Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Under Construction

Post subject: Lead body filler?
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:44 am 

Do any of you know how to do it well? I am wondering how to keep the bubbles out.

Thanks.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:44 am 

are you actually using lead to fill ?

ecbrc super stock 315 4bbl 2007 champs. high point boat overall 2007.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:05 pm 

Only at the top of the a-piller where it transitions into the roof. Like the factory had.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:12 pm 

ok, they use a hot knife and torch to do that. in todays age lead is no longer used. i used kitty hair when i did mine and fllowed up with body filler to make the transition.
the lead fumes are not good for you.
tony.

ecbrc super stock 315 4bbl 2007 champs. high point boat overall 2007.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:33 pm 

I do use a respirator, I hope that helps. I was starting to think led was a waste of time.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:48 pm 

LOL I do know how to do it well. one of the first things you will learn is that any lead man has a permanent scar on the back of his right hand between where the thumb starts and the index finger starts. First step is to grind area clean. Second step is to tin complete area with tinning compound, (mix of solder and acid). Heat area evenly and just barely enough to melt compound, then brush it around completely tinning all the area you wish to lead. This will turn it all shiny. Third step is lube paddle, heat bottom with torch using a carborizing flame, ( this is a flame accet. rich, just a bit cooler than one you would weld with, a long blue feather at the tip). Run paddle threw bees wax covered sponge to stop sticking. Next step is moving torch from area to fill and lead stick back and forth heating both till stick starts to get limp. When stick looks like it will melt push it directly into area to fill. Keep tined area shinny and try to put several gobs so there is enough to fill all the time waving torch back to other globs and keeping total area warm but not so hot lead runs away. Then with paddle start in center using it like a trowel spreading to outer edges, all the while waving torch to heat area then spreading intermittently. This is like rubbing your belly and patting your head. If paddle sticks at all re apply bees wax. As long as you keep it at right temp, you can work it as long as you want. If you let it cool your done, no matter what it looks like. if you over heat you can expand base metal to a point you will never get it straight. Keeping the whole thing warm till your done is where your holes come from. Keep it all just below the shinny melting point is the key and gives you the scar on the paddle hand. You do both at once. The first step after leading is metal prep solvent. This gets rid of bees wax and tinning acid. For beginners put a clean piece of paper down to catch drips. lead is expensive. You can remelt into a bar. A 60/40 blend is recommended for beginners. It has a wider heat range for working it. The 80/20 works but has to be warmer and it falls on the floor faster.

Now the truth. I learned to lead because the first body shop I worked in only allowed straightening and a little bit of lead, no filler. What is real is if you straighten before applying filler it is every bit as good or better than lead, and you don't have to have your blood test for lead poisoning every 6 months. But real straightening of metal and leading have just been regulated to a circus side show now days. If you ever get a chance to see one of the old time body men that can straighten a panel with out filler it amazes most guys. Some of it still has a place in body work and can be faster than waiting for filler to set up at times. I used to bet the kids that apprenticed that I could straighten something with out filler for soft drinks, they got smart way too quick. It just takes practice.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:46 pm 

Thanks Dennis. That was how we did it. My neighbor has some experience doing it, but i didn't know if there was something else.

Board index » Racing Forum » Under Construction