Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Under Construction

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:17 am 
Site Admin

There's still a few things left to do to the trailer, one of which is modifying the ramp door to receive this long wheelbase car. That will require some wood work, ie, 2 x 10s screwed to the door in different places to get the center of the car up over the dove tail and even at that I'll still have to disconnect from the truck and raise the front end of the trailer to get the car in and out. Obviously this can't be done until the car is finished as I'll need to be able to drive it in and out to build those ramps.

I've already got the generator plug and cable and it's just 4 self drilling screws to bolt that generator to the trailer tongue so that won't take long to get done.

Still got a leak in the roof too so that's going to require some additional cool seal on the driver side but that won't keep me from towing the car in it if it's not done.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:21 pm 
Site Admin

Engine and transmission are out of the Camaro and sitting on the shop floor. Pit Bitch came over this evening after work and helped pull both. I had been working on it off and on all day and had it almost ready to come out.

Will start removing the electronics stuff tomorrow and by Thursday I'll have that car in the trailer and the dragster over in the "home" spot. Be nice to have some room to work on both sides of it when I need to.

The header flanges I got from Headman via Race Mart won't work as there's not enough material to move the end ports out where they need to be. The Headman flanges are 15.125" Centerline on the outer ports and my heads are 15.5" so there's 3/8" difference and I can't move the holes that much. Sent an Email to Paul Fink at Race Mart yesterday with pictures so hope to hear something back from him with the next day or so. This must be the result of something different that Curtis does as I've not been able to find ANY standard spread port headers that will fit the exhaust port configuration of my heads. All of them are about 3/16 off on each end. :-k

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:13 pm 
Site Admin

Spent most of this past week getting the Camaro ready for a new home (soon I hope). Only thing left to do to it now is wash it and then load it in the trailer until I find it a home.

Haven't done much on the dragster sheetmetal until yesterday evening when I wet sanded the front top piece and started stripping the paint off the second one. Finished getting the paint off that one this evening and started sanding on it but ran out of daylight. I guess I need to start earlier in the evening since it is getting dark sooner. Only got one more piece and that part will finally be finished, thank goodness!

I did manage to mount the MSD 7 Friday and ran the power wires to the battery. I really need to have the car on the other side of the shop now as the rest of the wiring needs to be done on the other side. Hopefully will get that part done soon.

Headers?? Still no word from Headman on the headers?? DAYUMNIT! Talked to Paul @ Race Mart Friday and he said he had a call in to them but no one had called him back??

Engine Oil Leak: Looks like I'm going to have to pull the main seal adapter off and reseal that from the back side. Can't tell exactly where the oil was coming from so I'll just take a stab at that since that RTV was "suspect" to begin with.

Still have a rear gear to change out and also have to convert the tranny to a "shorty".

Looking more like the end of September before I make it to the track.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:02 pm 
Site Admin

Got some good news on the header deal. Jmech pointed me to a site with dimensions and I finally figured out that these Dart Heads have a Stahl spread port exhaust pattern. I wasn't aware there was a difference so I leaned something. Forwarded that info to Race Mart and they in turn forwarded it to Headman and today I got notice that they have shipped me a Stahl flange to see if it matches my heads so if this fits, then I'll have the header problem solved and just have to come up with the money to pay for them.

I got the MSD mounted and connected up and even powered it on to make sure it was correct. It was so that part is basically done. Still got to mount the solenoids for the Pro Stage and the air shifter but that won't take long once I decide where I want to put them.

Meanwhile, I was stripping the last dragster panel yesterday evening and ran out of stripper with about 1.5 sq ft of paint left on it?? So, this AM I went and got another can of stripper and hopefully will finish that up this evening or maybe tomorrow.

Looks like Pit Bitch will have work this weekend as I've got to get the Camaro cleaned up and ready to put in the trailer.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:13 pm 

Quote:
coonass

For this dumb Yankee transplant, just what does the above word mean?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:29 pm 
Site Admin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coonass

=;

Oh, ALL THE PAINT IS OFF THE BODY PANELS! Image And I'm so glad. My damn fingers are sore from rubbing on that crap. [-(

Mounted the accumulator tonight too. Will mount the CO2 bottle tomorrow then figure out where I want those solenoids.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:25 pm 
Site Admin

Well, all of the "necessary" electrical stuff on the dragster is done. Only thing left is the data logger and right now, since I was having so many problems with it before I'm not going to put it on now. Last runs showed that the tuneup was pretty good so I'm just going to finish out the year without it. ;-)

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:12 pm 
Site Admin

Bad news on the headers. =P~ [-( Headman sent me another pair of flanges that turned out to be the same as the ones they sent the first time only with oval ports instead of round ones and they don't fit in the same places that they didn't fit before? ](*,) I took more pictures today and sent them to Paul at Race Mart. Maybe someone at Headman will finally understand that these heads have STAHL exhaust ports, not Brodix like the last two flanges they sent me.

On another note, I pulled the pan off the engine this evening and there's no way to pull that rear seal adapter off with the crank still in the block. So.....It ges a new rear seal and another pan gasket and goes back like it is. Hopefully one of those 3 threaded plugs that I resealed was the problem.

Pit Bitch is coming over tomorrow to clean up the Camaro and hopefully we can get that into the trailer and out of my way when he's done. Meanwhile I'll be working on getting the pan back on the engine and maybe start on the tranny conversion. Right now there's about a weeks worth of work left so it will take me about 3 weeks to complete it. Yeah, I'm getting slower in my old age.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:33 am 

Ken, Don't for get to take some pictures of the Camaro before you stuff it in the trailer.... =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:12 am 

Ken,
You might try this site http://www.schoenfeldheaders.com/sbflanges.htm to sort out what flanges you have. It has all the measurements for each flange type, even the 18º variations you probably have.

Rick

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:54 am 
Site Admin

rick360 wrote:
Ken,
You might try this site http://www.schoenfeldheaders.com/sbflanges.htm to sort out what flanges you have. It has all the measurements for each flange type, even the 18º variations you probably have.

Rick

Ya know Rick, jbaker PMed me that link last week. I took my current door car headers, printed out that spread port #0145 Stahl drawing and it was an exact match with the header flanges I made when these door car headers were built 4+ years ago. Obviously Headman didn't get that message or that link that I sent Paul? Here is what matches those door car header flanges I made and used for 4+ years.

http://www.schoenfeldheaders.com/0145DIM.htm

So right now I've got round trip FedEx on two sets of flanges that won't work, which is around $50 pissed down the drain and the only thing I know is that they don't fit. But let me back up a bit and take credit for the first hork up as to be honest, I really didn't know what these heads were as I made my flanges from measurements I took directly off the heads. I was aware that there was such a thing as "spreadport" and I also had heard about both Stahl and Brodix but had no idea they were "different"? Ennywho, the first set was probably my fault. The second set, not so much especially since they had the Sohenfield link listed above with my confirmation that that is what I actually have.

I guess I'll find out something this week. Mean time all the engine stuff is done and today I'm starting on the Tranny conversion. Pit Bitch didn't come yesterday because of the hurricane but maybe tomorrow after work? Once the Camaro is out of the shop, then the rear end comes out of the dragster so I can setup that 4:56 I got from Intocars. I can see that within a week/10 days I'm going to be waiting on headers??? [-(

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:11 pm 
Site Admin

TRANSMISSION CONVERSION TO "SHORTY" IS DONE!!! \:D/ Image =; =D>

Finished that about a half hour ago. Now if I only had the header deal done? :-k

So that leaves the rear end and all the stuff that has to be done after the engine and trans are in the car.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:45 pm 
Site Admin

Pit Bitch came over this afternoon and cleaned up the Camaro for me then we put it in the trailer until its sold. \:D/ Moved the dragster over into the #1 spot and will probably start pulling the rear end out of that tomorrow after I clean up my shop. =D>

Now, if I only had a set of headers on the way? #-o

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:54 pm 
Site Admin

This what the shop looks like now. I'll finally be able to get my Dodge back inside now.

Here are some pics of the transmission before and after:

And here's a shot of the car up on jack stands. I've got to pull the rear out and change the gear.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:48 pm 
Site Admin

Well, looks like my dragster's 4:11 gear is actually a 4:30? Was pretty easy to get it out though so I'm going to go ahead and put the 4:56 in it anyway as I don't think the 4:30 is low enough either.

And BTW, have any of you ever had any dealings with one of these housings? It's a Mark Williams piece and I checked on their site and boy are these things pricey! This one is $4700 hat to hat on their website.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

Board index » Racing Forum » Under Construction