Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:34 am 

Hi guys, been a while since I last posted, been busy building our new digger, will post up some pics of it shortly

I have a question regarding MT slicks. On their chart here http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/stri ... tem=ETDrag MT list the tire i'm running as needing tubes. Now we just bought some real nice rims and don't want to be drilling them for rim screws which look firggin ugly on a nostalgia car. It seems the only tires they recommend as tubeless are the R1 compound. What other possible reason could there be as to why the tires should or shouldn't run tubes. ?

Phil

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:02 am 

I run the 30761 without tubes and have never had an issue. In fact I use rim screws without tubes. If you coat the inside of the tire with Slime before you mount them up you won't have trouble with them loosing air. You should mark the tire and rim so you can make sure the tires aren't slipping on the rims. I know a lot of guys that run the tube type slick without tubes without any issues. The only other advantage to using tubes is it stiffens the sidewall which is helpful on some cars.

Chuck's Automotive
Full line Computech dealer
chucksautomotive@yahoo.com

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:27 am 
Site Admin

Phil, like gearhead I run that same 30761 tire tubeless and I do have screws in the rims. I tried running them without screws but they moved so much on the rims that I finally went ahead and drilled and screwed them. I was having to take them off and switch them side to side to make them move back. Hoosier tires worked real well without screws though and I did run a pair of those until they wore out without any screws in'em.

I coat the inside of my tires with dish washing liquid and they stay up pretty good. Never a problem with them going down at the race track but they will go flat over a 2 week or so time period just sitting in the shop.

Another advantage to running them tubeless that gearhead didn't mention and some WILL NOT DO is to put a tubeless tire plug in them if you get a hole in'em. I've run Goodyears and Hoosiers with plugs in them over a period of time almost to a point where the cord was showing and never had a tire failure. YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY! But for me a normal part of my car trailer tool box is a tubeless tire plug kit. If you get a hole in a tube, then you're going home early. Me, if I get a hole in a slick then it gets a plug and I go to next round.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:06 am 

thanks guys, my minds made up to mount them tubeless with the old soap trip. We're gonna try this permatex hi-tack stuff and glue them on too. Just bought the first set of Rocket Racing Injector wheels to land in the UK, been waiting 5 months and theres no way I'm drilling them, too nice to whack screws into and I can't drill a straight hole for s**t !

Don't think the tire moving will be an issue for us, the car will probably only be about 1600lbs with my fat ass in it. It's only 138in wheelbase with an alky injected 434 SBC so I'm running a 3.70 gear to keep it from going skywards and to bring the stripe RPM down, won't hit that hard on the launch but should go well, high 8's easy.

Board index » Racing Forum » Drive Train, Suspension and Brakes