Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech

Post subject: Re: Truck motor?
 Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:46 am 

If that cam that my machinist had won't work the way we want it to how does this one look??
Don,Rick,Randy,Mark,Ken.......etc =;
http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam- ... =1108&sb=0

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:51 am 

Hey, I really like their regulator. Especially if you can adjust pressure without having to take the throttle body off! On the vortec heads, it does take a dedicated tbi intake for them. I haven't priced one lately but they used to be pricey. That's what we used on the 383 I built for my brother. My tbi headed 383 had a lot more bottom end but from 3000 rpm on up he would smoke me! Barry, what tranny you running?

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:57 am 

OUCH!!!!!!!!! Just priced the intakes, the TB and the Vortec.......Nope going to use the stock aluminum one..I have
to budget somewhere.........

What do you guys think about Comps roller tip rockers?? The ones I have seen always seem to ware the pivot
ball and then there junk..Just wondering if I run synthetic oil will fix that issue..

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:06 am 
Site Admin

Barry I've got a set of stamped steel 1.6 roller tipped rockers on the POS engine that was in the Studebaker and also on the 355 engine in my 83 Chebby truck, which have been in there for a LONG time (13+ years) with zero problems that I know of. Those were made by Elgin I think and came from a vendor on fleabay when I bought them. The ones on the POS engine also came from fleabay back about 5 years ago. I think high spring pressure would kill them pretty quick but in your application you won't be running very much as those stocker type rollers are way agressive on advanced valve timing to keep the power band low in the RPM range. If you look at the red line on the tach on one of those TBI factory roller cam engines it's much lower than what you use to see on a regular OEM flat tappet cam.

So yes I've run them for a while on that one engine and I would use them again if I built another. Oh, and I DO USE SYNTHETIC OIL IN ALL MY ENGINES!

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:20 am 

Barry, I "think" all you'd need is a vortec intake to run vortec heads on that engine.
But since budget has been mentioned more than once, I'd use what you have.
That cam you posted would be a good choise, but if you have a good factory hydraulic roller with good lifters, I'd use that money elsewhere (buying gas)
I'd want the compression up more like 9.5/1 Compression is the one thing I've seen mileage improvements from.

Thoughts on mileage/towing power,
Run the piston to head clearance down to .035" or tighter if you dare.
A flat top piston or inverted dome. (need all the volume in the chamber to be as close to the plug as possible at tdc)
Fresh bore and hone with a tq plate.
I'd run wide valve seats and faces .060" or wider
I would defenitly port the heads. The right port job, and valve job can add considerable power.
I would round off all sharp edges on the piston top.
Make sure the spark plug is exposed in the chamber. Put the right plug in and any threads or part of the casting that's hanging past the end of the plug, gring it away.
Clean up the chamber with a dull carbide cutter, then polish the ex side.
Grind a 15* angle on top of the intake valve on the outside edge.
Cut a small ditch cut on the bottom of the ex valve at the bottom of the 45* face.
Put the heads on the block and scribe the bore onto the head. Then make the ex side match the bore as best you can.

I'd skip higher ratio rockers on an engine for daily driving.

Randy

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:08 am 

Barry,

The cam you are looking at there is ok,...

Did you look at this cam? About the same lift. .525ish lift if you go to the 1.5 rockers. "Roller-Superb low end and mid-range" catches my eye. 08-465-8 260XFI HR13

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam- ... d=207&sb=0

Here is something I like a bit more. 08-302-8 264HR-12

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam- ... d=212&sb=2

What do you think of these?

Don

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:06 am 

Thanks Randy,Don,,,,,, Any body want to give some advise on hyd roller lifters?

One of the cams you had picked out says for factory TBI would there be an issue with
using it with TB?? I would not think so but not sure...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:09 am 

Barry,

Thing I've seen with picking out a cam for EFI is you need to have the vacuum. I think if a cam will work with one EFI it should with the other.

Something to consider though... you'll need enough installed height, and spring, to be able to run lift that's over .500". I think that stock port would be finished by then anyways,...even with porting.

Have you considered a custom cam? Could call Cam-Motion. I've had very good luck with their cams over the years.

Don

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:43 am 

Custom cam grind is a suggestion #-o Unless it's going to be alot more $$$ remember this is on somewhat of a budget ....I thank you for all your suggestions Don and keep them coming if you have anymore for sure but I would like to here from Rick and Randy on the cam suggestions...Thanks Guys

Also trying to find out the HP/TQ rating for the motor that's in it now but can't seem to find it #-o #-o ...It has a
K engine code and the original window sticker only say's 5.7 option for $270 bucks O:) ...This truck was $22500
brand new in 94 8-[

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:22 am 

Beretta wrote:
Steve, There are a few company's that will reprogram a prom..

Like I said I would love to get a new..er truck but just won't do it now with the way the economy
is right now...I like having no payments...No CC or car...Only one I have is this house...

I'm with ya Barry. We went about 9 years that way. It was hard to take the dive but the traveling with the NMCA with 4 Adults made sense and the wife riding in the extended cab back seat saying we need a bigger truck. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ Good luck with your build. \:D/ \:D/

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:34 pm 

I did some searching and couldn't find for sure the factory cam specs. One site had 206/216 on 117. Anybody have any good info on factory cam specs? I'd want close to the original.

I haven't done anything with a truck or towing type street engine. I'd be unlikely to use anything but the factory cam if gas-mileage is the priority. If the heads have some mild bowl and chamber porting along with chamber polishing, then mill the heads a little to bump your compression. Leave the cam and intake alone.

I have thought about trying one of the chip/programmers for my truck (2007 2500HD 4x4), not for power but for mileage. It gets about 9mpg towing my 26' enclosed trailer.

Rick

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:10 pm 

Rick, I did some more digging and for these spec's for a LO5 engine 5.7,
194/202 385/403 on a 112

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Board index » Racing Forum » Engine & Cylinder Head Tech