Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:36 pm 

"They" say a turbo spline is stronger than a PG spline. Lately I had a Turbo spline shaft and PG spline shaft side by side. What I am considering is the other end of the shaft, the end that splines into the high clutches and the planet unit. Both are a coarse spline about like the PG converter spline.

So, is there really any strength gained between a Turbo spline and PG spline when the other end of the shaft has two coarse spline areas?

Just thinking.

Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

I go Turbo spline because most converters are made that way and it's easier to buy and sell Turbo converters than PG converters. You can't use a PG converter with either a Turbo 350 or 400 tranny.

As far as how they hold up goes, as long as it's made of high quality steel I don't think it matters which one you use.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:56 am 

From what I was told the turbo spline has more surface area as it has more splines. I had a converter with PG splines and after about 1000 runs it was getting a little tough to get the converter out of the trans and once it pulled the shaft out of the trans O:) ...

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:38 am 

I was told the same thing that turbo shafts were stronger by TCI,they told me that high horsepower heavier cars tend to twist the converter splines off or twist the shaft over its length but starting from the converter spline end.....that being said i have powerglide splines in my converter and a vasco input shaft and i have had zero issues with it,but i dont make the horsepower most of these guys do.

TCI told me my vasco shaft would live to about 1000 hp,but if it were turbo splined it would live to about 1300

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes