Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Under Construction

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:57 pm 

I went to Skinny Kids shop and I tell ya, when you walk into a really good chassis shop, it shows, and he showed me some cool stuff too! He gave me some new Y tubing, two new tube adjusters and said go make it right, not to mention he gave me a new center shaft that had a wayyyyyy tighter tolerence so now the back of the elky will NOT move so much side to side. My chassis guy has it built and ready to go on and I am anxious to see the difference, and, the tube location will be much close to the front of the center tube and with tube supports as well. I was happy that Keith from Skinny Kids helped out with my wishbone deal as they were just talking about the material and internal clearance that the older shafts had, guess he wanted to cover his a$$ huh? =; which he did with out blinking an eye.

I can't wait till this backhalf is done, as I read the section about 4 link suspension's on RJ again written by Ed Wilson, and the light above my head when on brightly! It finally sank in to my brain on how all this stuff works together from his info in gathering your C/G of any chassis, and now I can't wait to map it out on a 1-1 scalel on some paper on the wall in my garage and get all the possible I/C's available to make my chassis work the best for what I want it to do.

More info will come as it becomes available, pics too! \:D/

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Last edited by Elkyman on Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:10 pm 
Site Admin

FYI, some ppl on here have an Excel program setup for figuring IC and I also think Billy Shope has one on his site. I've got a program called 4 Link Calculator that I use on mine that works well but it's not a freebie.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:34 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
FYI, some ppl on here have an Excel program setup for figuring IC and I also think Billy Shope has one on his site. I've got a program called 4 Link Calculator that I use on mine that works well but it's not a freebie.

Ken, I am kind of like you with the I/C program stuff, I'm too cheap to buy it when MAN was finding I/C's the old fashioned way, and I will do it this way to get a feel for the whole deal, and as always, when I map it out I can always draw more lines that intersect to find them, again the old fashioned way.

I figure, if I can balance my chassis front to rear on a set of jack stands with angle iron with the corner point facing up on each stand, and take a while to find my balance point, I just mark it on a piece of tape somewhere on the body vertically, then measure from front spindle C/L to that point, and then measure the rear axle C/L to that point again, and divide them by the wheel base, I should get the ratio's of the balance front to rear, then, I will measure from the ground up to the front of the cam bolt center on my belt drive and once I get THAT number, I cross the chassis balance point line with a horizontal taped line and have my heigth of C/G of my chassis. The next step is to take all these measurements and put them on some tall and long paper stapeled to the garage wall in a 1:1 scale, and then draw my nuetral line from the spindle C/L at the heigth of the cam C/L, down to the rear tire contact patch, or rear axle C/L, then when I start plotting it all out, numbering and lettering all the 4 link bracket holes, and I will have bunches and bunches to choose from and this will make a great little cheat sheet to bring to the track with me for adjustments to where I want the chassis to be at for my liking!!!!

Obviously this will be done with all the race weighted stuff in the chassis, ie fuel, both batteries, and weight in the seat to simulate my weight. I just need to go thru it this way and get a better feel for it, call me old school if you wish, but I will get what I want one way or the other. The pinion angle will be set as well as the ride heigth and the correct rear springs too.

I thought about buying a program, but once I get all this down, it only cost me some time, and that I got plenty of =; =; =;
Thanks for your info also Ken.

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:41 am 

Hey guys, finally some updates and pics will come later this weekend coming up as I get to go work on it again \:D/
So far, my chassis guy has gotten the wishbone welded up and in the chassis, he has the front rear frame tied into the main hoop thru the bed header, he has my new overhead bar in for the parachute handle and he has a trans tunnel in place and needs to finish welding that in. He still needs to install the rear driveshaft loop, and the antiroll sway bar kit too :- but he keeps thinking about how he is going to mount it, I said, mount it in front of the axle and make it go backwards like due to lack of room, it will work either way. He also needs to install the parachute frame kit underneath the backend of the chassis and we plan on running the pack holding bar out the license plate hole and it goes up from there. He will be starting the tubbs also this week and getting them fitted.

I myself am going to install the fuel system in the back to see where we need to be on the chute frame kit and so on, then replumb the nitrous plate and fuel system up front, so, I will add more updates after this weekend. Good luck everyone who get's to race now. \:D/

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:02 am 

Updated pics 4-25-2010

Sorry about the brake line in the picture of the wishbone pic [-( I forgot to move it and I was pooped out by then =P~
Enjoy

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk21 ... -10013.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk21 ... -10015.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk21 ... -10016.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk21 ... -10009.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk21 ... -10010.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk21 ... -10002.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk21 ... -10006.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk21 ... -10007.jpg

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:07 am 

It's getting there John. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ The top side looks like a spagetti factory =; with all those hoses. When we come up to Milan We can check it out if you don't have it at the track. ;-)

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:53 am 

I am hopeing to make the show somehow, so you will see it either way. I can't wait to race again, just got my seat belts from RJS from a recert, and now I need the coat & pants and one more battery and a parachute to make it all legal, ohh, and a chassis cert also needs to be done to it too :- man, this stuff never ends!!!!! ](*,)

Once it is done this time around, it is done for a while, I want to race it, getting tired of getting drunk just looking at it in pictures and in person with soo much work left to be done, but it should be real close by this weekend. My sister is coming from MD and we are going North in Michigan to my parents house to have a little surprise for my parents by not telling them she is coming in, and, it will be the first time, my family as been together in 35 years O:) yep, we moved from MD in 1975 to Mi. and we all haven't been together since, so it should get dicey and full of painfull ribs from laughing and being together.

Well, more garage cleaning, sorting of junk is needed here before the Elky gets home so I am off to doing that again.
Say hi to Sue & Jake for us and keep up the good racing, sure wish I could make BG, but, I am trying to figure out a way to make the June Hot Rod Reunion and F/C event coming up, we shall see how the money goes at that point. Be cool.

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:52 am 

Thanks John. Enjoy your time together with the family.

Post Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:21 am 

WR169 wrote:
Thanks John. Enjoy your time together with the family.

Thanks Steve, I had a great weekend and so did everybody else, it has been 35 years since MY family has been together O:) and it was just time to make it happen. We will do it again later, but we are all glad we had the chance NOW and not wait until later.

I should have some more pics maybe this next week coming up, I am going to ask my chassis guy if I can work in the gargae while he does HIS family stuff on Mother's Day, I already did that this weekend with my Mom, so now it's back to da race car \:D/ I hope he let's me do some work while he goes out and visits family, I really need the time to get my end of things going.

We shall see.
Until then ;-)

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:42 am 

More pics here 5-15-2010

Got the parachute lever bar welded in and the lever installed, and out the back window area.
Here is the chute mount and cord attachment also.
New Afco springs are on the shock now.

Houston, we have a problem!!!! well since I had cut up to 2 full coils out of my Moroso Trick front springs, the pass. side decided to go laime on me and it sagged down a ton, so now the chassis is not even close to being level in the front end. I am getting the springs rate checked this wek to see how much of a differenct they have in them now, but I think I am just going to bite the bullet and buy a set of Santhuff springs made to fit my front weight and all, they seem to have there crap together and I have read much about the racers that use there parts and all are very happy and glad they switched.

I will call Santhuff on Fri. and order the springs and get back to working on the elky over the weekend and kick my chassis guy in the butt to get him going again. I just need the antiroll bar kit in and, the rear driveshaft loop welded in and then the tin and his part should be almost done, well except for the small stuff obviously :- But all in all it is starting to come to a finish.

I put my new circuit board and panel of electronics in the car again, along with the nitrous bottle and it's control panel and hooked up all the newely made Nitrous lines to check for fitment and all is good with that. Still need to plumb the fuel line to the back, and install the cell and pump and all the lines, then run the wiring back to that. I still need to install both batteries and hook them up to the kill switch also. I will start to wire the car this weekend coming up and get the fuel cell & pump in also.

Lot's to do and I will keep posting the new pics as I take them, hopefully one day it will all be done.

