Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:01 am 

Since I play in the mud with a 4 wheel drive truck I dont have any feel for what is a common weight distribution front to rear on drag cars. Barry, what is the ballpark number on your Beretta? Rick and Mark, what kind of numbers do yall get on your dragsters? Anybody else have numbers they can share? I dont need anything exact, just looking for examples. Thanks!

Denis

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:56 am 

On my initial set up I had 53.7% on the rear and 46.3% on the front. A few things have changed so there may be a slight difference now.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:23 pm 
Site Admin

That 76 Camaro I was running was somewhere near 50/50% on weight and I've been 1.15 in 60ft with that car running 5.40s in the eight mile. That car is 2500 lbs WET with an 18* SBC engine @ around 800 HP.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:56 pm 

On my dragster the REAR weight is 77%. On my Camaro the front weight was about 53-54%. On my friends Malibu the front has 60% of the weight.

Rick

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:25 am 

With the new engine and the block being heavier along with the vacuum pump it's now 51% on the rear and 49% on the front..

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:20 am 

Thanks guys. 77% on a dragster is crazy! I knew the rear would be heavy but I didnt think it would be that heavy. Ken, at a glance that Camaro looks like 3200 pounds! lol

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:29 am 
Site Admin

axegrinder wrote:
Thanks guys. 77% on a dragster is crazy! I knew the rear would be heavy but I didnt think it would be that heavy. Ken, at a glance that Camaro looks like 3200 pounds! lol

The 1955 Studebaker Pro Street car I have is a mostly steel full chassis car that weighs close to 3500lbs wet. That car has 1860 lbs on the rear tires, which is like 54% of the total.

The Camaro is pretty light for a rectangular chassis car but it is round tube from the 4link mounts back, which made it somewhat lighter. That car was 2425 with the driver.

The dragster I have now is light enough on the front end that I can pick it up by myself. Can't stand up with it like that but I can get the front wheels off the ground with it all up without the driver. Don't know what it weighs or what the percentages are but it's light and may even be too light on the front end. Will find out when I get a new set of tires next spring.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:42 pm 

Ken0069 wrote:
The dragster I have now is light enough on the front end that I can pick it up by myself. Can't stand up with it like that but I can get the front wheels off the ground with it all up without the driver. Don't know what it weighs or what the percentages are but it's light and may even be too light on the front end. Will find out when I get a new set of tires next spring.

Sucks getting old... =; I used to carry mine around, and I could also pull around my old open car trailer as well by hand. Not anymore... =P~

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:10 pm 
Site Admin

jmarkaudio wrote:
Sucks getting old... =;

But you have to admit, it beats the hell out of the alternative! O:) \:D/ Hell, I'm proud to be decrepit! ;-)

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes