Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics

Post subject: MSD
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:36 am 

Has anyone used the Digital MSD 6al-2 (dash 2)? The one with the rotary dials, rather than the plug in modules. Just wondering anyone's thoughts. The motor will be going to the shop within the next month (finally) so we need an ignition box in the near future. I can't believe the car is almost done, or at least there is light at the end of the tunnel. Its been a long time coming.

Post subject: Re: MSD
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:18 pm 

Mike, I had a dig 7 plus that had the dials to program the low/high rpm's no issues at all with it...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:58 pm 

I have a Digital 6 with the dial rev limiters in my roadster and it has worked good and a friend has one too. No issues with either box, but I can't say how much cylinder pressure it would fire against.

Rick

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:47 am 

been running the digital 6 in the race boat, one shutdown last season and i replaced it. lasted 1.5 seasons, now that i read this i forgot to send it back for repair..
I like the box the dial selections are easy to use..

ecbrc super stock 315 4bbl 2007 champs. high point boat overall 2007.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:10 am 
Site Admin

Shrinker, our friend down under has some interesting data on the Digital boxes. Not sure if the 6 box is on his s**t list but he typically doesn't like the Digital boxes and will probably elaborate on that when he sees this post.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:45 pm 

Giday, I havent used a digital 6 yet. I have scope tested and gas bench tested several MSD ignitions and done them with correct coils for them etc and compared them to the Crane HI-6. The only MSD that out performs the Crane for arc stability and combustion efficiency is the MSD 10 plus. MSD in their wisdom have stopped making the 10 plus, so in my opinion MSD have stuffed themselves.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:09 pm 

Hummmm Where's Crane now #-o

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:26 pm 
Site Admin

That HI-6 Crane ignition with coil is on Summit for a little over $300 + the ride. Not bad considering what I paid for this Digital 7 stuff I have?? O:)

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:44 pm 

The LX style coil thats sold in the box with those cheap deals is supposed to be used on high RPM 4 cylinder engines. Crane tech dept have that information somewhere but its hard to find. The coil for racing V8's is the PS-92. Its got the large chrome metal bracket over the outside of it. Theres more guts in the coil, and more guts in the spark. The part number of the box I fit is 6000-6440. That box is the right one for guttsy ignition. You can get the duel stage rev limiter one if you want.
I have proven to my customers and they have agreed with me that changing the MSD digital 7's out to a crane HI-6 makes the cars run better and more power.

The problem is that Crane dont have a ignition timing computer thats any good. That thing they make is cumbersome and not the right features and its expensive. MSD used to make the #8977 ignition timing computer and now they have stopped making that.
I dont know whats going with MSD but their becoming hopeless. Perhaps the accountants have too much say, they should leave it to the engineers and get the sales people to understand the reasons for having the 10 plus and promote it correctly.

I used to fit the msd #8977 and a Crane HI-6 to everything, its a good combo, never had a failure with any of it. MSD claimed that the map sensor fails in the 8977 but never had one fail, I guess tune might be an issue with MAP sensors and maybe thats the reason why they fail.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:48 pm 

Ever try a 16V battery with any of the ignitions to see the difference on a scope?

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

jmarkaudio wrote:
Ever try a 16V battery with any of the ignitions to see the difference on a scope?

My bet is these ignitions have an IC regulator in them and 16v won't make any difference! MSD says their stuff will operate down to 9v so that's all they need to work.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:43 pm 

None of them work at the low voltages claimed. The box will power up but the spark is useless.
The 10 plus must run on minimum of 14 volt, The Crane makes more power in the engine when the battery voltage is high.
All ignitions make more power when the battery is fully charged. People who dont run alternators are kidding themselves.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

shrinker wrote:
People who dont run alternators are kidding themselves.

Well I guess I have done something correctly then as I do run a 70 amp alternator and since I don't run an electric fuel pump I probably got some to spare. Do ya think my Digital 7 will work better because of this? =;

Oh, and what's you opinion on gas porting pistons with .062 rings?

Post Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:15 pm 

16V battery AND an alternator on mine. I don't believe the primary voltage is regulated on a CD ignition.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:07 pm 

Thats happening because the top end is not rich enough. Lean mixtures are better ignited by inductive. Fix the fueling and CDI will win hands down over inductive with correct fueling.

Board index » Racing Forum » Electrical and Electronics