Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Under Construction

Post subject: Re: Winter overhaul
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:55 pm 

Congratulations! Glad you had a good test trip to the track. \:D/

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:27 am 
Site Admin

ImageImageOUT AND BACK AND STILL IN ONE PIECE! I'D SAY THAT WAS A GOOD TEST SESSION FOR SURE!ImageImage \:D/

Post subject: Re:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:24 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
ImageImageOUT AND BACK AND STILL IN ONE PIECE! I'D SAY THAT WAS A GOOD TEST SESSION FOR SURE!ImageImage \:D/

Ain't that the truth!! One more session and then licensing! Next time out I'm gonna lean on it quite a bit. I'm hoping I can judge my speed a bit better now, but I think I'm just gonna let it rip and hope I don't get into too much trouble!

http://www.livinthedreamracing.com

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:44 pm 
Site Admin

Mark trust me on this as I've driven door cars and dragsters and had opportunities for both to get crossed up and you're gonna have to hork up REALLY BAD to get that dragster out of shape!! Them long wheelbase cars are designed for speed and ill handling just isn't in them! If you've driven in the snow and know how to drive a car in a straight direction when it's sideways then you got nothing to worry about!! Call on'er and give it all she's got as I expect that she will take what both you and the engine have to throw at'er! ;-) \:D/

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:13 pm 

It does handle well, not one hint of doing anything other than going straight! Had to reset my alignment though, as the front tires were scrubbing a bit and it was hard to turn. Fixed that though! One thing I can tell you is you know for sure it's a hard tail when the brake releases! It feels like you're getting punched HARD in the back! My last 60' ft. was only a 1.50, but watching the video showed me spinning almost 3/4 of a revolution and then hooking and going. I'm wondering how much that cost my time. That's ok though, I'll get used to it! Next year when the bottle goes back on, I'm sure my kidneys will love me!

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:03 pm 

Glad to hear of your success/progress! Must be nice livin' close to Bandimere. Do you ever get involved with the track rentals?

PHILLYGOAT

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:15 pm 
Site Admin

Mark, just some random thoughts for the situation you are having to deal with due to chassis limitations.

With the TH400 in that car it's going to be really hard to NOT have the tire turn at the hit if you plan to use all three gears. That's one of the advantages of the Glide as the 1:80 ratio (or higher) low gear takes some of the hit off the tire. I just ordered a 1:69 planetary for the tranny for my dragster and will eventually wind up with either a 4:56 or 4:86 gear in the rear with a 33.5 inch tire to run eight mile only tracks. If I was going to run quarter mile then I'd be looking at a 4:30 (maybe 4:56) and the same tire and planetary.

There is one thing that you might want to consider and that is using a "tall" rear gear (3:55 or maybe even higher) and only using 1st and 2nd gear down track. That would help take some hit off the tire.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:36 pm 

Phillygoat, no, never done the track rental thing. I know some people that have though.....yeah, almost exactly three miles from the track. We can hear the cars whenever they are racing!

Ken, I know the first gear in the trans is hitting the tires pretty hard. Another issue with the tire spin is the track prep on Wednesday test and tunes.......There isn't any to speak of. It's a night that they bring street cars and whatever in to race to help keep them off the streets. They clean the track, but that's about it, no sticky stuff. Even the few other race cars that were there that night were spinning off the line. What I'm working on is getting a set of 3.89's for the rearend and a new set of slicks, going to a 34.5 over the 33's that are on it now. That should help with the hit off the line. Car weight is 2020. I also had a bit more air in them than maybe I should have, right at 8 psi. I'm going to drop it to 7 next time out and see what happens. Looking at the video and pics from that night, I didn't get much sidewall response and it looked like the tires were a bit overinflated. That's ok though, I'd rather work towards good bite and a tuneup than to run away from it! In the future when money allows, I'm putting in a 2.10 low gearset as well. I'll find the happy spot! Using 6500 as a shift point, it shifted from first to second around 330'. I'm guessing the second shift would have been just before the 1000' mark if I would have stayed in it long enough to reach shift rpm. I'm thinking also of short shifting first, legging it out in second, then make the 2-3 shift at around 7000-7400 depending on what the car likes. One thing for sure, once I get it hooking off the line, my 60' times are going to be quick! I'm just anxious to get out there for another test session and get on it a bit more!

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:19 pm 
Site Admin

FYI tire pressure is going to be down around 5/5.5 psig HOT. That's what I ran on the last two cars I got down the track with.

Yeah, short shifting is an option but that low gear hit is what's the killer. I've set the shift on my Camaro @ an RPM that was just after the converter flashed at the brake release and it worked OK but stayed on the verter forever. Made a couple of passes like that just to see what would happen and it didn't break anything. It did slow down a fair amount though due to no low gear. With your car I'd think that the higher rear gear and using 1st and 2nd through the quarter mile would be the ticket.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:09 pm 

Good Deal Mark. With all the work you needed to get out there. I'm glad it did what you wanted and got it back with out major issues. Good luck on your license runs \:D/ \:D/

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Board index » Racing Forum » Under Construction