Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Under Construction

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:50 am 

UPDATE...

Looks like my chassis guy got off his a$$ a little bit and he got the shock mount welded in on top and the brackets on the rear axle on, and a lot more welding is needed from underneath, but since we got it off the jig, he can fit under the chassis now(fat a$$)!!! :- He also got the wishbone made and installed, and I hung the shocks with a set up mochup springs for now to support the body. The new 14 x 32's fit perfectly =D> \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ and I was just dredding having to do body cutting to make a set of tires fit this chassis, but the new M/T Stiff sidewalls fit just perfect, so one less headache for me. The stance will look bitchin to say the least and I can't wait to weight it and see where everything is as weight wise.

I got the front Moroso Trick front springs out(what a frickin pain in the a$$ these springs are(2nd time around for me with these type of springs) and I cut 1/2 a coil out of them to drop the front end down as they were just not setteling down like they should, and I had to do this back in 2003 when I had a set identical to them, just cut 1/2 a coil and BINGO, perfect ride heigth =; Now, I need to order the new TRZ tubular front A-arms, then pull them frickin springs back out, put the new a-arms in, install my new Aerospace front billet brake kits, (complements of Ron Owens)(Thankyou Ron) =D> , and hook it all back up and see how it sits once back on the ground, then off to the aligement shop again next year. The new A-arms even come with new adj. upper travel limiters so how cool is that??? With both the front brake kits, and, the new A-arms I should loose around 60lbs off the front end NOW!!!! which will be good, then I will cut the crash bars out of the doors and take the window mechanisms out and add Lexan windows and use straps to lift and lower the windows like the old SS/AA 68' lightweight Hemi Dart's used to have when they came out of the Hurst shop here in Detroit back in the day, so that should take a few more lbs off the chassis too.

I just about have the drive shaft tunnel all cut out and ready for the new tin to go in it's place and then my chassis guy has to weld in the chute frame kit, the anti roll sway bar kit, and so on. So, it is coming along slowly but surely. Here is some new pics of it now and I am hoping to go work on it some more this week coming up. Enjoy the pics.

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

R.i.p. Doug Cunningham, gone, not forgotten.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:20 am 

Thanks for the update John. It looks great. Will those tires grow much on the big end? It will be bad a$$ when you get it done. I hope you bring it to BG this year. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

6.7772 @ 101.51 1/8th 10.747 @ 122.24 1/4

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:30 pm 

WR169 wrote:
Thanks for the update John. It looks great. Will those tires grow much on the big end? It will be bad a$$ when you get it done. I hope you bring it to BG this year. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

No problem Steve, I just wish my chassis guy was a little more productive some days :- and thanks for the comments, and I am sure you meant next year at BG right? ;-) got ya covered buddy =;
There is so much to do, and I have been doing some wiring on my new panel with all the elect. components and trying to get a little bit done with this, and when I put it into the chassis again, I will only have to run a few new wires and tie it all up, or down....I got new fuel line and now I need some new 2ot battery cable(red) to run to the firewall and so on, lots to do. My new QFT carb should show up sometime next week or the next so I will see if it picks up with just a carb first, then readj. for spray later. It needs to go straight first so that is the big priority for next year before it goes out of state anywhere.

My tire guy said that the inner section of the tire will grow, but not so much on the edges, so looks like the tires will work, but the first pass will tell all right?

How is Jake doing with the new house, all good? Any plans for the wagon for next year??? SAY hi to Sue for us also.

More later heading off for a Dentist appt. now.

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:38 pm 
Site Admin

FYI, the 33.5x17x15 Hoosiers that were on the Camaro would "kiss" the front of the driver side wheel well opening up top end @ 126+. Static there was a little over half an inch clearance there.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:03 pm 

That's funny I had a dentist appt today also. Yeah, last year racing is done that means it is this year already :- [-X :-k

Jake is getting settled on Jake's time. (Slow) I give a little advice and technical assistance when asked. Sue says hi. The wagon is not getting anything done to it. except tires, oil and plugs. Maybe a dist cap and rotor and check the valve lash. \:D/ \:D/

You may want to roll the inside lip of the fender a little ;-)

We found out in Memphis that when we put the disk brakes on it pushed the wheel out a little. The rotor is thicker than the Drum. Anywho good thing we kept the airbags in. We put about 15 lbs in each side and it got the fender clearance we needed. Good thing the track hooked. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:32 am 

Ken0069 wrote:
FYI, the 33.5x17x15 Hoosiers that were on the Camaro would "kiss" the front of the driver side wheel well opening up top end @ 126+. Static there was a little over half an inch clearance there.

