Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post subject: Mark Williams Coupler?
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:50 pm 
Site Admin

Well, I've got the rear end out of the dragster and now I can't get the pinion nut off? My air wrench won't budge it and the 6 inch bench vise I have won't hold tight enough where I can turn that nut with a pull handle?? [-( I hate to have to cut that nut off but that may have to happen if someone can't tell me a good way to loosen that thing. I looked on the MW site and they got a "special tool" to hold those thing with but it's $180 plus the ride! O:) [-(

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:05 pm 

Your a guy that can "make" things......so make one =; .. Then find some one with a 3/4 or 1" air drive... =;

Best MPH 170.71
Barry

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:42 pm 

I always borrow a 48" pipe wrench from work to hold it when I'm working on one. I use some sheet alum to protect between teeth and yoke (4-link car w/driveshaft not coupler).

After looking at a pic of a coupler I see there isn't anything to "grab" onto as its round. Put a chunk of aluminum in the teeth and rotate until it stops, then breaker bar it.

Rick

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:59 pm 

Might go to the local truck repair shop, try a 3/4 or 1" impact on it...

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:21 pm 
Site Admin

Rick those coupelers are hardened too so the vice won't dig in to hold it. I tightened that vise up until the handle bent and it still turned when I had an 18" pull bar on it.

Mark I made two calls this afternoon looking for a 3/4 drive air wrench but no luck yet. Will check into that more tomorrow.

Barry, making something to hold that thing with would require equipment that I don't have and probably more time than I want to put into it. Wonder if MW would rent me one? :-k

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:37 pm 

rick360 wrote:
I always borrow a 48" pipe wrench from work to hold it when I'm working on one. I use some sheet alum to protect between teeth and yoke (4-link car w/driveshaft not coupler).

After looking at a pic of a coupler I see there isn't anything to "grab" onto as its round. Put a chunk of aluminum in the teeth and rotate until it stops, then breaker bar it.

Rick

I think you missed this or misunderstood ... I mean to put an aluminum piece between the teeth of the ring and pinion then that will hold the gears from turning while you breaker bar the nut loose. you should be able to hold the housing still. It shouldn't hurt the teeth as they're much harder and the driveshaft would put many times more torque than your wrench.

Rick

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

Rick the rear end is apart and the 4:56 ring gear is already on the spool. I guess I could put it all back but not sure I could hold the aluminum case in the vise either without horking it up pulling on it?

I'll see if I can locate a larger air wrench tomorrow.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:06 am 

Look for somewhere that works on construction equipment.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:19 am 

A Truck Stop or a Tire Repair Shop

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes