Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Under Construction

Post subject: The new Car!
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:23 pm 

ok guys, as i hinted before i left on my vaction i accquired a new car about a week before christmas. i got a helluva deal on it too, so it was a great christmas here!

i was getting ready to goto the bank on a friday night and this guy i know (i rebuild his transmissions for him) calls me. he goes i got a 70 nova that i want to sell. i'm getting evicted from my house, and i need to move it by the end of the month. so i asked him for details. he said he went to new jersey and got it about 2 yrs ago. he then rolled it into the garage and there it sat. i told him i would be down the next day to check it out. i went back on sunday and bought it!

the car is all tube chassis car and has the nhra sportsman cert. sticker on it. it expired in 04, though. i don't know what it would take to get it re-certified :-k, but the sticker is good to 6.0 1/4 time.

the car has all fiberglass parts on it, including a fiberglass body. it has strange struts on the front (so much for changing the malibu over), wilwood 4 wheel brakes, dual master cyclinders, 2 parachutes, weld wheels, new front runners, 9" ford with strange aluminum center section, strange axles, funny car cage,etc. i got all the fiberglass that goes on it and the switch panel too!

well anyways here's some pictures of some of the parts and the chassis without the body on it.

now all the nova parts are for sale, i want to sell them all together though! pm me if you want more info on it.

i want to make it into a 68 camaro, as i have always wanted one.

whatcha all think?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

I'd say someone has a lot of work to do! =; Looks like you got a good foundation to start with though. =; Hummm, I kinda like them Nova body styles. They are/were pretty popular so I don't think you'll have problems selling that stuff. Finding a Camaro body, now that's another story. O:)

One more thing. Make sure that cage isn't too tall for a Camaro roof line before you go selling all that stuff. If memory serves, the Camaro was a little lower than the Nova's were.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:35 pm 

well i picked it up from the chassis shop today. they said it will cert to 25.5 (highest for a mild steel car) and is good for 1200 hp O:) now if only i could make that much!. also was informed it will be about 2200 w/out driver, so that's three tenths right there. maybe me and Barry will get together and run heads up :-$ 8.60's here i come!

click on the picture for larger image!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:30 am 

That looks real nice Cory. Looks like they did a nice job for you and rather quickly to \:D/ ..Im liking the anti roll bar in there!!! Are you going to get it ready as far as painting the cage etc and then bring it over to your "tin guy" ???????? You need to get that one all painted up real nice \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

....Im thinking 8.50s in some good air O:)

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:28 am 

yep, the plan is to figure out where to mount everything that has not already been located (fuel system, brake lines, etc.). i'm gonna take the body back off (it just unbolts) and have the chassis "corn cob blasted". obviously it's where they use corn cobs as abrasive instead of sand. then i'm gonna paint it up and send it to the "tin man".

i have lots to do, like send the struts in and get them checked out, get the rear shocks re-built, make a set of headers, plumb it, wire it,etc. time to get off the couch and get to work! i'm actually excited about this one, it's the best car i've ever had and i want to make a pass in it!

oh yeah, and of course keep working on the red car (malibu).

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:23 pm 

That's going to make one nice car Corey, the stance is just rite. Should be fast as well.
Greg

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:27 pm 

Corey, you may want to see if your tin man may want to fit the sheetmetal before you paint the chassis. You can't help but scratch the paint up while you're fitting it. When I did the Probe I fitted all the tin and had it fastened in with clecos, then I took it all apart for painting.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:05 pm 

thanks for the compliments guys, i'm really excited about this one. i too like how low it sits, and i have plenty of tire room in the back. we had 16 wide tires on it at the chassis shop and still had clearance. the ones on it now are 14 wide....i've got enough tires around here i should be able to find something to fit it. the ones on it are all dry rotted as it sat outside in the weather before i got it [-(

that's an idea chuck, never thought of that. only down fall is he lives 2 hrs away and gas is 3.00 a gallon O:) crooks! i will still talk to him and see what he thinks about doing that though. i was thinkin of doing some gray aluminum. he said he has never messed with the colored stuff before. i said, nows a good time to learn!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:00 pm 

Cory, Wallnut shells work also on the blasting thing =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:19 pm 

got a header kit here at the house...put in one of my "spare" tall deck blocks and my "spare" set of dart heads so i can get to work on makin some headers. i couldn't resist seeing what it was gonna look like with an intake and carb on it. here's some pics...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:16 pm 
Site Admin

That's gonna be cool. Looks like a big cutback to get the distributer in and out tho. Lookin good.

George

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:27 pm 

Hello Cory
I like your new car. You have got quite a big jump on the project already
It is going to be a wild ride
take care
Tom
did you have to put in a kidney bar?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:48 pm 

henny496 wrote:
Hello Cory
take care
Tom

tom,

thanks for the kind words, i do have a decent start, but there just doesn't seem to enough hours in the day! #-o

yep they put in a kidney bar and everything else it needed to update it. they told me it will certify to 7.50. they put in whatever was needed to update it, and i paid the bill O:)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:28 am 

Buffjhsn wrote:
henny496 wrote:
Hello Cory
take care
Tom

tom,

thanks for the kind words, i do have a decent start, but there just doesn't seem to enough hours in the day! #-o

yep they put in a kidney bar and everything else it needed to update it. they told me it will certify to 7.50. they put in whatever was needed to update it, and i paid the bill O:)

Now here's a guy that has LOTS of $$$$ =; Not one or two but three race cars............You go man!!!!!!!!!!!! \:D/ \:D/

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:17 am 

Beretta wrote:
Buffjhsn wrote:
henny496 wrote:
Hello Cory
take care
Tom

tom,

Now here's a guy that has LOTS of $$$$ =; Not one or two but three race cars............You go man!!!!!!!!!!!! \:D/ \:D/

i dunno about the lots of money part, i'm just the richest hillbilly on the street! =; i finance my cars by working out of the garage, i haven't even been to the track yet due to the overload of working full time and in the garage!

i need to have a shock rebuilt and a grease seal changed on the purple car, plenty of stuff to do yet on the red car, but i am getting closer to the end on that one, and i stripped the rear end outta the nova to see what i need to buy for it yet.

seems like the more money i make, the more i spend...time to put new carpet in the house, there goes a stack of cash, oh yeah and last week i had to buy a new fridge O:)

yep i have 3 cars, but none have been to the track =P~ oh and i don't have a jesel belt drive either, just dump truck motors for me =;

Board index » Racing Forum » Under Construction