry back there now, which is REALLY GOOD NEWS! \:D/

So in review, the charging system worked (14+V), the tranny worked, the engine worked, electric temp gauge, oil pressure gauge with 10ft cap tube (although it was almost 20lbs low), the accumulator worked and the cooling system worked. So right now I could get in this thing and make a pass if I was at the track!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

So I got to smell some methanol this afternoon and hear this 18* bitch with no mufflers for a change, found stuff that worked and some stuff that didn't and got a "charge" and now I'm ready!. =;

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:02 pm 

I would always run the flame of a torch (propane works) over the surface of the header before painting. This will burn off any oil left behind and it gets in between places you can't reach to wipe down. Paint them while they're still warm. I like VHT header paint the best.

Why not weld EGT bungs in instead of the clamp on?

Chuck's Automotive

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:06 pm 
Site Admin

gearhead1011 wrote:
Why not weld EGT bungs in instead of the clamp on?

I already have the clamp on type and they are paid for. =;

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:08 pm 
Site Admin

Well, I'm about to get really pissed!! Every time I turn around I got a freaking leak coming from either the cooling or oiling system and I haven't even made it to the track yet!!!! I spent the entire day Sunday working on the cooling system only to STILL have a freaking leak in the transmission cooler at the end of the day!!! DAYMNUMIT!!!

But hey, after a wasted afternoon horking around with a sand blaster that worked "half assed", those $1000 headers have a coat of high temp black paint on them and I've heat cycled them enough that the paint will stay one. And while I was doing this, I'll be damned if a valve cover gasket didn't start leaking like a sieve and now I got to change one of those, which is a custom piece BTW!

This car has been a curse to this point! I've never had as many problems with insignificant s**t on any car as I have on this one! It's enough to make a man lose his religion!

But at the end of the day I did get to hear it run again and that makes is all worth while! \:D/

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

Got a sticker on the 24ft trailer today then put the car on the floor and tried to load it but it's a no go until I get some lumber to build up the ramp door to get the rear of the car up enough for the frame to clear the drop off at the dove tail. 2 each 2x10x10' pieces and one 8 ft long should do it and once I get her loaded we'll be ready for Roxboro Friday night.

We finally had a drop in humidity today. It's been up in the 75% to 100% for the last two weeks now but today it's down to 50% and the forecast says it's going to be like this for a few days. \:D/

The last thing I need is seat belts as the ones that Ron Owens sent me were the wrong ones for this car. I sent those back to him last week and he was suppose to send me the correct ones but still haven't heard anything from him and he didn't reply to an Email I sent him yesterday. So since I'm running out of time, I just went ahead and ordered a set from another source late last night.

Don't know WTF is wrong with Ron and his parts business as he just seems to have a don't give a s**t attitude about it any more?? Up until about 6 months ago things were pretty much "normal" but here lately I just can't depend on him. There was a time I could order a part from him and have it in 2 days max and I got a crankshaft from him when I was building this 18* engine within 24 hours! Those days are long gone now though. Hopefully one day he'll get his s**t together again!

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:00 am 
Site Admin

Well, I'm holding my breath waiting for something else to hork up but right now everything is a go for testing tonight. Only down side is that I don't have enough fuel but for 6 passes. O:) Yeah, I've run out of methanol except for what's in the car and about 3 gallons in a jug. I've got about 4 gallons of C12 so I may just swap carbs and run gas through the rest of this season.

Ennywho, here's a picture of the car complete except for the nose piece, which is mounted to a bracket on the wall in the trailer.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:10 pm 

Good luck, hope it flies!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Racing Forum » Under Construction