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:46 am 

thats sure looking good, that will be one fun ride \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

http://www.s10dragracer.com/

Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:33 am 

Looking good John............If you can swing it get the light weight suit from Sparco..You will thank me when your A$$ is sittingin your car when it's 90* in the staging lanes and someone just puked his motor on the track O:) O:)

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:07 pm 

I'm beginning to wonder if your frame guy is waiting for the next SFI changes for your cage ;-) JK =;

Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:47 pm 

WR169 wrote:
I'm beginning to wonder if your frame guy is waiting for the next SFI changes for your cage ;-) JK =;

Yeah,, me too Steve, the guy is slow and get's off track real fast, and he gets like 5-10 cars & trucks that pull into his garage all the time, an old roundy rounder from early years, but he knows his stuff and does pretty good work, although you can't tell from the scortched head liner when he welded in a back bar going into the bed on the pass side =P~ some days we racers pay for hell you know??? ](*,) I had mice living in my head liner a few years back and I am sure when I fired up the new big block for the first time, they went a runnin home to some other den =; scardey cats.... I figured I'd just leave it in there then replace it now.

Well, we have issue's again, the front Moroso springs have gone bad, well, the pass side anyway, so instead of having them rate checked by a local guy, I just ordered some SANTHUFF springs today so they will be here Fri so I can put them on the chassis on Sat, and if the car still sits uneven, then the front of the chassis has been tweeked and we can fix that too, just one more item on the list I guess, but I am hoping this cures the front end sag on the pass side with the springs. Boy, do these springs cost a bunch!!! O:) $190. for the good stuff, but they should work great for my chassis as it looks like I just need to get all the good stuff to make it run right from now on.

I will have some more pics later on this weekend again, and the load of tin is in, and the antiroll bar is going in as we speak, if not, I'm kickin some a$$ when I get there =; I only have a few more things to have done then I can have at it.

Oh, and send funds guys as I am running out of that too =P~ JK.
Thanks guys also, it is coming along slowly but surely.

Barry, I will look into the Sparco suits also, but the way it looks now, I may not be able to race it until Sept. or Oct. and then the season is over, I need a 40 hour a week job to support this habit for sure.

Back with more pics guys \:D/

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:07 am 

Well, I am really dissapointed in the way things are going now. When I went to work on the car last weekend, they welded in the upper over head chute cable bar, and we ran the cable out the back window and down the frame, and that was about it for the guys working on my chassis, boy was I pissed ](*,) they did a little work and then took off to go get food, then a gazillion more people stopped buy and off track he got again!!! ](*,)

When we put the chassis on the ground we discovered a very bad thing with the chassis, and, the Moroso front trick springs I had on the car. Since I had to take the springs out to install the new shocks due to the larger Body on the QA1 shocks, I figured I would cut another half of a coil out of each spring to get it a little lower, and when I got the front end all buttoned up we sat it down and "CRAP" the passenger front sits a bout 3-4 inches lower than the driver side O:) so I thought the springs had different rates since I cut some more off of them, so I jacked the front end up and pulled the springs leaving the shocks hanging and left it at that, all I had to do was put another set of springs on there and see if it leveled out, but nooooooooooooooooooooooooo, I get back up there after 6 days to put the new Santhuff springs on it and they had the car all put back together and sitting on some blocks to show me how they wanted the ride heigth to be, well, need I say how really pissed off I was at that S**t, so they go into town, AGAIN, to go to the bank and I raised it all back up again, pulled all ten lug nuts off, (AGAIN), and installed the new springs and sat it back down on the ground and got even more pissed as NOW, I think the chassis is bent in the front section!!! Great, a frickin bent up race car with $4000. worth of work on it and he didn't even check to make sure the front end wasn't flexing when he put it on his jig!.

So, again, we got to thinking about this and we decided to get the wheel base figured out and set some pinion angle in it to get the rear tires to clear the fender leading edges a little more as the pass side was now hitting, and were the 4 link bars ever bound up!, and that I hope is what was causing the front end to slope down on the pass. side and since this suspension is much more sensitive now, I am praying that the frame is not bent in the front.

One thing we did was to push down on the left rear of the chassis and it braught the right front right up but that doesn't seem right to me, but the diagonal weights must be off a bunch to cause this if not a bent frame, I am just lost and so upset over this now that I don't know what to do. He has MY car in HIS garage and if I go shootin my mouth off about this he has possesion rights, so I need to tread lightly in this situation.

Sorry to rant and rave this time out, but something is WRONG with my chassis and he needs to make it right, so as of right now, there goes my season of racing since it will probably take him all summer and fall, to get back to working on this again.

I will let you all know how it turns out when I go get the car the weekend after Labor day since I am tired of it not getting worked on.

The Saga continues. =P~

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » Racing Forum » Under Construction