Thanks Ken for the info, I will definetly be keeping an eye open for this, seems this has been an ongoing thing for me and my tire selections and hopefully I have it figured out this time. Thanks again. =D>

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:38 am 

WR169 wrote:
That's funny I had a dentist appt today also. Yeah, last year racing is done that means it is this year already :- [-X :-k

Jake is getting settled on Jake's time. (Slow) I give a little advice and technical assistance when asked. Sue says hi. The wagon is not getting anything done to it. except tires, oil and plugs. Maybe a dist cap and rotor and check the valve lash. \:D/ \:D/

You may want to roll the inside lip of the fender a little ;-)

We found out in Memphis that when we put the disk brakes on it pushed the wheel out a little. The rotor is thicker than the Drum. Anywho good thing we kept the airbags in. We put about 15 lbs in each side and it got the fender clearance we needed. Good thing the track hooked. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Yep, all good in the tooth department on my end, how did your's go?

It will take time with Jake getting setteled in I'm sure...

I may just do that with the fender lip to be on the safe side of things and will be keeping close tabs on both items, tanks for the info. \:D/

That was one thing I liked about using air bags is the tire cleanance adjustability part of it, and as long as you kept within your range of air needed, you were all set.

Hope you all had a good x-mas and Happy New Year to you all =;

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:41 am 

John, Just a fyI when they redid the wish bone on my Vega it was like yours and was told there was alot of flex in it the way it was built...The tubes that come from the 4 link brackets should go to the end of the center tube and there should be gussets at the end of the center tube to the 4 link tubes and the sliding center tube should extend all the way through the center tube...Clear as mud right ;-)

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:20 pm 

Beretta wrote:

John, Just a fyI when they redid the wish bone on my Vega it was like yours and was told there was alot of flex in it the way it was built...The tubes that come from the 4 link brackets should go to the end of the center tube and there should be gussets at the end of the center tube to the 4 link tubes and the sliding center tube should extend all the way through the center tube...Clear as mud right ;-)

Barry,
Thanks for this info, my chassis guy and I both know the center tube, needs to be cut farther forward from the rear of the tube so I will have access to the grease zerk also, and I can see that the gussets would help out for support as well. I will tell him, or, do it myself to make sure it gets done right. At the moment, it does have some slight side to side movement and I would assume that the interferience fit is a little excessive for my, and my chassis builder's liking so another solid center piece may be in order, so this is going to be added to the list. I appreciate your information also Barry, thanks a bunch man \:D/ How's the 540 coming along??? Which size and brand heads are you going to run with?

Happy New Year to you and your Family also Barry.

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:39 pm 

I was talking to him about that today and said to get the weld point as close to the center sheave as possible. This will support it better and keep the "back and forth movement" to a minimum...Before the one in the Vega was replaced it moved a good 3/8 and that was with all new heims.. After the new one 1/8 =; ...... that center pivot will only move less than a 1/2 inch...

The motor is coming along good. Mike got me the heads and manifold in 3 weeks all ported and machined for Jesel pro rockers and a valve job..Just got my new headers from the Fab shop last week so we are getting there...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:14 pm 

Looking good Barry.

John teeth are all good. I was getting a sinus infection that morning and it kicked my butt until today. I feel much better now.

Both of you have a good and safe New Year. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Post Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:44 pm 

Thanks Steve if I forgot to say that 22 days ago =;

Well, looks like the wishbone setup in my chassis will be going to change direction, literially! After an initial setup, my chassis guy and myself have noticed wayyy too much side to side movement within the shaft and center tube, so, I took the wishbone back to the guy who I baught it from (Skinny Kids Race Cars) here in Mi. and we had a nice chat, plus I got to go into his shop and OMGOSH, does he have some super fast cars being built, top notch state of the art real go fast cars with new ideas and boy I was like a kid in a candy store, but more like a church mouse with my mouth closed and my ears wide open!!! Some awesome chassis's he is doing right now, and sorry, no info on who's there were =P~ but someone who has money still I am sure...

So, my wishbone will be flipped 180 degrees, and another kit made and welded a little differently and when it is done and back into the chassis I will add more pics of it... and the parts were free too \:D/ that helped a lot right there, 4ft. of chrome moly tube, two new tube adjusters, a new center shaft and BAM, back in buziness. More info as it comes in.

John

Motor City Muscle
Induction-Solutions
Fuelab Fuel System
D & S Engines
My Wife & Family

Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:39 am 

Your pickemup is looking very very sweet Congrats!! MY buddie just backhalfed his 70 elky and is putting a 2000+Hp (yes 2000Hp) twin turbo 575 BBC in it

2008 P.S.C.A B1 Champ

2010 WCHRA SPM Champ

Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:13 am 

John that is good you found the problem with the Y now. I have heard skinny Kid was a good shop. I bet you were like a kid in a candy store too. \:D/ \:D/

Jerry make sure you post some vids of your friends pickemup when he gets it on the track. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:36 am 

WR169 wrote:
John that is good you found the problem with the Y now. I have heard skinny Kid was a good shop. I bet you were like a kid in a candy store too. \:D/ \:D/

Jerry make sure you post some vids of your friends pickemup when he gets it on the track. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

You got it, It will be a while though.. It is also street legal

2008 P.S.C.A B1 Champ

2010 WCHRA SPM Champ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » Racing Forum » Under Construction