Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Under Construction

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:16 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah Bob I had thought about that but then the controller would have to move all that cable along with the carb linkage. It takes 120 psig to open those dual carbs now and if I add having to move that cable, well, not sure how that would work. This way the air cylinder will only have to open the carbs without moving the cable too.

I did add a throttle return spring on the gas petal today, which will help the spring mounted on the engine return that 14ft cable. ;-)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:59 pm 
Site Admin

Rear gear is setup? Had a rough spot on one tooth on the pinion that I had to stone to get it to pass that spot? Dunno what that came from as none of the others looked like that one. I guess if it horks up I'll know what was wrong, hey.

Ennywho, will put the pumpkin back in the car tomorrow and the next item to go in after that will be the tranny. \:D/

Should have those flanges from The Fab Shop by weeks end so I'll know more about headers when they get here. Just in case I did finish machining the ones that I was making so if theirs won't fit, maybe they'll use mine? :-k

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:19 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like I'll have a set of Fab Shop headers for my dragster after all. The deal was done this afternoon and I'll likely have them by the end of the month. So that leaves October for some "serious" testing AND racing!! \:D/ Image

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:43 pm 

You have 3 weeks to get the logger in there!!!!!!!!Go for it!!!

What happened to your posts showing the header flanges #-o #-o #-o

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:22 pm 
Site Admin

Post? Well, obviously Mike at the Fab Shop liked my flanges too and that's probably all I better say about that. =;

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

Well, the rear end is back together and in the car and I put the tranny in today and believe it or not, the coupler lines up perfect!?? \:D/ Gots to get three more flywheel to converter bolts as the ones I've got now are 1/4" short. Will get those tomorrow then sit the car back on the floor as there's not much of anything left to do on the under side that can't be done with it sitting on the floor.

We're getting closer all the time! \:D/

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:11 pm 

Looking good Ken!!! I like that Distributor =; =; .........

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:52 am 
Site Admin

Beretta wrote:
Looking good Ken!!! I like that Distributor =; =; .........

Yeah, my favorite Yankee gave me that thing. Lucky I needed it when I did cuz he was going to trash it. One man's junk is another man's treasure! ;-)

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:22 am 

Ken,

Make sure that you re-check that coupler when you have the car sitting on 4 tires and with somebody (or you) sitting in the car. It made a big difference in my car( when it was a hardtail). It was told fill it with fuel and with the driver in the car. Just like it would be at the starting line. Bob

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:58 pm 
Site Admin

scoop wrote:
Ken,

Make sure that you re-check that coupler when you have the car sitting on 4 tires and with somebody (or you) sitting in the car. It made a big difference in my car( when it was a hardtail). It was told fill it with fuel and with the driver in the car. Just like it would be at the starting line. Bob

Yup, that's the plan Bob. The coupler is in there but the set collar isn't tight so I can move it back out before I put it on the floor. I've owned two of these hard tail cars before. ;-) On the first car I had I would have to move the set collar about every second or third time I had it out? I guess there was some slight missalignment there that wanted to push the male piece out. They stop moving when that piece is all the way out? O:) ........... =;

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

Beretta wrote:
I like that Distributor =; =; .........

You probably like this fuel pump also then. =;

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:55 pm 
Site Admin

Well, just ran into another problem. I've run an remote oil filter on this engine from back when it was in the Studebaker with dual remote filters. Header clearance was a problem on the Camaro so I just put a remote filter on that and that's also how I plumbed the accumulator in that system.

Well, I had contacted Rick about what he used to plumb his accumulator with and he gave me a part number for an adapter to do that with. I had contacted Ron Owens and asked him to send me one of those but he never did.

So, here I sit today and I got to looking at the oil pan in the area where the filter goes and found yet another problem. Can't put a stock filter on this thing especailly if I use that Moroso adapter that drops it down another 1.5 inches? Here's a pic of what I'm talking about.

So it looks like I'll be running a remote filter after all as I'm not about to pull that pan again any time soon!! Will make a plate to bolt to the engine mount boss and mount that remote filter there instead.

In case you are wondering what that is, it's a site glass to show oil level in the pan. These BowTie blocks have NO provision for a dip stick so I put that thing on there when I put this engine in the Studebaker YEARS ago! ;-) 7 quarts of oil will show about 1/4" below the very top of the site glass. Filter holds one and I put another quart and a half in for the accumulator.

Oh the joys of owning and working on a race car!! But hey, if it was easy, then any ID10T could do it, right! ;-)

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

You may or may not know what this is but it's something I've run on the Camaro since I've had it so it gets transplanted to the dragster. It's an oil cooler that uses water instead of air, otherwise known as a "Heat Exchanger" and it's a commercial piece that was built to cool the oil in a commercial air compressor like the ones used in large companies.

One thing I don't like about these 225" cars is that the radiator is mounted over the transmission. NOT the ideal place for one but a place just the same. The first digger I had with the 482" BBC was like this and what I found was that rocks off the tires find their way into the fan and can really hork up radiator fins. Ennywho, we're stuck with that so I'll make the best of it. One thing I'm doing that most don't is I'm going to run 1" hose in the system instead of the -8 (1/2") that most use. That's 4 times the capacity and will aid in cool down between late rounds and will also help with transmission oil cooling. I've checked and PVC fittings are good for 100 pisg @ 210* of temp so I'm good there and I'll use those fittings for this install rather than regular pipe fittings. I really don't want this thing to look like a hardware store! O:)

CAN YOU SAY 4.80S BOYS AND GIRLS? I KNEW YOU COULD! Image But not with those tires! =;

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:34 pm 

Nothing wrong with those Hoosier Tires Ken!! Seems like I see them all the time on those low 4 second rides.. Door Cars and Dragsters.

6.07@110 on Alcohol Injection with a 4-link 4-6-12
Best 60' 1.2537 Alcohol Injection 4-29-11
Thru the Mufflers!!

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:57 pm 

us7race wrote:
Nothing wrong with those Hoosier Tires Ken!! Seems like I see them all the time on those low 4 second rides.. Door Cars and Dragsters.

Guess you never had a set of MT's =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Racing Forum » Under Construction