Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » E85 Fuel Systems

Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:25 pm 

It does give a nice clear line to go by, the water absorption is what interested me in the drier material.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:11 am 

shrinker wrote:
jmarkaudio wrote:

that tool is a really good obvious indication of how much water Ethanol absorbs.

So if the fuel had already absorbed some moisture thru bad handling etc it would make your reading show lower alcohol % than it really is?

Rick

Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:08 am 

It will read it as higher. If the ethanol is 100%full of water already then it cant absorb any more so it will read as 100% ethanol

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:14 pm 

Used one of those devices to check my 92 octane BP Ultimate unleaded that I have been running. Turns out it has about 10% ethanol to my surprise. Thought only the lower grades are required to be E10. Was told by my brother they have checked every station around trying to find gas for his airplane and can't find any with 0% ethanol. #-o

Rick

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:21 pm 
Site Admin

Airplane? That should be running on 100LL avgas, which I've run in my Studebaker before. :-k Think it has some in it now. Most of those aircraft engines require leaded fuel? :-k

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:41 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
Airplane? That should be running on 100LL avgas, which I've run in my Studebaker before. :-k Think it has some in it now. Most of those aircraft engines require leaded fuel? :-k

Most small airplanes can run safely on unleaded pump gas. They test and certify airplanes on unleaded and you can buy the certificate (to pay the testers) then it is legal to run pump gas.

Rick

Post Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:19 pm 

rick360 wrote:
Used one of those devices to check my 92 octane BP Ultimate unleaded that I have been running. Turns out it has about 10% ethanol to my surprise. Thought only the lower grades are required to be E10. Was told by my brother they have checked every station around trying to find gas for his airplane and can't find any with 0% ethanol. #-o

Rick

Thats interesting, here in Australia it is a requirement to label all fuels with more than 4% ethanol. So here it would be labeled as such, and not disguised. Consumers have a right to know if the fuel has Ethanol in it because of its corrosion effects and other incompatibilities with rubbers etc. That would be a serious concern for aircraft. There are some casting alloys used for heads etc that Ethanol corrodes during use areas like the ports etc. It leaves residues in the combustion chamber.
I am not aware if any of these residues may cause catalytic reactions to some of the combustion products and it would be difficult to find out the answer to that because not all the products produced during a combustion are known or are stable enough to do test simulations on them.
My advice and I would like you to convey it to your Brother is to not use fuel with Ethanol content and if that means using AV-gas then that's the safest option. I dont know of any aircraft engine that is certified for Ethanol content. When drilling etc like carby passages corrode they actually become smaller in ID at the initial stages. Corrosion is a process that expands the surface of the material. So until its excessively corroded the jets etc will run leaner. Not a good scene for aircraft.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

Was at a small local airport today picking up some 100LL avgas for the Studebaker and the conversation got around to fuel and ethanol and it turns out that Rotax has an engine that is 10% ethanol certified by the FAA here in the States. It's the only one though.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:05 pm 

Possibly some experimental stuff as well, I saw one at an air show with a GM LS engine in it.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:20 am 

shrinker wrote:
My advice and I would like you to convey it to your Brother is to not use fuel with Ethanol content and if that means using AV-gas then that's the safest option. I dont know of any aircraft engine that is certified for Ethanol content.

They were making sure they were not using any ethanol fuel in the airplane, that's why they were testing it. Here in Missouri they made a law that all stations must sell E10 IF its as cheap or cheaper than the non-E fuels. Most stations have switched and don't HAVE to sell E10 because of the price of ethanol, but they don't want the hassle from the state about it and sell ONLY E10, even in the high grade stuff. I will be looking for a replacement fuel and it may include an avgas blend. I will be checking the Kansas stations close by to see if they are ethanol or not.

Rick

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:44 am 

Hey guys thank you for bringing me into the forum. I look forward to first catching up on what you guys have done so far and sharing my experiences with E85. I am newer to the dominator game as well but have done 2 dominators that are working well. Having the 1150 I just did for a friend of mine put on the dyno next week side by side comparison with his 1150 gas carb. I will post the results when I have them.

When we get to the 4150 carbs I have a lot of knowledge there as I worked on mine for my car for 3 years. Starting out with a set of green blocks from QFT and moving into my own blocks, boosters, etc...

Some of the current projects I am working on now are:

750 Holley for my dad
825 Barry Grant RS Race Demon
2 8896-1 1050 Dominators (For my cars this year. Both 2 circuit with QF Green blocks modified a bit)
1 9976 1050 Dominator (Also for my car. Going to do a 3-circuit with the BLP isolated idle blocks)

I have some good tune ups for 4150's as well if you guys are interested just let me know and I will post them up. However I dont want to clutter with 4150 stuff while we are talking dominators.

Again thank you for welcoming me aboard and I look forward to learning to sharing experieinces with you guys.

AJ

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:22 pm 

Welcome to this forum AJ. Sorry I couldn't discuss this forum on the other message board but an glad you can add to the groups shared knowledge!

Super Comp 130C

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

ajcasini wrote:
I have some good tune ups for 4150's as well if you guys are interested just let me know and I will post them up. However I dont want to clutter with 4150 stuff while we are talking dominators.

AJ

AJ, if you want to post some 4150 stuff then have at it. Just start a new thread and I'm sure some in here will be interested in what info you want to give out.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:47 pm 

I will do that. I need to get all of my info together and then I will put together a couple posts.

Board index » Racing Forum » E85 Fuel Systems