Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Under Construction

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

OK, here ya go!

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:26 pm 
Site Admin

Well, after contacting TWO painters/body men I just decided to strip the damn thing myself, AND, it will get raced with NO paint!! Fuskit, paint costs too much and won't make it any quicker or more consistent and aluminum won't rust! Right now I've been through 6 15oz cans of spray on stripper and I've got 9 out of 17 panels done. Probably have less than $100 in materials when that part is finished.

Still need to get a body shop guy to do the nose piece and scoop but push come shove I can run them like they are.

Looks like we might be able to get in that final test with the Camaro at Roxboro, Nc next Wednesday night if the rain doesn't cancel that one. Temps next week are "suppose" to be a little lower by mid week.

Did I mention that I hate doing body work? DAYUMN, I hate doing body work!!!!! :-({|=

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:57 am 

Pictures??????????? =P~

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:35 am 
Site Admin

Having to do the paint stripping outside and since it's spray on, I have to wait for calm winds to keep the stuff off me! Didn't take long to figure that one out as I did have some of that stuff blow back on my arm and it burned pretty good!!! Even before I could get the water hose on it!!!

I've been doing one or two panels a day late in the evening and I picked a location way away from the house so that what little bit if crap that hits the ground won't be that noticable, especially on the gravel. So far so good as the stuff does come off OK if you take your time with it. Two saw horses and a large trash can seem to work pretty good.

Still gonna have some hand work though as each panel will have to be sanded by hand to finish removing that etching primer. Maybe Pit Bitch will help with that part.

Did I mention that I HATE DOING BODY WORK???? DAYUMN, I HATE DOING BODY WORK!!!!! [-(

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:20 pm 
Site Admin

So seeing as it's another hot one today, I went ahead and got the line and fittings to mount the line lock solenoid. That's another piece of the puzzle in place! \:D/

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:30 pm 
Site Admin

Beretta wrote:
Pictures??????????? =P~

Here ya go Barry. The panels that are shiny have been stripped and wet sanded with 220 grit and the dull grayish looking ones have just been stripped and not sanded yet. That etching primer is hard to get off. I think it's "coonass" primer instead of etching primer. Ennywho, I've got6 more pieces to strip plus 4 more that need to be sanded with that 220 g paper.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

Well, I started messing with the wiring on this thing a little more and it's another nightmare. Well, let me say in Lenard's defense that it's not the way I want it, which is normal I guess. So for the last couple of days while the weather has been too damn hot to work on stripping body panels, I've been basically been rewiring the whole car to suite me. Not saying that Lenard was wrong mind you, Just that he and I do different kinds of racing and the wiring in this car was done over 10 years ago.

Here's a pic of the chaos that I'm involved in now!

* Note that I have no work room!! [-(

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:15 pm 

Hey Ken what is going to weigh when done? How long was it again?

6.07@110 on Alcohol Injection with a 4-link 4-6-12
Best 60' 1.2537 Alcohol Injection 4-29-11
Thru the Mufflers!!

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:32 pm 
Site Admin

The wheelbase is 225" and I got no clue what it will weigh. If I had to guess I'd say somewhere around 1600/1800 lbs wet.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:22 am 

IT should run some 4.80's I would think.. Better be ready for that finish line to come a bit quicker..
I know you been low 5's before so been there done that but it should really make it a consistant piece.

6.07@110 on Alcohol Injection with a 4-link 4-6-12
Best 60' 1.2537 Alcohol Injection 4-29-11
Thru the Mufflers!!

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:40 pm 
Site Admin

Well, been running new wiring so this afternoon I got brave and put a battery in the car to see what worked and what went up in smoke. No smoke at this point so I guess all is well.

Got all the side panels finished and stripped the paint off the first of 3 top pieces and boy was it a biatch! That thing has got coonass paint on it and the damn stuff just doesn't want to come off. Only good thing about it all is that I can see the end of this part some time next week.

Waynesboro, Va to Eastside Speedway to race tomorrow night. Wish me luck trying to sell this Camaro as that's my only reason for going.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:29 pm 
Site Admin

Since both sides are done and the wiring is done on the left side, I decided to pin the sheet metal on it to see how it looks. Gonna have to go over it with steel wool to try to make them match but all in all it don't look too shabby. Image

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:56 am 

How long of the list you have left?? Thinking you have put a fairly good dent in it and
you may be able to get out still this year if you sell the camaro???

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:30 am 
Site Admin

Yeah Barry I've put a dent in it for sure and the wiring on the right side isn't going to be that much of a problem as I'll use most of what's there. Just need to neaten it up is all. The ignition stuff will follow the right side wiring stuff.

I ordered the header flanges from Race Mart down in Fla this past week and once I get those fitted to my heads they will be sent to Headman for the build. Once the Camaro is out of the shop then I'll really get down to the mechanical work starting with changing out the ring and pinion, converting the tranny to a shorty, then I need to fix my engine oil leak, setting the engine in it and drilling the front mount after the coupler is aligned.

I do expect to get some runs on it starting some time late in September. Probably could do it sooner if I spent more time on it. Just gotten lazy in my old age though especially in this heat.

Looking back I'd say that stripping the paint off it has been a nightmare and I probably won't ever do THAT again!

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:35 am 

Did pit bitch get the trailer all done and ready to go??

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Board index » Racing Forum » Under Construction