Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Under Construction

Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:11 pm 

Well after all this time I have decided to just get the black gel coated body wrapped. I researched the cost of getting it painted the way I want and for a far less amount I can get it wrapped without a drop of paint over the gel coat(SUPPOSEDLY). So I loaded the car up and taking it in the morning to a graphic shop here in Illinois to see what the exact cost will be. They quoted me 1800-2000 for four-five colors. The graphics will something like this, but maybe a few color changes.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:33 am 

car looks awsome, is that a sample of what they can do or is it something that you have come up with

Vynal rapping is starting to take on here for race cars & i have seen some stunning designs

to be honest i dont think i would ever paint a car again with what they can do with Vynal you could never do the same with paint & its around ⅓ of the price

let us know what design you decide on

regards
rod

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:05 am 

This is a sample of what they can do. Don't know who came up with the design. I know they customize.
I did find out that they make two different materials. A cast vinyl and a checker board. Checker board is has a higher strength, but as you get closer to it it looks like little checkers and has a duller finish...kind of like carbon fiber thats unpainted. Cast vinyl costs more and is supposedly smooth as glass, find out today.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:24 pm 

Well the quote was only about 500 off. It is a very complicated car to wrap. And I agree with him because he wanted me to measure it and send the numbers....Naahhh I told him I would just bring it. It took him almost a hour to measure it. He will have to do it in three pieces. Top first then each side. I can see where it is going to be alot of work matching up all the lines in the graphics.  I changed my mind on the graphics and found one with 5 colors and more detail.  In a plumb crazy purple theme.
 The total cost is 2450.00 and will take a week to do. And then he wants to take it and use it for some advertising. Not to keen on that idea.
Doug

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:53 pm 

Tell him you need a sponsor if he wants to use your car to promote his business.

It's a normal deal to give you a price break if he is going to benefit from showing people your car.  I know of a paint shop that painted a show car for just the cost of materials and the car owner displayed a little framed sign at the car shows saying "Painted by Gregs Custom Painting".   You're paying for his services, he should pay for your services!

Donee

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:10 pm 

I agree with Donne

to date i have spent very little painting my car

the Paint was supplied but PPG via a Dealership that i purchase parts from on a very regular basis

the sand paper, fillers, tape, paper ect were supplied from 3M via the same dealership

the guy who painted the Blue & Yellow did supplied his time for free

the shop who did the work & supplied the Oven ect was all free

all i have paid for was the guy who did the Red stripe but the red color & all required materials were all Free

the complete Body work, Paint & all the trimmings including the painting of the Roll cage owe me less that $1000 & most of that would have gone in food & drinks for the guys who worked on the car

goodluck with your project, just remember if you do ask you dont receive but dont be to pushy as it may backfire

it may be worth a gentle hint & see what they say

regards
rod

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:36 am 

IF HE IS GOING TO USE YOUR CAR FOR ADVERTISEMENT THEN HE SHOULD GIVE YOU SOMETHING IN RETURN!!
SORRY BUT THAT IS HOW IT IS SUPPOSE TO WORK [-X  [-X

IS THE GRAPHICS  SHOP FROM THE EFFINGHAM;IL AREA?
THERE WAS A VERY GOOD ONE IN THAT AREA  =;  =;

LIVELY

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:44 am 

Lidy graphics in effigham on rt 45 about a 1 mile south of rural king..Pretty nice guy, and he races.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:53 am 

only issue with wraps is they have slim to no shine when you are 2ft away they look good 50ft away though. The other issue is they do not hold up nearly as well as paint. I think you'd be better off with paint.

http://www.nyesautomotive.net
http://www.diamondracecars.com
Fleenor Racing Glides
"get one before one gets you"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:54 am 

I seen there ad on RJ and called them about doing my trailer but have decided against it because of all the screw's but i have seen a couple of there job's here local looks nice .
I was shocked how good the wrap looks a guy over in ind. had a dodge stratus done very nice.

Board index » Racing Forum » Under Construction