Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: DA settings
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:50 pm 

Just put some Strange DA's on the rear and I have no idea what settings to use as a starting point. 70 Nova, ladder bar, 125 springs, 2900 lbs with 1320 on the rear. Calvert 90/10 with Santhuff springs with a loosened up stock front suspension.

What's a good starting point?
Do you set the right shock a click stiffer on extension?

I was told the rear suspension looked bound up, so I took the mono leaf set up off and put the coil overs on. The video shows where I was.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3GIj3xdbnk

Post subject: Re: DA settings
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:57 pm 

On my dragster I have my strange shocks set at compression full hard and extension set 3 clicks from full loose. I know it is a dragster,but it could be a start. Bob J

Post Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:53 pm 

Call strange and tell them the shock u were using and the settings those were at and they should be able to get u a good base to start with.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:40 pm 

When I talked to Strange just before buying I asked him about settings. He told me the instructions would do all that. The instructions don't explain settings at all. They tell you which way is softer and how many clicks there are and that's it. I was pretty disappointed in them. I like to go by actual racers advice anyway. I made 2 passes with them, but I had the front limiters pretty tight and weight transfer wasn't what it normally is. Then I found a screw in one of my slicks so I never got to make a pass with the front loosened up all the way.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:59 pm 

I have shock dyno tested Strange, LAMB, Carrera, Shocks, new and used etc Did them all on the same dyno. And the only ones that were true to the specification were Carrera. My advice is to know what you have, because for instance the LAMB's were different shock clicks to obtain the same resistance rating between one shock and the other of what was supposed to be a pair. Pulling a shock by hand proves nothing.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:04 pm 

That's crap, I bought some afco's , and told him what i was running with my koni's and had them set at full tight, just single adjustable and he gave me a baseline for the settings on these for rebound, and compression. Will find out in the spring. Call afco and tell them what you had for shocks and see what they say, maybe tell them u bought theirs ,lol

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:53 am 

There's a local guy here that has a shock dyno. I wouldn't know what I would want at this point, but I do want them to be the same.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:21 pm 

It's going to be a trial and error thing. When I sent my shocks to Strange to have them freshened up we decided to change the valving in them a little because of the range of settings I normally used so it can vary. I think as base setup I was told to leave the extension 2 clicks softer than the compression then adjust for your best 60'.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes