Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Under Construction

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:43 pm 

John .. It looks like you have a good start on it with out the help from them experienced guys.

Are you using a radius brake or a piece of tube attached to a reg. brake ?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:41 pm 

DCarr wrote:
John .. It looks like you have a good start on it with out the help from them experienced guys.

Are you using a radius brake or a piece of tube attached to a reg. brake ?

Duane:
          The radius that you see was done @ S&W. I am using a set of flanging rollers in a panel beader to do the flange where the panels overlap. It takes 3 people to handle a 4-6 ft length of cowling. One to turn the roller, one to guide it, and one to hold the other end of the cowl.
The side panels have to have a flange as well. That will be easier compared to doing the two cowl sections.

John ](*,)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:59 pm 

John ... I know exactly what your talking about needing 2-3 people to use the bead roller. I wish mine was electric. They do take some getting used to. And your right ... you only get one chance. I try to draw the thinnest line possible to follow.

I wish I lived closer .. I'd like to get involved with something like this.

Did S & W drill the dzus holes also ?

Right now all I have is a 4' brake I'm looking at getting a 10' radius brake ... but then I know a guy who just bolts a bar to the plate you lift and he gets a perfect radius ..... its a tough decision ..  expensive and heavy also.

Keep us updated as progress is made.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:42 pm 

DCarr wrote:
John ... I know exactly what your talking about needing 2-3 people to use the bead roller. I wish mine was electric. They do take some getting used to. And your right ... you only get one chance. I try to draw the thinnest line possible to follow.

I wish I lived closer .. I'd like to get involved with something like this.

Did S & W drill the dzus holes also ?

Right now all I have is a 4' brake I'm looking at getting a 10' radius brake ... but then I know a guy who just bolts a bar to the plate you lift and he gets a perfect radius ..... its a tough decision ..  expensive and heavy also.

Keep us updated as progress is made.

Duane:
          I did the Dzus holes myself. I marked the back side of the panels with a marker. Then use a center punch. Drilled 1/8" hole and used a 3/8" rotobroach to drill a clean hole. I then used a countersink tool that S&W sells.

John =;

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:48 pm 

I manged with the help of my sons and a friend to get the majority of the body work done this weekend. This is the second cowl panel that we have done. The distortion that you see if from the fact that the shoulder hoop is 2" wider than the lower frame rails. No way to make the side panels and bend them behind the cockpit without it. Once this is done I will flange the side panels and be done with it.

Till next time.
John  =;  :-$

Last edited by Blue Steele on Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:44 pm 

Looks like you got it coming along real well !!! Thanks for the updates and keep us posted

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:26 am 

Your car is looking good, thanks for the updates.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:37 pm 

This is my Dart intake with the Enderle Birdcatcher. I will be working on another aluminum fuel tank that fits behind the seat. Easier to make a new one that modify the old one. I will use the tank up front for the gas priming system.

John   =;  :-$

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:17 pm 

Good looking engine ( but arent they all ? ) ... But I want to se the new fuel cell pics and more Chassis pics !!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:18 pm 

DCarr wrote:
Good looking engine ( but arent they all ? ) ... But I want to se the new fuel cell pics and more Chassis pics !!

O.K. Duane, here you go. Just finished welding it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:57 pm 

Thats what I like to see !! Looks good ! From what I heard at work yesterday I will be getting an 80 hour course on welding and since I know the teacher very well I will get to spend all the time I want TIG welding which is what I need help with. I can do steel OK .. But I suck at Alum.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:43 pm 

Spent the day flanging the side panels. One side panel split on the flange line. I will have to replace that panel. I backed off the tension on the flange rollers and gave them a slight bevel in the lathe. I do not want to have to replace any more panels.  ](*,)  [-(

I sat in the car this week and postioned the shifter tab. The helmet bars are just below eye level. Looks like I am gonna have to get a custom seat cover for the carbon fiber seat. I need to move my shoulders about 2-3" forward. S&W sent a new crotch belt weldment so the crotch belt will pass tech. I will be working on the small items this week, Master Disconnect tab will have to be welded in, headlight tabs, add some mounts for the fuel cell, parachute lever has to be mounted, fuel shut off lever tab, welding several stainless steel bolts in for grounding purposes.
Will be looking to purchase wheels soon.

John   =;  :-$

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:33 pm 

Looks Good john nice job.
Don't forget to put a roll over valve in your fuel cell if they see it in tech they will get you for it.
Oh ya one other thing you may want to think about is putting a start button on the bottom rail for bumping the engine over comes in handy for those converter bolts .

But you may have it already on there.

keep up the good work.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:20 pm 

John
I've been following along with your build just havent commented. You are doing a great job !! Its going to be a very nice car when your all done.

http://www.nyesautomotive.net
http://www.diamondracecars.com
Fleenor Racing Glides
"get one before one gets you"

Post subject: Thanks
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:42 pm 

Guys, I appreciate your comments. We will keep plugging away till she is ready.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Board index » Racing Forum » Under Construction