Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Under Construction

Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:54 am 

About time I put an update about something on here...

I was entered for a meeting this weekend which would have meant a late night thursday to finish the car (couple of last minute problems) but as it has rained here for a week and is forecast to be a wet weekend I've pulled the entry.

Updates,

Engine stripped and rebuilt with new valve guides, cam timing reset, new flex plate and renewed just about every nut bolt and washer in it.... I hate odd bolts.. bellhousing dowels have been pinned into the block.

Transmission only had 50 runs since it had a major, so it was cleaned, low band adjusted and fluid drained and checked, it;s clean as a whistle. cooler for the trans has been moved in to the water rad fan shroud (new fan shroud made as the other one was dented and bent.

Axle has had shafts out and checked, I didnt bother putting the extra (UK) gallon of oil in it as it does not need it...

rear suspension has been stripped, cleaned, worn bushes, joints and clevis's replaced and reset.

rear brakes have been stripped, cleaned and generally sorted out, bleed nipples were siezed solid, a new master cylinder has been obtained and will go on this weekend replaced the 7/8 with a 1 inch unit, the car always had a long pedal (GM single piston calipers with big pistons)

the electrical system has been looked at and mostly thrown away, rewired most of the car.

Body has been repaired in a couple of places where it was cracked, the mounting tube across the back has been cut out and replaced to level the rear of the turtle deck, it was about 3/4 inch out of line.

the chassis has had a helmet bar fitted between the rear uprights of the cage (no idea why they didnt fit that when it was built) now has a fresh 6.0 or slower certification. (1/4 mile)*edit

the steering has had a complete overhaul, its rack and pinion and has 4 U/J's in the coloum and the tubes going into the u/j's were 0.01 smaller, add that lot up and you get a lot of play, needless to say it's very precise now.

the complete car has been checked and cleaned, and although it looks the same as always I now know just about every nut and bolt on it which is the way I like things.

The trailer has been painted to match the new (to me) towing vehicle all in blue, the van will be vinyl'd in the next couple of weeks by my daughters boyfriend, I'l post some pics when it is, (outline of the car from front to back)

The new van gave me some problems when i first got it (injection pump, read expensive $3000+) but is now eunning fine.

Oil filter was filled before fitting, engine cranked for oil pressure (bled the gauge line of air) and got 70 psi while cranking, got fuel pressure and tried to start it. it fired and ran as soon as the first plug lit up. I drove it round the pits at the track last sunday (in the rain to check the gearbox and brakes, gearbox fine brakes not so good (hence the new mastercylinder)..

Relaxing weekend for me just finishing off the odd jobs, next meeting 10th june followed by another on the 17th.. we'll be there. all set and ready to go..

It's taken me longer than I wanted it too, but I have over an hour each way to work and back and another hour ++ to get to my workshop which just about rules out any evening work..

I'll edit this if I think of anything else that I've missed here..

Laters

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:34 pm 

Thats great sam and I thought I was busy, all I have to do is open the door and im in the garage!!! =D> =D> Barry

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:10 am 

Thanks Barry,

I might have some big news coming soon :-# :-#

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:18 am 

well done Sam
sounds like you have done a heap of work

you will now feel a lot safer in that car after going right through it & it will feel a lot smoother going down the track

best of luck with the meeting

regards
rod

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:55 am 

Thanks Rod,

once that car ran again I got the smile back on my face, I just want a trouble free year and then to go to town on it next winter (hopefully in a new workshop just outside the back door.

laters

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

Good show Sam. I know you just had to get goose bumps when that thing fired off the first time. =; =; Nothing like it. Well...OK maybe ONE other thing.

Goerge

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:08 pm 

As promised ages ago here are the pictures of my tow vehicle and trailer..

The second one was taken in Holland when we were loaded up to leave early the next mornig to get the ferry home.

oh and you see that mini winni in the background, he asked us to slow down as he could not keep up.. 350 v's my 152 ci NA diesel.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:17 pm 

cool sam! i like the matching tow rig and blue trailer. i kinda assumed you had an enclosed but i guess we all know what happens when we assume... lol

you are a true hardcore racer! \:D/

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:52 am 

it's a great trailer, very light and tows well..

it just had a coat of paint and that happened to match the van, it had odd wheels on it and the alloys were from ebay for $50 which was a lot cheaper than new steel wheels.

maybe over the winter I will extend the drawbar as it is a bit short and put a body on it.. would save us sleeping in a tent when we go away for a weekends racing.

legal limit for towing over here is 50mph, we tend to try and average that speed, it tows great at 20 over that...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

Nice tow rig Sam. What kind of fuel mileage do you get pulling that thing? My Dodge only get's about 11mpg towing my 20 ft enclosed trailer. That rig weighs about 12,000 lbs though and I run 65mph most everywhere I go.

Only major draw back to an open trailer is rain as that will really screw up a clean race car! I used one for years though and they are more economical than a box. In fact, I still have mine sitting in the driveway now, just in case! It's paid for and doesn't eat anything so it will just sit there until I need it.

That setup you have looks nice.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:36 pm 

Very cool! You must really turn some heads. Is the van an Iveco? MM

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:40 pm 

Well ken that van gets 37 mpg (uk gallon) empty and drops to about 32 when towing as seen. We did a 100 mile trip fully loaded in 90 mins the other week we were at 65 70 on the highway's. The van is my daily driver as I can't afford to insure a second car.

the whole thing has a gross train weight up to 3500 Kg, thats 7700 lbs, I'd guess that we are at about 2800 Kg (6150lbs) with everything aboard as we went to holland, everything but the kitchen sink..

The van is a Ford transit, the transit has been Europes best selling van for the last 40 years now. One of the best things with an open trailer is the looks and waves you get when out on the road.. we wave a lot =; =; =;

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:59 pm 

I agree with the Looks and waves. Back in the late 60s 0r early 70s, TV Tommy Ivo had a trailer with lexan sides so people could see the car. Like big windows.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:36 pm 

Nice rig Sam, I would have a hard time towing at 50mph. =;

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:45 pm 

yeah, I agree when you pull with an open trailer you get a lot of looks but I love the convenience of having all of your gear inside. I have come dragging home at 5 am and it's nice to just park it all in the driveway and not have to mess with unloading. Sam do they have width limits on trailers over there?

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Board index » Racing Forum » Under Construction