Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: 4 link setup..hmm
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:11 pm 

I actually have the car up and running, just alittle slow. But she is running. Its the same engine I had in my altered and it should be around 850-900 hp. Take it to the chassis dyno in a few weeks to tweak the efi.
I just put it on the scales. 3260 with me in it. Only 1100 lbs heavier than my altered. I have no history on the car. I was told one half pass and it scared the crap out of him and I got the car. and I think I need to check to see where the ic and cg is. My only problem now is where to start.. Have to get a book and see what is what. Is there a relatively close target I should be at with weights? Have to either get a good book or program. probably both to get a idea whats going on.

Post subject: Re: 4 link setup..hmm
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

Doug you need to map that 4 link in order to see where you are. There's some "general" stuff that you can do for an initial setup but ultimately you'll have to run the car to see what it wants.

Most 4 link setups wind up with the lower bar @ about 3* down in the front. ICs needs vary some from car to car but if memory serves, somewhere around 55" out and about 5 to 7" up comes to mind. :-k

There is some info here on this and if you use the boards search function you should get a bunch of stuff to read.

As far as computer programs go, I used Performance Trends 4 link calculator but there is some free stuff on Billy Shope's site that you may be able to use. Look him up in "Members" section here and you'll find a link to his site.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:49 am 

Kinda what I was thinking Ken, going to start today, I work 3-11pm so I get lots of time to get things done. The car seems to be setup pretty good from my little bit of knowledge.

LF 1003 RF 829

LR 718 RR 719

as far as bar mapping I am goin to do that on the scales and just subtract the distance of the scales so I can slide under the car.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:03 am 

My car is 2400 lbs. with about 52% on the rear with about 800 HP. I have my IC at 56.5" out and 5.7" up.
I think I have about 50 lbs. more on the LR than I do on the RR.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

altereddoug wrote:
Kinda what I was thinking Ken, going to start today, I work 3-11pm so I get lots of time to get things done. The car seems to be setup pretty good from my little bit of knowledge.

LF 1003 RF 829

LR 718 RR 719

as far as bar mapping I am goin to do that on the scales and just subtract the distance of the scales so I can slide under the car.

Those rear weights look good for starters. My Camaro was like 600 LR and 613 RR if memory serves.

Oh, and remember that ALL right turn or left turn at the hit adjustments should be done with the UPPER RIGHT BAR ONLY and don't go more than a couple of flats to half a turn at a time! A little bit here goes a long way on the track so you need to "sneak up on it".

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:16 pm 
Site Admin

gearhead1011 wrote:

O:) Don't think I ever heard of this before? Usually the RR is a little higher than the LR? :-k

Did this change with the "new bullet" Chuck?

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:58 pm 

as found measurements of the four link, after the 2.5" of scale height removed.

ic is 76.5 out and 7.875 up

upper front 15.312 rear upper 18.062

lower front 7.687 rear lower 7.562

going to use a 1.76 glide with a 4.56 gear and 32 tire at 5500.. going to change this around this winter, this is just what came in the car, gear and tire anyway.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:03 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
gearhead1011 wrote:

O:) Don't think I ever heard of this before? Usually the RR is a little higher than the LR? :-k

Did this change with the "new bullet" Chuck?

No, I had it that way with the 370 too. It would seem you need more weight on the RR but I had a chassis guy tell me he set them this way and oddly enough it works. I disconnect one of the drop links on the anti-roll bar and put the driver weight in it on the scales. Then make sure the top right 4link bar is neutral, adjust the springs to get the corner weights and ride height where i want it and lock everything down with the 4-link and anti-roll neutral. It goes straight as a string.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes