Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Under Construction

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:31 am 

Beautiful rod!!! \:D/   Not to nit pick, but isn't the window net supposed to be mounted within the funny car cage bars?

-Tanner

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:56 am 

Tanner wrote:
Beautiful rod!!! \:D/   Not to nit pick, but isn't the window net supposed to be mounted within the funny car cage bars?

-Tanner

thanks tanner about bringing that up about net..if it is then now is time to change it before i paint cage..
ok;;everyone lets hear it about the net.how is it to be mounted?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:24 am 

I think the X bar to the sholder is to low also :-k

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:01 am 

The Tangerine color makes my zipper quiver. Now that is a color for a race car. I always liked wagons..

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:43 am 

Beretta wrote:

it looks to low in pics but i'm a 1" from max that i'm allowed.if needed i can also slide down in seat and gain another 1" to make tech happy..another thing on X bars that no one has noticed or said anything about is where they cross at..in spec book i couldn't find anything about that because i wanted to off set them as you see in pic[for a differant look and to make a little esay to get in]called nhra tech guy and he said i could offset up to 6"[not in book but if he said he was good with it then thats good for me]

if anything else you guys see that doesn't look right PLEASE let me know so i can check on it.i've got to take car 260 miles[one way]to get it certified. only want to do once.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:55 pm 

looking good hotrod

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:32 pm 

hotrodharley wrote:
Beretta wrote:

if anything else you guys see that doesn't look right PLEASE let me know so i can check on it.i've got to take car 260 miles[one way]to get it certified. only want to do once.

The bar does look a little low but if it falls within NHRA spec it should be ok. The window net looks like it's positioned correctly but I think the front lower mount needs to be attached to the door bar.  That net is supposed to keep your hands and arms inside the protection of the chassis in case of a roll over.  I was told that when a drag car (especially one with 'glass doors) rolls over the 1st thing to happen is the doors fly off.  I wouldn't compromise safety for the sake of making it easier to get in and out of the car.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:22 pm 

chuck;;;can i just bolt a small cable to a tab on bar and then hook on bottom of net frame i built?on the door bar i set in seat and had girlfriend mark the main hoop bar at top of shoulder with sharper and hand hands on steering wheel as if i was driving and she marked on door bar where my elbow was at..i then stayed inbetween these marks.in the spec book the way i read it is bar got to be between shoulder and elbow but not lower then 4" or 6" below shoulder.don't remember exact measurement.i went as low as max below shoulder  that spec book said i could go.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:58 pm 

hotrodharley wrote:
chuck;;;can i just bolt a small cable to a tab on bar and then hook on bottom of net frame i built?on the door bar i set in seat and had girlfriend mark the main hoop bar at top of shoulder with sharper and hand hands on steering wheel as if i was driving and she marked on door bar where my elbow was at..i then stayed inbetween these marks.in the spec book the way i read it is bar got to be between shoulder and elbow but not lower then 4" or 6" below shoulder.don't remember exact measurement.i went as low as max below shoulder  that spec book said i could go.

I've seen a lot of nets tethered with a cable go through tech so that might be ok.

From the 2009 NHRA rulebook page 261-262.
Sidebar must be included on the driver's side and must pass the driver at a point midway between the shoulder and elbow.

It states that the crossbar (side to side of the main hoop) must be installed no lower than 4 inches below, and not above,  the driver's shoulders. That's the only reference to a dimension from the shoulders I can find.
I would think with the funny car cage you should be safe but you might want to check with a tech guy before you finish up.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:22 am 

That cable to the X-bar I don't think is good just get a custom made net and attach it to the lower bar.... I'll get a few pic's of mine tonight and post them. It will be easy to do and when down it's totally out of the way...IMO  =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:54 am 

Beretta wrote:
That cable to the X-bar I don't think is good just get a custom made net and attach it to the lower bar.... I'll get a few pic's of mine tonight and post them. It will be easy to do and when down it's totally out of the way...IMO  =;

that would be great.i'm going out to garge todasy and recheck the side bars also.chuck gave me the specs on them so i can recheck bars.want everything right on car.
thanks

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:51 pm 

i check the back bar going across main hoop and it just made it in specs.i'm 4" below shoulders. the X bars[door bars]passes also .meets hoop half way between shoulder and elbow..i'm borderline but within what nhra wants.now if my tech inspector measures same way then i'm good..
now need to get window net took care of..anything else that you see in my pic you think i need to change or check?pleasse let me know..i want car safe and right. :-$

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:07 pm 

You have an e-mail as It was easier for me to do that than post it here =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:20 pm 

thanks berry..very nice clean job..must redo mine for sure now

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:49 pm 

update on my build/helth not letting me work on car much so did some engine changing.went from 8-71 blower to a 12-71 blower and went from bird catcher to a big&ugly hat.also move mag drive to front of engine.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Racing Forum » Under Construction