Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Under Construction

Post subject: My S-10 project
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:52 pm 

Last edited by HDRACER on Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: My S-10 project
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:21 pm 

Looking good. What engine you gonna run?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:28 pm 

I hope you don't take this as a criticism and perhaps you haven't fully installed everything yet so I apologize if necessary. May I suggest that you alter the attachment of the four link front brackets. It doesnt appear to have enough support, the brackets are attached to tubes that are 'floating'. There is no direct triangulation to the top of the brackets and the main chassis rail is 'divorced' from the brackets. All the 'action' of the car starts at the 4 link brackets and they need to be very securely attached to the chassis in a manner that transmits the loads with minimal bending.
This is what I get people to do, i make them build a model of their chassis out of wire and solder it to make joints. Then you can play with it on a table and bend it and twist it and force it etc and see it move. You can unsolder joints and add new bars easily that way and fix the stress issues without having a computer simulation . Its very easy to do and its suprisingly valuable.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:06 pm 

The front four link brackets are welded to the main frame rail, which you cannot see in the pic. I have put alot of thought into placement of tubes for the rotational force on the suspension. I appreciate the comments because I do make mistakes once in a while. I am planning on using a small block 434 for a while and possibly step up to a big block later.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:05 am 

please post a picture where it shows the bracketry.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 am 

Before you posted a link to a picture on photobucket that showed nearly all the bar work from the rear. Wheres that gone?
Thats the picture i looked at and I couldnt see a good design at the 4 link brackets

Post Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:22 pm 

shrinker...Is this what you wanted to see ? Image

Post Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:16 pm 

Yes thats it. See how the bracket is attached to the bar that bends down from the top. That bar is then attached to all those tubes that are hanging off the side of that large rectangular box section(which appears to be the main rail). And the brace for the top of the bracket is coming in at an angle, there is no direct straight down the car rail that is directly in line with the bracket. If thats the way it is then its not a good thing. You need the bracket connected to a rail thats direct down the car thats also connected directly to the engine plate area. The connection forward to the plate area is a bent connection, the triangle is bent, the sides are not all in the same plane, it will flex a lot and it will require unnecessary weight of tubing to be of strength of a simple straight triangle. And the whole thing is hanging from the side of the rectangle section, the part that will flex is from in front of the forward bar laying flat on the floor and the section between the rectangle and the engine plate attachment at the front which we cant see.

In the other picture thats not there now it showed the design of the rear hoops over the diff. This bar that is coming down from the top and is bent down then the bracket attaches to it is the over diff hoop bar, and its braced by the taxi bar at the back of the roll cage. That point is weak in this design.

You need to show all the necessary pictures.

Board index » Racing Forum » Under Construction