Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: How did this glide live?
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:02 am 

I traded for a glide last year that had been built in the early 90s. I had it freshened and I knew it had nothing special but I ran it behind my 950+ hp small bock anyway. After 114 passes in my 2800 pound 4 wheel drive mud dragger, the stock high gear clutches in the stock drum looked like new! And it gets better. I just checked line pressure and it is only 155lbs! We dont run in sloppy mud, it can bite pretty good and even if 1st gear doesnt see much load, high gear really gets hit hard. All I can think is the 2.6 to one gear reduction of the transfer case offsets the heavy load from the 40" tires and 4x4 drive train. That or line pressure is over rated?

Denis

Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:48 am 
Site Admin

First thing that usually wears out in the drag race PowerGlides is the reverse clutch pack. Can't remember the last time I saw a high gear clutch pack worn out? :-k

I've seen line pressure upwards of 275psig but the last valve body I got from BTE is down around 225 if memory serves. I called about it and was told that as long as it worked, what did it matter? Now you're saying you got 155psig and it's living at that? One thing for sure is that if you're not wasting power making another 100psig in line pressure that's not needed then that's more power to the tires.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:23 am 

Thats exactly what I was thinking! More power to the tires! =; I have a 180 spring on the way and an aluminum drum so I can lose a ton of rotating weight. They say an aluminum drum is even easier on high clutches so I might try it with the pressure I have. Idk. The reverse clutches and band are perfect also.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:19 am 
Site Admin

Only negative I can see with the aluminum drum is that it will shock load the high gear change a little more as there's no weight there to cushion that engagement. If you got a good straight cut gearset though I don't think I'd be overly concerned about that.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes